All About Books discussion

Reads & Challenges Archive > Tweedledum's 2013 book reads

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tweedledum (last edited Aug 27, 2013 11:51PM) (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2023 comments Hi, I thought I'd join in the list making
Here are most of the books I have read this year. Decided to leave out some Christie, Reichs, Billingham and Goddard as they have been mostly audiobooks.

Started the year with :

The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year(loved this in fact strongly tempted to emulate ....only the bed for a year part....not the going crazy part! Wonderful and disturbing...... Hilarious in parts and very sad in others. )

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared ( it grew on me but not really my preference , did get me chuckling though.)

Pure (wonderful but haunting imagery hope Andrew Miller writes a sequel. )

After this in no particular order....

The Boy in the River ( true story written by a man who helped uncover a hideous crime in the heart of London)

Safe House ( maybe I needed to have visited the Isle of Man to really appreciate this. )

A Stolen Life (can't think of anything to say that won't sound hideously trite except that maybe her story gives some hope to others whose children have disappeared without trace.)

Giants: The Dwarfs of Auschwitz ( they survived only because Mengele found them too interesting!)

Pincher Martin ( this certainly qualifies as a book about the sea! Pincher Martin survives being blown up at sea and eventually is thrown up on a remote rocky outcrop where he stubbornly clings to life......or does he? Very vivid narrative made me weep at times)

Corvus: A Life with Birds ( I am learning to look more fondly on crows and magpies since reading this)

The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage (I guess this is something of a classic in the true espionage genre but I had not heard of it before. A great true story)

The Cuckoo's Calling ( of course I had to read this...what a treat ......a new and entirely unexpected book by JK Rowling)

The Casual Vacancy( read in Jan took a while to get into could have done with a cast list and a plan of where they lived! )

The Adoption ( first encounter with Anne Berry hope it won't be the last!

Cracked: Why Psychiatry is Doing More Harm Than Good ( I guess this sits well with "the psychopath test " which is on my shelves but has not been read yet. Excellent I thought. Everyone should read it. )

When Libby met the Fairies and her whole life went Fae( discovered when Kirsten Mortenson started following my reviews. Lightweight but a fun and easy read. Going to try something else she has written)

The Drought ( gradually working my way through Ballard's books. Love his work but can only cope with it in small doses )

In the Key of Genius: The Extraordinary Life of Derek Paravicini (story of the incredible Derek Paravicini -interested in this for professional reasons. Absolutely wonderful)

Birds in a Cage (true story of 4 POWs who emerged to become leading lights in ornithology)

Cuckoo in the Nest (Nat Luurstsema reveals all about her return to home as a boomerang child. Have one of these of my own at home. Very therapeutic. )

Seized: Temporal Lobe Epilepsy as a Medical, Historical, and Artistic Phenomenon ( history of Temporal Lobe Epilepsy out of date in terms of treatment but nevertheless fascinating especially if you have any experience of this condition.)

All Passion Spent (Vita Sackville West's classic novel. A joy to read from start to finish. Had to visit Sissinghurst after reading to pay a personal tribute. )

. The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox ( it still shocks me to realise that well into the C20 it was perfectly possible for a family member to have someone committed to a mental asylum because they disagreed with something they did. this book explores one possible scenario. I could not put it down)

Five Days That Shocked the World: Eyewitness Accounts from Europe at the End of World War II( thought I knew a lot about WWII but found this very interesting and moving.

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass ( I may be well read but I have to admit I did not know of this until I came across it recently in a second hand book shop. So glad I have now read it. A classic especially for anyone who wants to know about slavery. Available free on Amazon, many books, Gutenberg etc. )

Lisa and the Lacemaker( a little Kathy Hoopman gem for young people with Asperger Syndrome)

Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide ( confessions of a safari guide)

A Lifetime In The Building: The Extraordinary Story Of May Savidge And The House She Moved ( story of one stubborn old lady who moved her medaeval Hall House house brick by brick from Hertfordshire to Norfolk when threatened with demolition and spent the rest of her life trying to rebuild it. You can stay there now it's a b&b! )

The Martian (only available as an ebook but well worth seeking out )

Toast ( a collection of short stories published only as an ebook by Mardi books which I have to share as son has a story in it. )
Finally

Wolf Hall (only took me seven months to read! Quite good timing really....I've had War and Peace on the go for 34 years!)

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Great list Tweedledum! What books are you going to read next? just curious. :)

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments @Tweedledum - Why leave out the audiobooks? Just wondering - I include them in my list...

message 4: by Pink (new)

Pink Nice list of books, by the way I totally recommend reading The Psychopath test, I though it was great :)

message 5: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11548 comments Mod
Leslie wrote: "@Tweedledum - Why leave out the audiobooks? Just wondering - I include them in my list..."

I was thinking that myself. I would count them.

message 6: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I'd count the audiobooks too. Like Doug Bradley's Spinechillers, Vol. 6is a good audiobook series that has edgar allan poe and other classic horror short stories in it.

message 7: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2023 comments Leslie wrote: "@Tweedledum - Why leave out the audiobooks? Just wondering - I include them in my list..." good question.... Perhaps I will add them if I get time today. At least I have worked out how to add via the goodrds icon now. First time round I wrote envy thing in then went back and edited each individually. ThAnks for your comments.

message 8: by Tweedledum (last edited Aug 28, 2013 01:50AM) (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2023 comments Mystery /crime thrillers read this year so far
First a revisit to Agatha Christie inspired by David Suchet's private passions programme.
The Mystery of the Blue Train and The Mysterious Affair at Styles

Robert Goddard always good value. I was pleased to find 2 Goddard audiobooks in my local library this year Dying To TellLong Time Coming

Discovered S.J. Bolton last year and listened to Dead Scared in January. This is the second book featuring Detective Lacey Flint. A third book came out recently.

New discoveries
Mark BillinghamFrom The Dead
Horrific opening , I only persisted with this because it was an audiobook but at a certain point really engaged with the story.

Sheila QuigleyThorn in My Side
Again an audiobook. Again something I might not have engaged with if I had just looked at the paperback. However the book grew on me as the story unfolded. This is the first in the Holy Island Trilogy and uses the premise of a small number of powerful people pulling the strings behind worldwide politics, economy, well everything really.... If you like conspiracy theories this will appeal.

Yorkshire author Peter Robinson is another crime author I discovered this year through an audiobook. .Strange Affair

While Stephen Boothsets his detective novels in Derbyshire Scared To Live is my first discovery. Lovely description of Matlock.

. [[book:Fatal Voyage|128759] ] , Death du Jour, Bare Bones yes I discovered Kathy Reichs this year in time to see the good reads Kathy Reichs event. Even posted a question but disappointed she didn't have time to answer it. Still I'm sure it's one she's been asked a million times before.

Now for something completely different....... on a nautical theme
The Antigallican a first novel by Tom Bowling whose knowledge of the sea and naval history is amazing

message 9: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2023 comments Oh I nearly forgot the most important one Toast! This is a book of short stories by new authors who entered a competition ...prize to be published. Only available as an ebook. Most important because my son has a story in the collection!

message 10: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2023 comments Just finished Inferno I'm glad I read it before I checked the reviews as they were so mixed! Personally I loved it. Check out my review.

message 11: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2023 comments I've been reviewing my 2013 reading challenge

And have found that out of 108 books read this year

27 have been detective/thrillers
Including new discoveries
Kathy Reichs,
Lilian Jackson Braun
Mark Billingham
Tarquin Hall
Stephen Booth
Peter Robinson
And
Sheila Quigley

Must also mention of course Inferno
And The Cuckoo's Calling

Is there anyone who hasn't read these two this year?

9 have been sci fi / dystopias including
The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset
Loved it by the way.

And classic
The Stepford Wives

25 have been history/biography/ memoirs

Including
Saving Gary McKinnon: A Mother's Story
In the Key of Genius: The Extraordinary Life of Derek Paravicini
The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism
How Many Camels Are There in Holland? Phyllida Law
And
Birds in a Cage

9 other non fiction including
Cracked: Why Psychiatry is Doing More Harm Than Good
The Tulip
Seized: Temporal Lobe Epilepsy as a Medical, Historical, and Artistic Phenomenon
And
Off-Topic: The Story of an Internet Revolt

8 historical fiction including
Wolf Hall
Bring Up the Bodies
The Conductor
And
Midwife: Lisa
( discovered this as a freebie a while ago. Could not put it down. If there were typos/ edit probs I must say I didn't notice them. )

4 comic or very light reading
My favourites:
More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops
Be careful with this and it's companion
Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops
You might not be able to stop laughing or may feel compelled to quote it at every opportunity.
The History of England in Social Media Speak: How matters might have been played out on the internet...
Hilarious take on Norman history.
Being Miss teachers may appreciate. Had mixed reviews but I thought it was spot on.

10 children's/ young adults reads

Of these I recommend
Alloria
A Wind in the Door
Witch Week
Lisa and the Lacemaker

2 classics
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
All Passion Spent

18 general fiction
Absolute favourites The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year
The Kite Runner
Room
Both should be recommended reading somewhere...

The Light Between Oceans
Enjoyed reading this with the group on All about books.

The Afternet (completely crazy story made me laugh a lot.)

Finally 1 book of great short stories

Toast

(My literary son has a story published in this so giving it a Christmas plug. )

If you want to see the complete list check out my 2013 challenge thingumybob icon thing.

So I make that roughly 70% fiction 30% non fiction.
Aiming to swing balance towards non fiction next year but pretty pleased to have managed over 100 books this year.

By the way if anyone adds this up differently I don't want to know! Each time I added it up I came to a different number. According to GR I have read 110 but I can't work out what categories the missing two should be in!

message 12: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Nice varied list Tweedledum. I always think you read a goodly selection of books :D

But I do agree with the others, that you should definitely include audio books (unless they are abridged, of course!) This is the only way some people are able to read, and surely it is no less value?

If I listen to an audio book I find that I concentrate on the sounds of the words more, so the quality of the language used becomes even more important. And it really shows up a pedestrian novel!!

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I agree with Jean that you have read a good variety! And lots of my favorite genre of mysteries/thrillers/suspense :) But to answer your question, I am one person who hasn't read either Inferno or The Cuckoo's Calling. I am someone who generally is behind the trends in books by a good 5-10 years (or even more!!)... although GoodReads has been changing that some.

message 14: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2023 comments LOL Leslie. To be honest this year may be an exception for me regarding managing to read something that's top of popularity lists. Like you I'm usually a few years out of date and usually pick up for a song in charity shops. I was in two minds about Inferno though. Loved da Vinci code etc but dislike hype.......but then managed to borrow the audiobook free on "one click " through my library. Have to own up to buying The Cuckoo's Calling though on the day it was announced that JK Rowling was in fact the author and reading it immediately. I discovered Harry Potter a long time before it became famous and have been a big fan ever since.

Jean, yes I do add on audio books and highly value them now. Am listening to Planet Of The Blind just now. Have you come across that? Very moving autobiography.

message 15: by Bionic Jean (last edited Dec 11, 2013 03:55AM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Thanks Tweedledum! And that must have bumped up your total even more!!

I am glad you agree, as I thought after I posted that it was a bit much to actually express this view on your OWN thread! But I let it stand as I feel quite strongly about accessible formats, and others in the group had already raised the subject. Having said that though, after having my wings clipped by only having RNIB talking books and Large Print for years, I relish the extra versatility modern technology is bringing me. So although in principle I think audio adds something extra, I personally prefer to read a print version whenever it's available for me!

No, I haven't read Planet Of The Blind , although I remember it coming out. I think it was the first (or among the first) book to have simultaneous publication ie in all formats at the same time without a minimum 2-year delay for Braille, Audio, Large Print etc. And now you have recommended it I have added it to my TBR list!

Looking through my books to find a specific autobiography by a young street-smart man who went blind (which I haven't found yet....grrr!) I came across these: On a Clear Day , Emma and I , Blind Courage , and An Uncertain Voyage all of which I enjoyed. Autobiographies by a politician, an ordinary young woman, a hitch-hiker and a High Court judge, all of whom were blind.

Apologies - this post is abominably long!!

message 16: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2023 comments Hey I've met my target of 120 books read in 2013! Rejoice with me! Finished off the year with A Christmas Carol last night. Always loved that story.

message 17: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Well done, Tweedledum, that's a lot of books!

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Tweedledum wrote: "Hey I've met my target of 120 books read in 2013! Rejoice with me! Finished off the year with A Christmas Carol last night. Always loved that story."

Congratulations! Here's to another good year of reading (raises a glass)!

message 19: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2023 comments Thank you Leslie and Shirley!