Military Science Fiction discussion

Honor Harrington V. Lost Fleet

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tony (new)

Tony Evans (tonyevans) | 5 comments I read the Honor Harrington series by David Weber when I was in high school. I had no idea what the book was about and, at the time, I didn't have much experience in the military sci fi genre. Through the years I read something like 9 or 10 books in the series and thought it was phenomenal. I didn't really have anything to compare it to until I recently read through the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. They are the only two series of books I read of that type of book (I'm not sure what the name of this sub genre is called). I think there is more character building in Honor than in the Lost Fleet and the protagonist changes more dramatically in Honor but I like the space battles more in the Lost Fleet. Are there any other series out there that fall in line with these books?

message 2: by Cor Markhart (new)

Cor Markhart | 2 comments The problem with Lost Fleet is that there is nearly no character development over all the books.. they all can stand more less alone. It is also a lot more realistic in the technological aspects and warfare.

Lt. Leary, Commanding is comparable to Honor Harrington. Both are more or less the space variant of Honoratio Hornblower.

A Galaxy Unknown is also military space-based Sci-Fi

Maybe Rogue Clone

Anything else that comes to mind is just really low quality work and not really worth recing.

LeisureSuitLarry | 1 comments How about Young Miles? It's the first book in the Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold. Same publisher, great series.

March Upcountry doesn't have as much space, but the character interaction has a similar feel. Also the same publisher; there may be a theme here.

message 4: by Gerrie (new)

Gerrie Du Toit (gerriedutoit) | 2 comments I agree with Leisuresuitlarry. Most definitely the Vorkosigan series. The first book however is called Cordelia's Honor. The series starts before Miles' birth with his mother.

message 5: by Gerrie (new)

Gerrie Du Toit (gerriedutoit) | 2 comments Oh, and how could I forget... Talking of Horatio Hornblower in Space - this theme is epitomised in the Seafort Saga by David Feintuch. The first book in this series is called A Midshipman's Hope.

message 6: by Tony (new)

Tony Evans (tonyevans) | 5 comments Honor seemed to have more complete world building and fleet development where the Lost Fleet seemed to be more combat driven. It feels like this sub genre should have a name I just don't know what it is.

A Galaxy Unknown seems pretty interesting I have to give that a shot. I keep hearing about Horatio Hornblower, I'm not sure if I would like that type of book... you know... because its not in space and all, lol.

message 7: by Clinton (new)

Clinton Sheppard (handcraftsman) | 1 comments The Starfire series by David Weber and Steve White is another outstanding example.

message 8: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Brown (ohthataaronbrown) | 2 comments Personally, I categorize the sub-genre as space opera :)

I read the Horatio Hornblower series _after_ Honor Harrington, based on everyone saying that Honor was Hornblower in space. I seriously disliked Hornblower, both as a character and as a series.

message 9: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Brown (ohthataaronbrown) | 2 comments I recommend the Takeshi Kovacs series by Richard K. Morgan (Starts with Altered Carbon).

Very gritty, very hardcore. Not fleet-based, but definitely military, and mind-bendingly inventive.

message 10: by Tony (new)

Tony Evans (tonyevans) | 5 comments Altered Carbon is a book on my TBR list. I knew it was military sci fi but I didn't realize it was part of a series. From the synopsis: "a person’s consciousness can be stored in a cortical stack at the base of the brain and easily downloaded into a new body (or “sleeve”) making death nothing more than a minor blip on a screen." I liked Surface Detail in this respect. It really delved into the whole digital afterlife.

Space opera sounds good to me although 'opera' always had a dramatic connotation to it for me.

message 11: by Cor Markhart (new)

Cor Markhart | 2 comments Actually I find that only the first Takeshi Kovac (Altered Carbon) book is good.
The later books are full of strange political/philosophical concepts and really bad plot.

message 12: by Yutg (last edited Sep 16, 2013 10:18AM) (new)

Yutg | 4 comments Frontiers Saga by Ryk Brown I kinda use it to satisfy my love for Military scifi while I wait for the next Lost Stars books, a spinoff series to the Lost Fleet. I think its a good balance between Honor Harrington and the Lost Fleet.

message 13: by Tony (new)

Tony Evans (tonyevans) | 5 comments Beyond the Frontier series is a continuation of The Lost Fleet series. I read the first book in that series, its more of the same. If the Lost Stars series turn out to be something like Honor Harrington then I might have to pick that one up to.

message 14: by Yutg (new)

Yutg | 4 comments Tony wrote: "Beyond the Frontier series is a continuation of The Lost Fleet series. I read the first book in that series, its more of the same. If the Lost Stars series turn out to be something like Honor Harri..."

Tony wrote: "Beyond the Frontier series is a continuation of The Lost Fleet series. I read the first book in that series, its more of the same. If the Lost Stars series turn out to be something like Honor Harri..."

I've read Tarnished Knight and Perilous shield. Its not Harrington for one thing it has better action scenes. I think its similar without the treecats. I recommend it.

message 15: by Mike (last edited Oct 11, 2013 02:55AM) (new)

Mike Franklin (madmountainman) Hi there, Tony! Thought I might join this group!!

I would call it military space opera (or possibly political/military space opera in Weber's case) and I think Weber and Campbell (John Hemry) are two of the best at it. Yes the Vorkosigan books are good but, in my opinion, fall well short of Weber and Campbell. Sadly, I find too many plot holes, clichés and, most particularly, major stretches of my belief in Bujold's work, whilst Weber and Campbell seem to construct their plots much more tightly and much more believably which latter point is actually more important for me.

I could site many other enjoyable military SF series (Huff's Valor Confederation, Shepherd's Kris Longknife, Ringo's Posleen War, Weber and Ringo's Empire of Man etc.) but, in my opinion, they all suffer (particularly the last two mentioned) from similar plausibility issues and just don't come close to HH and Lost Fleet in quality.

I would say that Campbell's technology (apart from the very dubious first appearance of John Geary) is a little more believable than Weber's and Weber's character building is considerably better than Campbell's. Where Campbell is much better in the Lost Fleet series is in the battles and the battle tactics. It is one of the few series of Space Opera books I have come across that genuinely takes into consideration just how hard it is to stop in space!

I would possibly suggest Elizabeth Moon's Serrano books as having a similar feel and being the best of the rest (I was a little surprised not to see them on your shelves). They are not pure military space opera, having a considerable amount of on planet action, but then the same could be said of HH.

message 16: by Yutg (new)

Yutg | 4 comments John Ringo's Troy series there are three books
1. Live free or Die
2. Troy rising
3. Hot gates

Basically it starts from present day tech and earth's troubled, long and difficult road into an intergalactic super power that is a little/a lot hard to believe. its advantage is in its numerous political and social conditions dealt in the series. One of the problems of this series is that there are only 3. I think the author is stuck that at the point of the plot in book 3 Earth/Terra is OVER-powered. They can basically beat everybody. There is little need for tactics. A lot of characters though so I place it closer to HH.

message 17: by Tony (new)

Tony Evans (tonyevans) | 5 comments There's 7 books in the Serrano series. Added them, I hope I can get to the 1st in the series before the end of the year. They sound promising.

message 18: by Mike (new)

Mike Franklin (madmountainman) You can get the first three Serrano books in an omnibus edition just called Heris Serrano, which is probably the cheapest way to get them. You should be aware that after those first three (or maybe the fourth as well, I can't remember for sure) Heris Serrano herself plays a much more peripheral part with her junior relatives and protégé's featuring more prominently. All of which is probably a good idea; I feel that Weber would have done better doing this with HH as was his original intent.

message 19: by Claude (new)

Claude Whitlock | 1 comments Hi all, I am also a Sc-fi fanatic and have been for a long time. Love Lost Fleet and Beyond the Frontier.
Here are some to try that I loved.
The Antares series by Michael McCollum
The Gilbraltar series by the same author.
Here is a link to the authors site.
http://www.scifi-az.com/novels.htm
Hope you like them.

message 20: by Yutg (new)

Yutg | 4 comments I recently encountered a new series Crimson Worlds by Jay AllenJay Allan It has Fleet battles, Politics and ground battles.

message 21: by Alex (new)

Alex Shrugged (alex_shrugged) | 2 comments Yutg wrote: "John Ringo's Troy series there are three books
1. Live free or Die
2. Troy rising
3. Hot gates
"

I'm finishing up "Hot Gates" now. Loved the "Troy Rising" series and the lessons in Libertarianism he gives throughout. And ... I wish there were more but John Ringo has a number of books out and I have a few of them on the shelf waiting to be read... so I'm looking forward to all of them.

message 22: by Alex (new)

Alex Shrugged (alex_shrugged) | 2 comments Claude wrote: "Here are some to try that I loved.
The Antares series by Michael McCollum
The Gilbraltar s..."

Don't forget the "Life Probe" series too. That was only two books but I loved them.

message 23: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Crystal | 1 comments Just thought I'd add a few series to the list I haven't seen posted yet:

For those of you who liked Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series, he also wrote some earlier series under the name John G. Hemry that were very good: JAG in Space and Stark's War each have multiple volumes

Another great series on the future of AI was the Polity series by Neal Asher. (Not as military as some but does have space warfare)

Also, there is the Kris Longknife series by Mike Shepard that is very good and up to 13 books already!

Glen Cook's Starfishers series is pretty good

John Ringo has a number of series I enjoyed. Besides the Troy series mentioned earlier, there is the Council Wars, Empire of Man, and Looking Glass series that I really liked. (He also has the Legacy of Aldenata series, but I'm less fond of that one...)

Another great series is Legion of the Damned by William C Dietz

message 24: by Colin (new)

Colin | 76 comments I have read a couple of the Legion of the Damned, and they were very good.

I have also read several Legacy of Aldenata, and I thought most of them were also very good. I have not read any other Ringo books, although I probably should.

message 25: by Keith (new)

Keith | 8 comments I have read a few of the Harrington series, as well as a couple of the Lt. Leary series from Drake. I like them well enough, but I find that I am not usually as interested in strictly Navy themes. I was in the infantry, and more ground-based stuff is what I find myself more interested in. The General and Belasarius series are more to my liking. I do have to say, though, that I LOVED Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series, as well as everything that I have ever read from Elizabeth Moon. Both of those ladies seem to write more about fleet/espionage themes than pure ground pounding, but I like it.

message 26: by Nemo (new)

Nemo (thelurkeratthethreshold) | 1 comments I'd like to recommend Dread Empire's Fall, by Walter Jon Williams.
The best way to describe it is as a mix of Seafort Saga-esque space opera mixed in with some A Song of Ice and Fire, I would not say the space combat is as good as what you'd see in Honor Harrington or even The Lost Fleet, but it is a pretty decent series.
F.M. Busby's Rissa Kerguelen and Bran Tregare series had some decent space combat as well IIRC.

message 27: by Colin (new)

Colin | 76 comments I read one of the Dread Empire's Fall books, Conventions of War , and I liked it. Eventually I need to get around to reading the rest of the series.

message 28: by Nashoa (last edited Aug 30, 2014 01:29AM) (new)

Nashoa | 3 comments I love both HH and the Lost Fleet but they feel quite different to me. Honor is more about the characters and world building than the, very good, action. The Lost Fleet is mostly action first with little character development. It does have some nice world building in the later books however.

As mentioned above, the Lt. Leary series is close in theme to Honor. Yet, the main characters are a lot less likable in many ways. It was a huge turn off for me.

A lot of great suggestions have already been given but I am going to add two probably lesser known authors.

Admiral Who? by Luke Sky Wachter is a really nice space opera series I found recently. It's a bit rough in places but it keeps you guessing and is a fun read. I bought it simply because of the authors name but I really loved it.

Into the Black: Odyssey One by Evan C. Currie. Still early in the series, book 3, but its a good military science fiction with lots of action and and interesting plot so far. More like the Lost Fleet than Honor. I do wish it was a little harder on the science but its still a fun read.

message 29: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 16 comments A Call to Duty by David Weber a new spin off is out has anyone picked it up yet?