Webcomic Wonderland discussion

General Discussions > Your Reading Profile

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Tell us the kind of reader you are by answering these questions:

Who do you read? (Your favorite authors)
What do you read? (ebooks, hard copy, library, etc)
Where do you read? (your favorite reading spot)
When do you read? (what time of day, how often, how long, etc)
Why do you read? (entertainment, education, etc)
How much do you read? (how many books do you read? What's your reading goal?)

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 257 comments 1. primarily fantasy works, with a shifting cast of Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey, David (& Leigh) Eddings, Tamora Pierce, Christopher Stasheff, Lisa Shearin, Katherine Kurtz, and the Pinis. Tanith Lee. Diana Gabaldon.

2. paper books that either I bought or borrowed, the latter mostly from the library. Haven't gotten into the ebook thing. (except for fanfic--read that on my computer)

3. anywhere! car, bed, bus, chair, sofa, dining room table...

4. I used to tear through books on my commute, but now there's no commute, so no set time. During lunch, 1st thing when I've gotten up, before bed, and whenever I can fit it in.

5. mostly entertainment, some education, research for a writing project.

6. No set goals, and the number varies by category, but at least 2-3 books a week these days; up to 5 or 7 back in the days of the long commute. Possibly more. I don't track re-reads.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Who?
I lean towards fantasy as well. Some of my favorite novelists include Brandon Sanderson, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Tamora Pierce and JK Rowling.

What?
I read mostly physical books, most of which come from the library. I read a fair bit of online stories as well: fan fictions, webcomics(duh) and some manga.

Where?
I mostly read in bed. It's comfortable, quiet and private.

When?
At night before bed, for the most part. Depending on my schedule, I'll read throughout the day :) I tend toward reading in large chunks, so it's usually several hours at a time.

Why?
I'm a little disappointed in myself, but I read almost exclusively for entertainment. I can't seem to get through most nonfiction.

How much?
Well, I've already beaten my goal of 100 books for the year. Most of that is manga, though.

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1505 comments Mod
Who?
Timothy Zahn is my favorite author, followed by others too numerous to count. For prose I've always tended towards sic-fi and mystery, although in recent years urban fantasy has jumped into my list of favorite genres. I also read tons of manga and comics.

What?
Still mostly print, although I make good use of my kindle for short stories, lesser known authors I want to try, and books too huge to conveniently carry. No easy access to a library, so everything I read is purchased or borrowed from friends.

Where?
Mostly on my train commute. Close to an hour each way every day adds up quick.

When?
See previous.

Why?
Entertainment. I study so much for my job (I don't consider statistics textbooks "reading" for this question) that any other time I pick up a book it's to relax.

How much?
A lot, but still not quite as much as I'd like.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (radiantserenechaos) | 11 comments Who? Darren Shan, Ryohgo Narita, and Gail Carriger for prose authors. Eiichiro Oda, Atsushi Ohkubo, Kaoru Mori, rem, and Gene Luen Yang for graphic novel artists.

What? I get the majority of my books from the library, but I do buy a lot of my favorite manga. I love the convenience of ebooks, and I get a lot from the library. I've been trying to get into audio books since they're so efficient, but I haven't had much luck due to scratched discs.

Where? I usually read in the living room. I also do a lot of reading at school whenever I have an extra half minute.

When? I don't really have a usual time to read. I just read whenever I get the craving for a good story. I usually read in small chunks throughout the day.

Why? For entertainment. I read some classics just to say I've read them, and I enjoy reviewing books and finding good ones to suggest to my friends.

How much? Counting graphic novel volumes, I've averaged 5.8 books read per week this year. Not counting graphic novels, I average one book every two weeks.