Should have read classics discussion

In Memoriam

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Lisa (lmmmml) | 1864 comments Mod
My favorite part of the Academy Awards is the "In Memoriam" segment that lists the actors that have died during the previous year. Rather gruesome, I know. I wanted to do this for authors because many authors become like "far away" friends, especially those that write series.

message 2: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Maeve Binchy (One of my favorite): 1940-2012

message 3: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Barbara Mertz (aka Elizabeth Peters & Barbara Michaels) died peacefully at home early in the morning of Aug. 8, 2013. She had put up a very tough battle against cancer for over a decade, in a style worthy of Amelia. She preferred not to be fussed over, and so did not make her illness public. She died as she had told everyone she wanted to – unexpectedly, in her sleep. Shortly before her death, she had written a line to be posted on this webpage: “At 85, Elizabeth Peters (aka Barbara Michaels) is enjoying her cats, her garden, lots of chocolate, and not nearly enough gin.”

message 5: by Lisa, the usurper (last edited Oct 02, 2013 09:06AM) (new)

message 6: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 111 comments Lisa wrote: "http://www.famousdead.com/category/wr..."

Wow, I had no idea we lost so many this year, Lisa.. It's sad...

message 7: by Nora (new)

Nora (noramarie) | 7 comments Lisa wrote: "Maeve Binchy (One of my favorite): 1940-2012" Yes, one of mine, also. I was shocked to hear of her sudden death. I plan to get her last book...cannot think of the title. I thought it was neat that she had a cameo in one of the movies.

message 8: by Lisa, the usurper (new)

Nora wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Maeve Binchy (One of my favorite): 1940-2012" Yes, one of mine, also. I was shocked to hear of her sudden death. I plan to get her last book...cannot think of the title. I thou..."

It is A Week in Winter. It was bittersweet reading it.