City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion


480 views
The movie! Anyone disappointed...?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Brittany Okay so I just saw the movie, I loved it. But I am honestly disappointed by some of the cast. First, I didn't like Jamie Campbell Bower as jace, but after watching the movie, I was fine with him. Second, Isabelle just did NOT live up to the character in the book. She's supposed to be gorgeous, and honestly clary was way hotter than her. Last, I was disappointed in the person they chose as Alec. He looks too old. But despite those disappointments, I loved the movie & can't wait for the next one!!! How does everybody else feel?


Minerva I am going tonite to see it, I hope I love it. I am also disappointed with who is playing Jace, but I hope tonite changes my mind. :)


.stechi. I agree with you for the most part. Besides the siblings you mentioned, Simon also, did not live up to his character in that he just did not look like a Simon. I imagined Simon as a little more scrawny and innocent looking or something along such lines. And Magnus, I thought he would have a different voice. Hard to explain but more deep/ magical? lols. But the over all quality of the movie wasnt too bad. Had there been less cheesy scenes it might even be considered good. Let's hope improvement will be seen in the second one.


Mariah Haring I was not disappointed with the movie. Not at all. Sure there was some changes in the plot, but I really do not think it hurt the movie. The acting was good, the animation was good, the romantic scenes were good but not overly sappy. I seem to be one of the only people who actually liked the idea of Jamie being Jace and he did not disappoint. All in all I thought the movie was great, and my friend who had never read the books thought the same thing.


Brittany I think Magnus's character was really underdone, like he should have been more "out there." He should have been more sarcastic and witty and they movie he just seemed like a background character with some lines, if I hadn't read the book I wouldn't have thought he was an important character and I wouldn't have remembered him after the movie, that was disappointing, BUT, the fact that he just had on underwear was a better description of what his character should have been lol.


Brittany Stephanie wrote: "I agree with you for the most part. Besides the siblings you mentioned, Simon also, did not live up to his character in that he just did not look like a Simon. I imagined Simon as a little more scr..."

I actually sort of liked Simon. Lol. I thought he was goofy but kinda cute.


Amber Before I even knew there was a movie. Jamie is who I pictured as Jace. After seeing Camelot and some other films he has been in I thought he would be perfect and I am glad to hear some of you thought he did a great job after seeing him in the movie. Now I definitely can't wait to watch it.


Maddie Meyer Okay, the movie was REALLY CLOSE to the book in my opinion. My only big concern was Jace. I mean Jamie could be really nice, but I just didn't really picture him as Jace. I LOVED how they took lines directly from the book and used them in the movie! I loved Simon, and I totally believed Simon and Clary's relationship (almost more than Jace and Clary). Am I the only one who felt this way?


Kaitlin Maddie wrote: "Okay, the movie was REALLY CLOSE to the book in my opinion. My only big concern was Jace. I mean Jamie could be really nice, but I just didn't really picture him as Jace. I LOVED how they took line..."

I totally agree with you. I was actually rooting for Simon in the movie and I was annoyed by him in the book! I hated Jamie as Jace. I don;t think he looks or acts like him and I could not for the life me get into the Jace Clary love story. It's one of my favorite love stories and I didn't feel it at all or even want them to be together in the movie. And oh my gosh what is up with his hair?!


EvaCatReads I was disappointed. WTH was up with Valentine's hair?!


Gabby At first I looked at everything and was like "hmm, i'm not sure." But I ended up LOVING THE MOVIE. I cried at the party scene. Overload of malec awesomeness.

http://isabelleandthewhip.tumblr.com/...


message 12: by Son (new) - rated it 4 stars

Son I was a little dissappointed actually. I think i would have enjoyed it more if i hadn't read the books a billion times and maybe my expectations were a little high. I understand that they have to change things for a movie to go smoothly but i found they lost a lot of the humor in the adaptation. Yeh there were those few one liners but not the amount in the books.
Alec looked too old.
There was one part in it that i totally didnt agree with and my biggest let down was Magnus Bane. I think of Magnus as this flaymboyant quirky character with a rich mellow english accented voice instead i got a freaky weirdly quirky character with slightly shit acting!
Jace actually grew on me when i was set against not liking Jamie doing it! And all in all the special affects and certain romance scenes and epic fight scenes were great and i didn't hate it just didn't love it as much as i thought i would!


message 13: by Son (new) - rated it 4 stars

Son Eva wrote: "I was disappointed. WTH was up with Valentine's hair?!"
I know Right!! but i think jonathan Rhys Myers was one of the better parts of the film!


Ariane Jamie's voice is perfect for Jace and same as everybody else. Magnus exposure is not as frequent but nah...I love the movie...its worth the wait.

I love how they crafted the monsters and Lizzy is hot in some angle. The feel inside the silent brothers place is so eerie and its perfect! : )


Katie The movie was amazing, but I still was dissapointed with cast and script. I agree Clary was way hotter than Isabel, and in the book she's like the diva, and Alec, seriously he had to be 3 times hotter than they chose the actor.
and for the script, why did they make the last scene in the Institute, and forgive me if I am wrong, but I remember that Valentine got away with a Mortal Cup. And Simon going to rat? it was the funniest thing in the book.
but I did like the movie, and some of it's parts like Izzy's wip, that was seriously awesome.
can't wait for the second movie.


Casey Loved it but I wish that there was more Magnus!


message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Worst movie based on a book I've ever seen. Ever.


message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Eva wrote: "I was disappointed. WTH was up with Valentine's hair?!"

I KNOW. I mean, I might be wrong, but I can't even count the times Cassandra described Valentine's hair as nothing but blond. Blond blond blond.


EvaCatReads Lisa wrote: "Eva wrote: "I was disappointed. WTH was up with Valentine's hair?!"

I KNOW. I mean, I might be wrong, but I can't even count the times Cassandra described Valentine's hair as nothing but blond. Bl..."


Did anyone else just want to yank those stupid braids out?! What were they about? Who's bright idea was that?


Katie Eva wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Eva wrote: "I was disappointed. WTH was up with Valentine's hair?!"

I KNOW. I mean, I might be wrong, but I can't even count the times Cassandra described Valentine's hair as nothing ..."


I really did wanted to!! I mean WTH???? I love Jonathan, but really??? braids?


message 21: by Pierrette (last edited Aug 24, 2013 05:24AM) (new) - added it

Pierrette So, I just watched the movie and I have to say that overall it was good but it could have been better.
And yes I understand the whole book to film transition replacing and removing stuff.

I don't mind so much about the actors chosen, except for Isabelle; It really bugs me that she's not like the books (mainly because I love her character) She's meant to be tall, slender with dark features...um no she wasn't.

The one thing I did not like was the swapping of the scenes. It felt like they swapped things around too much and left a whole bunch of information out. I watched it with my friend and she said that she felt it was a little confusing and they left vital information out. Coming from someone who hadn't even read the books. I pretty much explained certain stuff to her so she could make sense of it.

I did like the funny one liners within the movie and the special effects were awesome.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the next one will turn out.
3.5 stars out of 5.


karola In my personal opinion the movie could have been way better than it was. The movie was good but it could have been GREAT. I didn't like the fact that they change some major character trait that define the characters in the book. There is a reason the book became so popular, we the fans fell in love with it the way it was written.

Ok. I'm not going to bother with how the plot was change and how they change some scenes. I get it the producers had to make some changes for film adaptation, but can they at least respect the illusion with the characters.

Like Isabelle, was describe as beautiful,black hair dominant none of that was portrayed in the actress that was chosen for that role, she was only plain cute.

Alec's character look much older in the movie.

Simon wasn't wearing his "saying" t-shirts.

Valentine was describe as a blond elegant men taken out from a GQ magazine. His movie character had longish black hair and was dressed as vagabond.

By the way I think it would have been so awesome if they had included the flying motorcycle scene from the book.


Christina karola wrote: "In my personal opinion the movie could have been way better than it was. The movie was good but it could have been GREAT. I didn't like the fact that they change some major character trait that def..."

My biggest issue with the portrayal of Izzy was her total lack of attitude. She's supposed to be sassy and intimidating, but at this rate, she'll be best friends with Clary before the end of the second movie.


Jean-Sebastien -B- was not disapointed, beside a big change that i cant stand (no spoiler) if you want know what i mean mesage me i ll talk in private not too spoil other) but beside that change and i will like see Godfrey Gao a bit bad ass for a big warlock.. but beside all that 9/10 go watch it.


Scarlett I am very nervous to see this movie because the reviews are HORRIBLE. Normally I read reviews with a grain of salt, but they are ALL bad. I am worried it will be another mistake like Twilight


message 26: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy How was Aiden Turner? Luke is my favorite character, and I love Aiden Turner from The Hobbit.


Jean-Sebastien -B- @Scarlett never listnen to reviews always judge it your self ok yes there changes but its a movie if you do like what i did.. and go open minded its a good movie but if you go there expecting be page by page well ull be disapointed.. remember its based from the book dosent mean need be page by page go open minded and you ll enjoy it i gave it 9\10


message 28: by Pierrette (new) - added it

Pierrette Greenwood1 wrote: "@Scarlett never listnen to reviews always judge it your self ok yes there changes but its a movie if you do like what i did.. and go open minded its a good movie but if you go there expecting be p..."

That's probably the best thing you could do when going to watch a movie. I read the reviews and went into the movie with low expectations and came out relatively liking the movie more than I thought. You have to see it for yourself to decide whether you like it or not.


message 29: by A (new) - rated it 5 stars

A I was devastated when i left the theater :(


Christina A wrote: "I was devastated when i left the theater :("

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it. Was it everything about the movie that put you off, or just a handful of things?


Phunkypunk I seen the movie last night and loved it. I mean most movies based on books don't live up to the full expectation but if you were to detail a movie as much as a book it would be a 5 hour movie atleast. I think they did fairly well with getting as much as the book in as possible but I believe there were a few bigger things they missed. I loved most of the actors they chose. Jace and Clary are hot and completely live up to my expectations same with Valentine and Clarys Mum. Isabelle and Alec disappointed a little and Magnus was not what I expected but he grew on me. I very much look forward to seeing the following movies come out I just hate that they take too long!!


message 32: by Madi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Madi I liked the movie a lot but I was very disappointed too. Characters are one thing, but they changed parts of the book and left things out that I wish they didn't. I didn't really picture the book how the movie portrayed it but I guess that everyone sees it differently. Jamie grew on me with his accent in the movie, I was very disappointed that Alex Pettyfer turned down the role. I didn't like how they showed that Simon got bit but never went on with it, they just left it as he had bite marks and didn't need glasses, that annoyed me. Why did the climax have to happen in the institute? Why couldn't it have happened where it did in the book? I was annoyed and disappointed with a lot of things in the movie but thats expected with a book to movie. Did anyone else think the silent brothers were really creepy? I pictured them less human but I think they fit the role. I can't believe they left out Simon turning into a rat. I was very let down when it didn't happen. I sort of wish the movie was just like the book but that doesn't happen. Hands down the Book was better than the movie, and if you say other wise go see a doctor. Just Kidding. I'll see the next one and the rest if they make the movies but they'll never be good enough. I think if I hadn't read the books, I would have like the movie a lot more. My expectations were raised really high, which meant disappointment was to come and it did but the movie was still good. I think I would give it a 3.5 to 4 stars out of 5. Is anyone else going to have to read the series each time the next movie comes out or is that just me? I can't wait for the last book! I actually think the movie made me love the books more.


Claudia I was not disappointed I loved the movie so much i would love to see it again. And count the days till the DVD comes out.......


message 34: by Tess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tess I was very much so disappointed. They rewrote the last hour or so and the beginning was out of order. First off, Demons and werewolves CANNOT be in the institute. It's physically impossible! They should have burned the moment they stepped foot there. Secondly, the cast was Horrible! Especially Jace. He was supposed to be funny and giddy and the comic relief of the story. He had funny lines that came from the book, but he was monotone and serious and dead. Plus, Jamie is UGLY! He's a scrawny little boy that takes two belts to keep up his leather pants! and then still, he's sagging! It doesn't look like he's been fighting demons a third of his life. also, Alec was way too old! He looked 30! The actors were just horrible. Third, it was cheesy. Those slow mo scenes when Clary froze the demons was terrible. Isabell and Simon were just staring at Clary thinking "Wow! She's drawing a rune on her hand." I hated how she could freeze the demons in the first place. And when she cleaned up her house at the end, that was dumb. Clary's not Dumbledore! I could go on and on about the movie's faults, but that would take forever. If Cassandra Clare had any say in that movie, I feel embarrassed for her.


Julia Omg. Okay so anyone who didn't life it I'm sorry but I absolutely loved it so much. What did disappoint me, was that it wasn't as detailed as the book therefore each scene that would be in the book wasn't very detailed therefore wasn't very long either. But I just saw it and I absolutely loved it. And I think the cast was great too!


message 36: by Kylie (last edited Aug 25, 2013 12:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kylie I just saw it, and I was very disappointed. THEY TOOK OUT SOME OF THE FUNNIEST LINES!!! AND EVEN THE FUNNY LINES THEY DID KEEP IN WEREN'T DONE WELL!!! I also did not like Jamie as Jace because he's not gorgeous and charismatic enough. He was too serious in the movie. He's supposed to be egotistical, amusing, and arrogant!!! I did not like Alec!!! He was WAY too old!!! I did, however like Simon and Magnus!!! GODFREY GAO IS JUST SO GORGEOUS!!! I was really upset that they cut out many hilarious Magnus scenes and lines!!! AND SIMON WAS SUPPOSED TO BE TURNED INTO A RAT!!! AND ISABELLE WASN'T SASSY, INTIMIDATING, WITTY, AND GORGEOUS LIKE SHE'S SUPPOSED TO BE!!! I am still reeling... I feel that if I hadn't read the books I would like the movie... The movie itself was good, but it was nothing compared to the books, and that it why I am so incredibly disappointed...


Josephine Kylie wrote: "I just saw it, and I was very disappointed. THEY TOOK OUT SOME OF THE FUNNIEST LINES!!! AND EVEN THE FUNNY LINES THEY DID KEEP IN WEREN'T DONE WELL!!! I also did not like Jamie as Jace because he's..."

I was also very disappointed about the fact that they cut the funniest lines away. Although... there was a scene when Magnus saw Clary for the first time an that he said: ''Thanks for bringing the cute one.'' Jace said: ''Thank you.'' He thought it was about Clary. But Magnus replied: ''No the one with the blue eyes.'' And he pointed at Alec. That was the ONLY hilarious part of the movie.
BTW. Jace is like a wimp and Alec is just a creep. I hoped Isabelle was the deadly serious one but she wasn't. Valentine was like a dirty tramp instead of an organized, self-controlled man. I am really disappointed!


Brittany Eva wrote: "I was disappointed. WTH was up with Valentine's hair?!"

I loved his hair!!


Brittany Josephine wrote: "Kylie wrote: "I just saw it, and I was very disappointed. THEY TOOK OUT SOME OF THE FUNNIEST LINES!!! AND EVEN THE FUNNY LINES THEY DID KEEP IN WEREN'T DONE WELL!!! I also did not like Jamie as Ja..."

I didn't think that part was really funny, I thought some other parts were funny and I kinda found myself laughing through bits and pieces of the movie. Lol.


Scarlett Yes, but as a movie buff sometimes there is some truth in reviews. If something flows nicely, witty, and has good acting it will get a review. Take example Harry Potter and the Hunger games both those movies recieved good or great reviews because they had all teh criterea. While Twilight recieved bad reviews because it lacked all theree. Reviews aren't everything but they are relevant.


Maddie Meyer Kaitlin wrote: "Maddie wrote: "Okay, the movie was REALLY CLOSE to the book in my opinion. My only big concern was Jace. I mean Jamie could be really nice, but I just didn't really picture him as Jace. I LOVED how..."

Not to be rude, but yeah. I agree. It's just not how I pictured Jace..


message 42: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Iyah wrote: "I was not disappointed with the movie. Not at all. Sure there was some changes in the plot, but I really do not think it hurt the movie. The acting was good, the animation was good, the romantic sc..."

ok so there were plot changes cause it's been forever since i read the book and i absolutely adore the movie it's my top three now but what exactly were they cause i was a lil confused are they cutting max out and i thought isabelle and alec's last name was lightwood?


Jean-Sebastien -B- max only arive in city of ashes


Gabby Brittany wrote: "Eva wrote: "I was disappointed. WTH was up with Valentine's hair?!"

I loved his hair!!"


Same, when I frst saw it i was like "what the hell" but now I love it lol.


Gabby Christine wrote: "Iyah wrote: "I was not disappointed with the movie. Not at all. Sure there was some changes in the plot, but I really do not think it hurt the movie. The acting was good, the animation was good, th..."

Um...there names were lightwood...


message 46: by Mary (last edited Aug 25, 2013 04:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Ossing Yeah I was a little disappointed because:

1. Jace was all wrong, his image, his personality, everything. He would never make his feelings for Clary that obvious and when Simon opens the door on them he wouldn't show his anger like he did in the movie, he would just resort to his usual sarcastic self because his anger would make him seem vulnerable and he would never want to look vulnerable. Also, he never seemed to be able to crack jokes and be sarcastic the way Jace should. Sorry but Jamie Campbell Bower pretty much ruined Jace

2. Magnus may not be much of a major character in this book but he becomes a lot more important so they should have worked more on his personality because he had the right look but as soon as he started speaking you lost all interest in him.

3. Isabelle had the right look and was badass like she should be but she wasn't as bitchy to Clary as she was in the book, but other than that she was alright.

4. Valentine was okay I guess, he was nothing like he was in the book but that didn't bother me as long as he was insane and hellbent on getting the mortal cup, and being a family again. What was bad was that he fought with Jace. I know that they kind of fight in the book but Valentine doesn't really want to kill him which he tried to do in the movie.

5. The ending was a mess. If I hadn't read the book I would have been incredibly confused. First there's Hodge, I know he turned evil and gave Valentine the cup then Valentine told him he couldn't lift the curse, so he continues to help Valentine? Why? And then He has a sudden change of heart and decides to fight against Valentine? And then does he die? Does he get arrested by the Clave? Does he run away? We never find out. Second, one of the most important things about the end of the book was that when Jace sees Valentine he recognizes him as his father NOT as the evil murderous shadowhunter that he is. Which is why in the next book Jace struggles with who's side he should be on. So in the movie when he first sees him as the evil killer and not as his father Valentine decides to give him a vision where he's Jace's father and flip his ring around. I'm sorry but I would not be convinced by that. Finally, when Hodge says to Valentine "There is someone here she (Clary) cares more about than her mother", or something like that, and "If you were to tell them they were brother and sister you'd break both their hearts" I was like, WHAT WAS THAT FOR? YOU JUST GAVE AWAY THE BIGGEST MYSTERY OF THE SERIES? NOW I HAVE NO REASON TO SEE THE NEXT MOVIE BECAUSE I ALREADY KNOW THEY'RE NOT RELATED!!

6. And of course there's the part where Jace and Clary finally kiss and they decide to blast DEMI LAVATO?!? Like way to ruin the best part of the book!

Other than that I thought it was pretty good and I liked Lily Collins and Robert Sheehan, they were flawless.


Maria I loved the movie! My heart was pounding in fear that I would suck but it DIDN'T! I AM SO HAPPY! I loved the movie and now the album, and I can live with the changes the directors made. I hope the next one is just like this one or better.I loved Lily Collins, and yes even Jamie Campbell. I thought the actors for Alec and Magnus were not what I expected but nonetheless good choices for the movie. Isabelle was the only disappointment really, the acting was good but I couldn't picture her in the book for Isabelle, so yeah I want to see the other movie soon!


message 48: by Madi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Madi Did anyone not like the vampire scene? I mean WTH was up with the music?? I thought it sort of ruined the scene.


Christina Madi wrote: "Did anyone not like the vampire scene? I mean WTH was up with the music?? I thought it sort of ruined the scene."

I was upset because they didn't distinguish Raphael as much as they could have. They didn't even give the guy a name, which is just odd.


message 50: by Pierrette (new) - added it

Pierrette I could not even tell which one was Raphael because it wasn't even obvious. In spite of that I actually think the vampire scene was really well done and the backing music just amplified the scene. Then again, everyone's perception of the film will be different.


« previous 1
back to top