2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > TBR Twins, September

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (last edited Aug 23, 2013 11:55AM) (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Here are the twins for September:

Tiffany
Alison

Sarah
Karin

Karina
Quenby

Sara
Londa

Lianne
Colby

Zara
Alia

Kayla
Jen

Talia
Jade

Tammy
Rachi

Theresa~OctoberLace
Soph

Katy
Smitha

Brian
Kara

Now that the twins have been assigned, let us know what you've decided to read, then come back when you've finished to let us know what you thought of it.

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara (shesautomatic) | 112 comments Londa and I decided on One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez. I've heard lots of of good things so I'm excited to finally get around to reading it.

message 3: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Alia and I'll be reading Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson. I hope this book is as good as everyone says.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah @Sara I started One Hundred Years of Solitude a few weeks back for another buddy read but I didn't make it past page 20 - I hope you have better luck than I did.

@Zara - I really liked Before I Go To Sleep. Enjoy!

Karin and I have decided to read Memoirs of a Geisha. Looking forward to it!

message 5: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Sarah wrote: "@Sara I started One Hundred Years of Solitude a few weeks back for another buddy read but I didn't make it past page 20 - I hope you have better luck than I did.

@Zara - I really liked Before I Go..."

Thanks Sarah.

I absolutely loved Memoirs of a Geisha when I read it a number of years ago. I hope you enjoy it as well.

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 773 comments After considering several books on our TBR lists, Steph K and I have decided to read Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. Though we hadn't discussed this, it just occurred to me that September 22-28 is Banned Books Week, and this is frequently mentioned as one of the Banned and Challenged Classics.

message 7: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (liannevanroekel) | 245 comments Colby and I are going to read The Gunslinger. It's been quite a while since I have read a book by Stephen King. I hope it's good!

message 8: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 12 comments Rachi and I are going to read The Fault in Our Stars.

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) Have messaged Katy, am waiting for her response.

message 11: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments My partner and I havent decided yet. I think we have decided Nicholas Sparks but are not sure which one.

message 12: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments I was in the process of moving and without Internet, so I took a week to respond to Kara, who is my September twin.

Sorry about that! We have 4 options in common, and I just responded and think we can probably narrow it down to two (possibly one as a twin read for us, and another as a Buddy Read).

We will keep you guys posted.

message 13: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Brian and I decided to read It's Kind of a Funny Story. I'm really excited about it!

message 14: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments Just got It's Kind of a Funny Story today! I just read the first page and have a really good feeling this will be a funny story :]

message 15: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylaschwae) | 0 comments I sent a message to my partner and haven't heard anything back so I think I'll just by pass this month. Unless she makes contact! Happy reading everyone!!!

message 16: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (liannevanroekel) | 245 comments Kayla wrote: "I sent a message to my partner and haven't heard anything back so I think I'll just by pass this month. Unless she makes contact! Happy reading everyone!!!"

Kayla, I'm having a challenge-free month, so I have not yet decided which books I'm going to read this month. If your twin doesn't react in the next days, I would like to help out and read a book with you. Just let me know what you want :)

message 17: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Kayla wrote: "I sent a message to my partner and haven't heard anything back so I think I'll just by pass this month. Unless she makes contact! Happy reading everyone!!!"

Hi Kayla. If Kara is happy for me to do so I would be happy to be your twin as well.

message 18: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments Kayla wrote: "I sent a message to my partner and haven't heard anything back so I think I'll just by pass this month. Unless she makes contact! Happy reading everyone!!!"

If you think It's Kind of a Funny Story looks interesting to you, you could join me and Kara and make it a buddy/group read if she's okay with it. Lianne and Zara, if you wanted to join as well, then we'd have a decent-sized group :D

message 19: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylaschwae) | 0 comments Thank you all for the offers but I didn't get a chance to read my twin book last month so I think I'll catch up and read that! Thanks tho I really appreciate it!!

message 20: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Kayla wrote: "Thank you all for the offers but I didn't get a chance to read my twin book last month so I think I'll catch up and read that! Thanks tho I really appreciate it!!"

You're welcome Kayla.

message 21: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments Tiffany and I decided to read The Last Song. I have seen the movie and bawled at it, so I know what is coming. I can't wait to read this book!

message 22: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (liannevanroekel) | 245 comments This is the second time I get in touch with my twin, choose a book and after that hear nothing from her anymore. I sent Colby a message two weeks ago to ask her when she wanted to start and another one last week to ask her if she started already, but got no reaction. The same thing happened the last time I participated in June, so I'm starting to think I have to read this one by myself again.

message 23: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Lianne wrote: "This is the second time I get in touch with my twin, choose a book and after that hear nothing from her anymore. I sent Colby a message two weeks ago to ask her when she wanted to start and another..."

Hi Lianne,

If Kara's happy for me to do this I would be glad to be your partner so that you don't have to do this on your own again.

message 24: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (liannevanroekel) | 245 comments Zara wrote: "Lianne wrote: "This is the second time I get in touch with my twin, choose a book and after that hear nothing from her anymore. I sent Colby a message two weeks ago to ask her when she wanted to st..."

It's not that I mind reading the book by myself, but it's frustrating that I'm apparently waiting for nothing. I think I will finish the book by myself, but thank you for your kind offer Zara! I really appreciate it.

message 25: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Lianne wrote: "Zara wrote: "Lianne wrote: "This is the second time I get in touch with my twin, choose a book and after that hear nothing from her anymore. I sent Colby a message two weeks ago to ask her when she..."

That's OK Lianne. It's my pleasure to have offered to help. Out of interest what book are you reading?

message 26: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (liannevanroekel) | 245 comments Zara wrote: "Lianne wrote: "Zara wrote: "Lianne wrote: "This is the second time I get in touch with my twin, choose a book and after that hear nothing from her anymore. I sent Colby a message two weeks ago to a..."

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

message 27: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Aww, Lianne, I'm so sorry to hear that. That's really a bummer. I will make sure you have an active partner for October.

message 28: by Craig (new)

Craig | 826 comments Sara wrote: "Londa and I decided on One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez. I've heard lots of of good things so I'm excited to finally get around to reading it."

Sara, I've had this on my TBR for a while now so I'd be really interested to know what you both thought of it :)

message 29: by Craig (new)

Craig | 826 comments Lianne wrote: "Zara wrote: "Lianne wrote: "Zara wrote: "Lianne wrote: "This is the second time I get in touch with my twin, choose a book and after that hear nothing from her anymore. I sent Colby a message two w..."

I've been desperate to read The Gunslinger ad the rest of the Dark Tower series for months now so would really like to know if it's any good!

message 30: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (liannevanroekel) | 245 comments Thank you Kara! I really appreciate that you all do your best to help everyone out, that's one of the reasons why I like this group so much.

Craig, I will let you know! I've read about a third of the book and so far it's been a crazy but interesting experience.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Theresa and I just finished Lolita and have rated it 4 stars because we can't have half stars. (For me it is a 4.5). We thought the language was incredible and the effect he used it to was quite something. You would be gliding along the page on a wave of glittering abstract images and artistic notions when he would throw something monstrous in there about Lolita crying, or saying no, or his hairy arms and it would be severely jarring and you would realise what awfulness you were reading. So upsetting and very effective. The story itself and the subject matter meant it couldn't go into our all time favourites (5 star books), but it is a work of genius. English wasn't even Nabokov's first language! (I had a similar experience when I read Pale Fire - the plot itself was hard to appreciate on one level, but the language carried it and made it brilliant.)

After the novel ends there is an afterword written in 1956 by the author, explaining the novel and offering reply to the criticisms that it was 'immoral' 'too wordy' and 'un-American'. He explains that the idea just rushed at him and he is not fond of his monstrous creation Humbert Humbert, but it was something that demanded to be written and his intention is only to get the book 'out' of him when an idea comes. As to the other charges he says he never told stories with the intention of having a 'moral', just told the story as he saw it, and that he was never fond of the stark masculine writing so popular at the time. He answered the weird charge of being 'un-American' by saying his only sin seems to have been setting the book in North America, and he thought he had that covered by making Humbert from Europe! It is a very interesting letter and explains the unusual subject choice rather well. It also has some very good points about the idea of immorality in books and what people expect from literature, so it was a good viewpoint to read considering it is Banned Books Week!

message 32: by Sara (new)

Sara (shesautomatic) | 112 comments Soph wrote: "Theresa and I just finished Lolita and have rated it 4 stars because we can't have half stars. (For me it is a 4.5). We thought the language was incredible and the effect he used it to was quite so..."

Glad to see see you liked this one so much Soph, I'm hoping to get around to it soon.

message 33: by Sara (new)

Sara (shesautomatic) | 112 comments Londa and I got through One Hundred Years of Solitude. I can see how getting through this book could be difficult as it is very dense. Stylistically, Harold Bloom remarked that "My primary impression, in the act of rereading One Hundred Years of Solitude, is a kind of aesthetic battle fatigue, since every page is rammed full of life beyond the capacity of any single reader to absorb... There are no wasted sentences, no mere transitions, in this novel, and you must notice everything at the moment you read it."... and I think that sums it up quite well.

However, I really loved the book and was blown away by the plot, symbolism and writing. The humor of the book was right up my alley and I thought that the magical realism aspects of the book were fantastic. It was a 5 star read for me.

message 34: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (liannevanroekel) | 245 comments I have read The Gunslinger and have some mixed feelings about it. The story was quite bizarre and there a lot of loose ends and unresolved questions at the end of the book. I have heard that The Drawing of the Three is less vague and clarifies a lot. I gave this one only three stars, but I will read the next book one day. It won´t be soon though.

message 35: by Craig (new)

Craig | 826 comments Lianne wrote: "I have read The Gunslinger and have some mixed feelings about it. The story was quite bizarre and there a lot of loose ends and unresolved questions at the end of the book. I have heard that The Dr..."

Oh no, sad to hear that as we had very similar views when we did our TBR book. I'll give it a go and see what I think though

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Lianne wrote: "I have read The Gunslinger and have some mixed feelings about it. The story was quite bizarre and there a lot of loose ends and unresolved questions at the end of the book. I have heard that The Dr..."

I read The Gunslinger and was underwhelmed, but The Drawing of the Three is one of the best Stephen King books I've ever read (and I am a fan). It is strange but brilliant. I think the first book suffers because he wrote it when he was just 19, and it was so much shorter you don't get all the SK stuff and details that make his books good when he writes well.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Sara wrote: "Londa and I got through One Hundred Years of Solitude. I can see how getting through this book could be difficult as it is very dense. Stylistically, Harold Bloom remarked that "My primary impres..."

Such a true and interesting point about the style of One Hundred Years of Solitude. It sort of overwhelms you with the beauty of the writing sometimes. This too is one of my 5 star favourites and definitely one of the most brilliant books I've ever read. It is so good it made me not want to be a writer any more because what's the point! Colonel Aureliano Buendía is one of my most beloved characters.

I was due to re-read it this year but my other half snatched it out of my book box before I had chance and is now taking his time with it, mooning over how wonderful it is. Need to steal it back, stat.

message 38: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (liannevanroekel) | 245 comments Soph, I have heard more often that the second book is much better than the first one, so I will definitely continue some day. It's good to hear that you, as a fan, didn't love The Gunslinger. That gives me hope for the next book.

Craig, the first book seems to be a 'bad' start to the series, but it's probably worth reading it to get to the next ones.

message 39: by Sara (new)

Sara (shesautomatic) | 112 comments Soph wrote: "Sara wrote: "Londa and I got through One Hundred Years of Solitude. I can see how getting through this book could be difficult as it is very dense. Stylistically, Harold Bloom remarked that "My p..."

Yah, it was an amazing book. I want to re-read it again.. and take notes next time. Londa and I have been having an awesome discussion about it but there is just SO much in the book to digest. It's almost impossible to take it all in on the first reading.

message 40: by Londa (new)

Londa (londalocs) | 117 comments Sara wrote: "Yah, it was an amazing book. I want to re-read it again.. and take notes next time. Londa and I have been having an awesome discussion about it but there is just SO much in the book to digest. It's almost impossible to take it all in on the first reading. ..."

Yes. Sara and I have been having a really great discussion about this book. While I may not have enjoyed reading it as much as she did, I have still enjoyed talking about it. It's no wonder that it has become a standard in college literature courses.

message 41: by Craig (new)

Craig | 826 comments Lianne wrote: "Soph, I have heard more often that the second book is much better than the first one, so I will definitely continue some day. It's good to hear that you, as a fan, didn't love The Gunslinger. That ..."

Yeah I'll definitely give it a shot :)