Horror Aficionados discussion

Harvest Home
This topic is about Harvest Home
Buddy Reads > Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 126 (126 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Addy | 4989 comments So far its Traci and Addy. Anyone can join. Will be starting as soon as Traci receives her book. Hopefully 1st week of September.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Still waiting... grrr. Mail hasn't come yet today. So... hopefully. :)

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 81 comments this is one of my all time favorite books .... I may have to reread it yet again - I'll check in to see when you're ready

Cathy | 177 comments Oh, I love this one! I'm tempted to reread too. And it's not Kindle, grrr.

Addy | 4989 comments Sweet! Glad this one has sparked some interest. Must be a good one!

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 81 comments Addy wrote: "So far its Traci and Addy. Anyone can join. Will be starting as soon as Traci receives her book. Hopefully 1st week of September."

Traci where are you getting your book from? I know it's been out of print for many years and can be hard to find

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I ordered it used from Amazon. I don't remember where it was shipping from.

Addy | 4989 comments I ordered mine from amazon as well and got it pretty fast. They ship from different areas. I don't remember where they shipped mine from either.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I just got it :)

Ready for the 1st.

message 10: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Nice:)

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 81 comments that's great~I've seen them kinda pricey there at times.
is this your first time reading it?

message 12: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Its my first time and this is the third book I've read from this author. He's one of my favorites.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

My first time. And unlike The Other, which I had not read but had seen the movie, I don't know the story. So I'm looking forward to reading this one.

message 14: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments So do we wanna read say 3 chapters a day? I don't think the chapters are very long.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds good.

message 16: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Hey Traci, I know ur prob not checking the Swan Song thread, but I was just wondering if you deleted any of your threads? I could have sworn you wrote about what you thought of the book in spoiler tags but couldn't find them. I'll take another look. I'm almost done with the book.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't erase anything. I don't think.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll be starting this either tomorrow or Tuesday.

message 19: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Oh good. I prob wont start til tomorrow either.

Holly (goldikova) Count me in, this is one of my top ten faves. I don't usually start my annual read of this book until October, but I will make an exception this year. Looking forward to discussing w/ you all.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you want to take this by chapter or read at your own pace? Getting ready to start. It's on the long side but has short chapters as far as I can tell.

message 22: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I'm good either way. I know you prob read faster than I do so if u want at ur own pace we can use spoilers.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I actually have a book coming out tomorrow that I'll be reading too. So I can pace myself. I'm thinking of trying for 5 chapters a day.

message 24: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I've only read the first chapter and I'm already falling in love. I just love his writing style and I'm so glad were reading this in the fall:)

Heidi Ward (battyward) | 103 comments Anybody who gets to read this book for the first time . . . I envy you! One of the all-time classics.

message 26: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I love anything classic, especially books:)

Heidi Ward (battyward) | 103 comments My mom still gets scared when she thinks about this book. I have her old hardback copy with that great creepy cover. Definitely worth a reread at this time of year . . .

Holly (goldikova) I don't know about anybody else, but I happen to live in a corn-growing community. I think it enhances the story for me, because so many of the scenes seem so familiar to me and make the book more sinister.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Corn growing communities scare me. Too many horror movies. ;)

I read the first five chapters. I really like Tryon's writing style. Its a shame he didn't write more horror. Its too early to guess what's going on but I'm betting the book is called 'Harvest Home' for a reason.

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 81 comments Heidi wrote: "Anybody who gets to read this book for the first time . . . I envy you! One of the all-time classics."

I feel the same way Heidi.....I also have that old hardcover with the creepy cover

does anyone remember the truly excellent mimiseries that was made of Harvest Home in the 70s or am I just showing how old I am?
Bette Davis played Widow Fortune...unfortunately it has never been released on dvd although there are many people who would love it to be

message 31: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Bette Davis...she came out in Burnt Offerings. I would be a fan I'm sure, but I didn't know it was a mini series.

Holly (goldikova) There is a DVD of the mini-series......don't buy it. It is a chopped version of the original with so many scenes deleted it doesn't even make sense.

Cornwall Coombe seems so charming and quaint; don't you want to go live there?

message 33: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I would love to live there...country girl at heart. The simpler the better:)

Heidi Ward (battyward) | 103 comments Joanne wrote:
does anyone remember the truly excellent mimiseries that was made of Harvest Home in the 70s or am I just showing how old I am? Bette Davis played Widow Fortune."

I do! I wasn't supposed to watch it, since the book cover alone gave me the yips. But I somehow recall Bette Davis on the TV -- maybe I was watching from the hall without my parents knowing! I was a scaredy-cat who loved to be scared.

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 04, 2013 09:30AM) (new)

Surprisingly its one of the few I haven't seen. And I love Bette Davis. Too bad it never came out to buy officially. There are so many my family and I were waiting for to come out that finally did. The Other. Dark Night of the Scarecrow. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. Maybe this one will too.

message 36: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I'm hoping to tackle some of this tonight. Maybe to Ch.8 at least.

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 81 comments Cornwall Coombe seems so charming and quaint; don't you want to go live there?

ummmmm .. knowing the story .... maybe not :)

message 38: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I kinda like Widow Fortune and all her superstitious ways. Her stories about the town are pretty mysterious.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I like her too - don't trust her. But that's okay. I don't trust anyone in a book like this. I love superstitions, legends, and traditions.

I haven't read much but I'm hoping to read more tomorrow.

Holly (goldikova) Joanne wrote: "Cornwall Coombe seems so charming and quaint; don't you want to go live there?

ummmmm .. knowing the story .... maybe not :)"

Yeah, Joanne, my statement might seem a little crazy at first, but, since I am a single woman whose only child is a daughter.....we'd be pretty safe.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Chapter 12 - I'm having a tough time keeping track of the who's and what's of the characters. But I think its starting to fall in now. And I have a few ideas forming of what's going to happen. I have a bad feeling about the Lord of the festival.

Holly (goldikova) Anyone have any thoughts on the Ghost of Soakes Lonesome?

message 43: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments Not yet Holly. Still pretty clueless. Hoping to get a couple if chapters in. I feel like I'm behind.

So I was looking at my collection of books and found much to my surprise that I have Night of the Moonbow by Mr. Tryon. Since I've been on a Tryon kick, would anyone want to continue and buddy read it with me after this one?

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 81 comments HARVEST HOME IS FINALLY COMING TO KINDLE !!!

release date September 24 pre~order price $7.99 (save $2)

Joanne Moyer (catwoman56) | 81 comments Addy wrote: "Not yet Holly. Still pretty clueless. Hoping to get a couple if chapters in. I feel like I'm behind.

So I was looking at my collection of books and found much to my surprise that I have Night of the Moonbow..."

that's one I don't have Holly but I saw it at my library today
I have Lady, which I haven't read in years but remember liking
and The Other of course

message 46: by Addy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Addy | 4989 comments I love Lady! I'm reading that one right now, but taking my time on it.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Been busy. But finally finished this one. I thought I had a good idea where it was going but still managed to surprise me.

Holly (goldikova) Traci L. wrote: "Been busy. But finally finished this one. I thought I had a good idea where it was going but still managed to surprise me."

So, what did you think about the mystery of Gracie Everdeen? Worthy Pettinger? Jack Stump & the blind neighbor?

......and the ending?

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I was surprised. I thought it was leading to a (view spoiler)

Holly (goldikova) Traci L. wrote: "I was surprised. I thought it was leading to a [spoilers removed]"

I didn't see that coming either. How do you think this story compares to "The Wicker Man"? The themes are very similar.

« previous 1 3