Ms. Rosevear's Junior English discussion

Huck and conformity

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy S | 4 comments Even though Huck has had a very troubled youth and is still trying to find his path in life, he is showing that he is not a conformist. Huck likes to do what he believes is moral, not what society tells him to do. In chapter 31 Huck reveals himself as a person who cares about friendship over skin. Even though Huck believes he will go to hell for not turning Jim in, he does not care. Huck sees that it is more important for Jim to try to become free than for Huck to do what society tells him to do. Huck has realized that Jim is a person, not property, with emotions.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily Yu | 5 comments This kind of goes with Huck maturing as a person. At first, he beleived that Jim was property. Remember when he thought it was so wrong when Jim talked about stealing his children back?

But the fact that he truly believes he will go to hell for freeing Jim and not turning him in shows that he is still influenced greatly by society.

But he definitely shows that he will no longer care about what other people think when he goes to free Jim. He was just brought up to beleive that blacks were property.

Hopefully he is successful with freeing Jim.

message 3: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Hechler | 4 comments To me, Huck is torn in terms of conforming. Brought up by Ms. Watson, his mind has been ingrained with social and religious ideals. Huck's personality however, would show that he's a rebel, and would do anything not to be like others. The first example of this was Tom Sawyer's gang, where Huck wants to get out of society's grasp and do something out of the ordinary. In the big picture, this can be escalated to his friendship with Jim. Although Jim is a slave, Huck wants to be different from others, and therefore befriends him and goes against society.

message 4: by Lara (new)

Lara Herrmann | 4 comments I do not think that that Huck befriends Jim in order to be a nonconformist or go against what is morally correct. He befriends Jim because they are on an adventure together. I believe that their friendship originally sparked because it was convenient. They were both lonely individuals who needed to escape the restrictions that society had laid upon them. However, as time progressed what was previously a relationship founded on loneliness, progressed into a deep friendship. Once again, going back to chapter 31, Huck generously states that he is willing to go to hell for Jim. This portrays the true meaning of selflessness as well as maturity.

message 5: by JB (new)

JB Fogel | 4 comments Thinking back to Chapter thirty one I don't understand why that was considered Hucks moral climax. Sure he showed us how much Jim means to him and he was taking a stand against society, but it's not like there is a drastic change in his character throughout the next several chapters. I thought based on the way Ch. 31 was made out to be that Huck would end up turning Jim in or something like that.

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 4 comments I agree. I think that Huck changes his opinions so much in the book that how can chapter 31 really be considered his climax? Yeah, he decides that he is willing to go to hell to help Jim, but he still considers it going to hell. Although it is good that he doesn't care about what society thinks, he still believes that helping Jim is not the moral thing to do. He says he doesn't care about the color of Jim's skin, but isn't he proving that it still means something to him?