Ask Diane Mott Davidson - Friday, September 13th! discussion

Featured Author Chat > Ask Diane!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 136 (136 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Cynthia (last edited Aug 23, 2013 11:29AM) (new)

Cynthia Shannon  (cincindypat) Welcome to the group! Diane will be answering questions throughout the day on Friday, September 13th in this thread only. In the meantime if you have a question for Diane or just want to introduce yourself feel free to do so in this thread.

message 2: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 1 comments Hi Diane! Just wondering if you'd ever come out with a cookbook with all the recipes from your Goldy Bear books.

message 3: by Bj (new)

Bj | 1 comments Hi Diane! I have loved every Goldy book but this was my favorite. Thank you for dedicating it to your readers! The way you wrapped everything up at the end made me feel like this would be the last Goldy book, is that the case? Can't wait for the cookbook!
Thank you,
Barb from CNY

message 4: by Melody (new)

Melody | 1 comments Your books are like hot chocolate on a fall day!

What are your favorite revising tricks? Do you have editing tips for young writers

Melody Wentworth
5th Grade Teacher

message 5: by Maryfrances (new)

Maryfrances (purrplemickey) | 1 comments Diane, reading about Goldy and company is always like hearing from good friends who don't live close by. Thank you for the hours of entertainment and enjoyment you provide your readers. I count Goldy as one of my friends! I too would love to have a cookbook. . . . .

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn J | 1 comments diane, i have been reading your books for the longest time and it is a pleasure to have a wonderful author that can combine a mystery with a culinary recipe along with the readings of your books and I would like to say that your books are awesome to read! When do you expect your new book to be on bookshelves for the readers to look at? And is the new book gonna hardcover or softcover or large type for the people to read!
Lynn J Kosick
Pottsville Pennsylvania USA

message 7: by Mary Kay (new)

Mary Kay (marykayt) | 1 comments I too would love a cookbook - but I'm hoping the series isn't ending ~ I love having Goldy in my life!

message 8: by Stacy (last edited Sep 07, 2013 11:53AM) (new)

Stacy S. (Skye35) | 1 comments Hey, Diane! I just love your 'Goldy' adventures. I'm always excited to see what Goldy does next and cooks next.
Do you ever think they'll consider your series for television? If so, can I have a walk on part? ;)

All the best,
Stacy (Alabama)

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary Wells | 1 comments Hey from Texas, Diane,
Do you think you will ever have Goldy visit a friend outside of Colorado (say in Texas ;) and have an adventure? Just wondering.

Hugs,
Mary Wells :)
Houston, TX

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne | 2 comments Hi Diane

I hope Goldy isn't retiring. I so enjoy your books about her. It combines mysteries and food. Plus being set in Colorado which is where my sister lives so its familiar territory. LOVE the books!

Anne, IL.

message 11: by April (new)

April | 1 comments Hi Diane!

Your books are so much fun to read. How did you come up with the idea to start this series and the main character of Goldy?

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol Mcguire | 1 comments Hello Diane,

Love your books. Thank you for writing a great series. As a previous person commented, it would be great to have a cookbook with all of Goldy's recipes. At one time I did find them on the internet and downloaded them to my computer. But my ex took that computer and now I can't find that website. So please do a cookbook for us. Thank you in advance.

message 13: by Liz (new)

Liz | 1 comments I agree with Mary Wells. I'm from Houston, too, and would love to have a book based here. I love your books. I'm an Anglican, so I especially like the Episcopal connection. What's the hardest part about writing a mystery?

message 14: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (sruff) I can't wait for a new Goldy book! As a lover of food, Colorado, and good mysteries, you work always hits the spot. How do you come up with recipes for your books? Thanks!
Shelby in Nevada

message 15: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (gypsycruiser) | 1 comments Hi Diane!
I am also wondering if you will publish a cookbook with all of Goldy's delectable goodies. I would love to have all her recipes in one book.

Thank you for being my favorite culinary mystery writer. I love the whole Goldy series. Please keep her in our lives forever. She is a strong role model for girls today.
Peggy in PA

message 16: by Tina (last edited Sep 06, 2013 08:09PM) (new)

Tina Gagnon | 1 comments Hi Diane! I have read all the books in the series and am wondering two things. How do you keep a series fresh when we all feel like we know the characters now, how they will act and what they will do? And, having been recently diagnosed with an egg white allergy but missing my favorite cakes, brownies, etc at Christmastime, could you include some really easy and festive holiday variations on traditional cookies, like the Hershey's Kiss Cookie, that Julian could whip up? He is one of my favorite characters! I would love to see him set up business and have Goldie start traveling!
Tina in IL

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan Mchale | 1 comments Hi Diane,

I have read all your books too and love every Goldy mystery. How do you keep the characters evolving and fresh for your readers? Thank you so much for entertaining us so well!

Susan in OK

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharonretiredright) | 1 comments Hi Diane, I love you're books and recipes. The characters are so well developed, they are easy to picture in my mind. I would miss Goldy,, but I would look forward to a new series with a new star. Is that in your future? Thanks for the good books. Sharon in AZ

message 19: by Irene (new)

Irene Bautista | 1 comments Hello Diane!

I really, really love your Goldy Schulz series! I surely hope that it won't end anytime soon. It is so fun, entertaining, and always so exciting to read!!

message 20: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1 comments Love your Goldy series and wait very impatiently (lol) for each new book. I'm currently in the middle of 'The Whole Enchilada' and loving it! I can't remember which book 'the Jerk' gets his just 'desserts' though. Can you point me in the right direction. My daughter and I love all your books. Please write faster! lol Thanks for all your hard work.

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam Strong (SamStrong) | 1 comments Hi Diane!
I absolutely adore your Goldy books. I always look forward to seeing each new recipe and each new adventure.
My questions (I have two) are:
~Which recipe in all of the Goldy books has been your favorite so far?
~Knowing what you know now as an author, what advice would you give yourself when you were first starting out?

Thank you so much. Cheers!

message 22: by Susannah (new)

Susannah Hardy | 1 comments Your books have been a huge inspiration to me on my own mystery writing journey. Over the course of your wonderfully long series, your characters have matured and developed in very relatable, realistic ways. Could you give some advice on how you keep your characters and plot lines so fresh after so many books?

message 23: by Allison (last edited Sep 07, 2013 05:25AM) (new)

Allison Mcleary | 1 comments Hi Diane! Reading the Goldy series is a comfort and a joy for me. I have read every one, and finished the Whole Enchilada the same day it came out! The series was a favorite of my late mother's too. In fact, her beginning the series gave us common ground when there wasn't a lot of discussion taking place.
Spoiler contained in this next paragraph:
Thank you for kind beautiful characters. I myself am married to a sheriff's deputy (Chief Deputy) and find the relationship between Goldy and Tom endearing. I wish we could have been taken along with them for their pregnancy and baby- I felt like I missed out of the experience with them. Hoping this isn't the last book- but if so THANK YOU for the gifts of your time and talents that you have shared with your readers for these years!!!!

message 24: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1 comments Diane, have really enjoyed reading & cooking recipes from your Goldy series books for many years now. Do you personally create and/or test all of these recipes? They are terrific but I can't imagine how you have time to write & create! I agree with the others that a compilation of Goldy & Julian's recipes would make a wonderful keepsake cookbook and fervently hope that The Whole Enchilada is NOT the end of the series!
Suzanne, a serious cooking reader/fan :-)

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather | 2 comments Hi, Diane! It is awesome to have the opportunity to chat with you about your books. I have always been.ysyery fan, but It was my husband who introduced me to your books. He bought a set of audiobooks for my commute, as a Christmas present many years ago, and I have been a devoted fan ever since, reading and treading your books, as well as enjoying them on audio! Your books started me in my favorite sub genre, the culinary mystery, and it is now a bit of a let down to read books that don't have the added bonus of recipes! I love your authentic characters and the fact that they have daily struggles like the rest of us! I just got the new Whole Enchilada book! I had to wait until payday, and I have been chomping at the bit! I plan on making something tasty and Tex-Mex for the family thi week, and reading until my hearts content...after the crew is in bed! I want to say thanks for your amazing series. After years of reading, your characters have become part of our lives. While we the readers know they are fictional, they hold a real place in our hearts! Thank you for sharing your stories with us!

message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather | 2 comments Sorry for the typos...iPhone typing is not my forte!

message 27: by Craftnut (new)

Craftnut Hi Diane,
I found your book series when Dying for Chocolate came out. I quickly found Catering to Nobody and have faithfully bought each subsequent one as it was published. I love the characters, and the character development you have done across the series. I certainly hope this isn't the last book, I want to see Julian and Arch grow more. I have taken Scouts Brownies to more functions than I can count, always a hit. Love your books and recipes!!

message 28: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 1 comments Hi Diane,
I would love to see a cookbook with all of the recipes from the book too. A lot of the recipes that I would like to try were not the ones included in the books, however they all sound delicious to eat. I have enjoyed every minute of reading this series and love all the characters and hope that it does not end with this book. After finishing each previous book I could hardly wait for the next book to come out. I have yet to read the new book as I have not been to a bookstore since the Whole Enchilada came out. Thanks for all your hard and creative work! Jennie in IL

message 29: by Julie (new)

Julie White (julie_white) | 1 comments Hello Diane,
Thank you so much for creating such a wonderful series that combines two of my favorite things, food and mystery! I have enjoyed so many of your books! I love that Goldy is so strong and caring, even when others are not so nice to her, she remains a woman of good character! I love Julian also! I was delighted to see online that you actually test out recipes and then put them in your book, so my question is, what is your process for coming up with both the recipes and the story? Thanks again for giving us the community of Aspen Meadow, it has been such a pleasure to "visit" there and get to know the many colorful characters!

message 30: by Paula (new)

Paula (clairesgirl) | 1 comments Hello Diane, Just wanted to add my good wishes on the success of the latest book and to say how much, I, too, have loved all the Goldy books. As so many have already stated, each new book seems like getting reacquainted with an old friend: checking in with how Arch is, seeing what Julian's been up to, and finding out how Goldy and co. are all faring. I frequently have kitchen envy when Goldy goes into her cupboards or the walk-in fridge and is able to whip up a delicious favorite or create something new. I like that she's a grounded woman with solid values, a sense of humor, a survivor, and a champion of those in need. Plus I love visiting the now familiar mountain neighborhoods while going along with Marla and Goldy as they undertake a new adventure. Please keep them coming along with all those yummy recipes, especialy cookies!

message 31: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 1 comments Hi, Diane. Your books are very enjoyable, with wonderful, relatable characters I can just picture in my mind as I'm reading. When I read your mysteries as well as other mystery authors, I think to myself, "I can write one of those." :) How much are your characters and situations based on (or inspired by) real-life people and events? If there were a "fantasy camp" or something for aspiring mystery writers, I'd be on board in a heartbeat!

message 32: by Mkay (new)

Mkay | 1 comments Hi Diane, I always enjoy reading about Goldy and friends. If Goldy could cook with a celebrity chef who would it be? Which chef would she like to do battle with on Iron Chef America?

message 33: by Christy (new)

Christy Harris | 1 comments Hi, Diane! I know I've told you this before but Goldy has been with me through every army move...I can't explain my affection for my favorite curly headed caterer. So.....my question is: Are any of your characters based entirely on one person or do you combine people in your life to make a character? I feel like Julian is such a cool, complicated guy. Who is he? You MUST know him in real life! :) And, of course, Marla, Tom and Arch. They have really developed...and I love them. Thanks! Christy Harris - Seoul, Korea

message 34: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pjhwithrow) Hi Diane,
I love your writing style, especially Goldy's thoughts as she reviews the case.
What are your favorite Goldy recipes?
Thanks, Pamela

message 35: by Sylvia (last edited Sep 09, 2013 10:47AM) (new)

Sylvia | 1 comments Hi Diane,
My sister and I wait with anticipation for each of your Goldy books and I have enjoyed every one of them. You have even inspired me to write. I hate to be a 'debbie downer'here but this new one was my least favorite...not because of the characters (love them), the mystery (could not figure out who killed Holly or why, and I am in law enforcement), but because it seemed there was so much repetition of the scenarios...i.e we're in the scene first, then Goldy tells Marla about the scene, and then Goldy remembers the scene in detail. It just made the pace slow for me. I was just wondering if The Whole Enchilada was a struggle to write, or you thought it may be too short without these fillers or what? Hey, I'm still a fan and can't wait for the new one, and I also know an author cannot please all the readers.
Thanks, Sylvia

message 36: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 1 comments Hi Diane! I have read all of the Goldy books and can not wait to read the new one. As another reader said earlier, I feel your characters are friends I am not able to see often so I enjoy catching up on what is going on in their lives. I am a librarian at a public library where I am fortunate to be able to suggest and share my favorite authors with the patrons. Your books never stay on the shelves for a long time. I hope to see Goldy books coming out for a long time. The cookbook idea is a great one! I would love to see it also. Thanks! Sharon

message 37: by Dori (new)

Dori | 1 comments Hi Diane! I have read all of the Goldy series and loved each and every one of them. I am currently reading The Whole Enchilada and enjoying it so much. The characters in your books are so realistic and your recipes are mouth-watering. I do hope that there are many more Goldy books in the future. I have two questions. 1. Will you publish a cookbook with all of your Goldy recipes in it? 2. Would you consider a t.v. series of your Goldy books? Thank you for providing us all with years of your talented writing...keep up the good work! Dori

message 38: by Julie (new)

Julie | 1 comments Hi!! Just finished your 10th book. SO enjoy them because I am a dietitian who loves food ( your book on lighter fare after Marla had her heart attack was spot on!), my brother lives in Confer, works in Golden, and my son lives in Denver...I love all the familiar names and towns. One question-is the castle in Sticks and Stones based on a real place somewhere in Colorado?
Julie

message 39: by Donna Jean (new)

Donna Jean (djpickett73gmailcom) | 1 comments Hi Diane, Your books are fast moving and a delight to read. Hoping you consider a companion cookbook to round out your series. I think your stories might lend themselves to TV or movies as the main characters are the same. Have you considered the possibility of writing a screenplay or two? Best wishes for continued success with your writing. Donna Jean

message 40: by Melinda (last edited Sep 28, 2013 08:44AM) (new)

Melinda (melindabennington) | 1 comments I attended a book signing you did in my town in Colorado, where you shared an hilarious story of a real-life snowboarder who almost took you out when you were skiing. You were telling us how you came up with characters, and victims for your story.

Is there a real-life story behind any of the victims in this book? Someone against whom you wanted revenge?

Also, was it difficult to involve beloved Father Pete??

I am looking forward to the next book (no pressure!) and hope we will see more of the lovely relationship between Tom and Goldy (and Arch)as this family grows. The combination of Tom's competence as an investigator, yet tenderness at home, is just lovely.

Any plans for Julian in the love department?

Thank you for years of scrumptious recipes, beloved characters, and keeping me in touch with home through your books. I have a hard copy of every book you've written. We adore your stories!

Warm regards,
Mindy

message 41: by Marla (new)

Marla (marlabrannock) | 1 comments Love love loved it. But there seemed to be a bit of finality to it. I hope that doesn't mean that this is the last (although you can certainly start a new series anytime!). I've love to see Marla (my namesake) find a strong love interest while Goldy and Tom move into the new chapter of their life (boy did I love that one!).
Best wishes,
Marla

message 42: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Truiett | 1 comments Hello!
I have enjoyed each book so much. How did you get the idea for the puzzles that Holly made? It was very unique.
Thanks for hours of reading!
Elizabeth Truiett

message 43: by Julia (new)

Julia | 1 comments Cynthia wrote: "Welcome to the group! Diane will be answering questions throughout the day on Friday, September 13th in this thread only. In the meantime if you have a question for Diane or just want to introduce ..."
Dear Diane -- I too have enjoyed your books so much over the years: Through the many years of hauling kids, long commutes and needing a good "who-dun it" -- you have been there with a new & interesting twist. As an avid baker, I have enjoyed many of your recipes and am always surprised at how good they are!
Have always wondered: How do you come up with new recipes and how are they tested before they go into your next book? Yours, Julia

message 44: by Anne (new)

Anne | 2 comments Hi Diane,

Are they any authors that you love or are inspired by?

Anne
Chicago

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1 comments Hi Diane,

I've read all of your Goldy books and loved them. They were some of the first books that got me into reading cozy mysteries, I think my first was Chopping Spree.

My question is, Goldy's backstory with the Jerk is a lot darker than some other cozies. I just wondered what inspired you to take that direction with her?

Also, I loved how Goldy seem to really grow past that in this book, it was really well done. :)

Thanks,
Melissa

message 46: by Robin (new)

Robin | 1 comments Hi Diane,

I met you at a book signing in Denver about 15 years ago. You gave me some good advice about my own writing and pointed me in the right direction. I have published a few memoir peices and still love to write. I have read all your Goldy books and still have the signed copies. I love your writing style!

Thanks,

Robin

message 47: by Connie (last edited Sep 13, 2013 07:03AM) (new)

Connie | 3 comments Hi Diane, I had the pleasure of listening in on a recent chat line with you, but was unable to say hello or ask a question. I am the biggest Goldie fan (i think) in the world! Your books have changed me for the better, just ask my kids! I never enjoyed cooking before and now I can't be stopped! I read and reread all your books every year and never grow tired. I would like to say that people are always commenting on Arch and his attitude, but I think it is very realistic to the way kids act today. My Mother, who raised 8 kids always tells people that you start to 'like your kids again when they turn about 25' and I believe it. I have 3 daughters, the oldest 33 and the youngest 20, and shes right. I love your storylines and find them so interesteng and always learn something new from your books. I personally like the older books more, but maybe its just because I've read them so many times and am more familiar with them. It amazes me how I never bore of them! You are spectacular and just keep up the amazing stories! Thank you so much. PS I love all the characters, especially Marla, Julian, Arch but mostly Tom (I want one of him!)

Forever a fan, Connie

message 48: by Diane-OP (new)

Diane-OP I'd like to know if there is a real live person that Tom is based on..... and, if so - is there a way to clone that guy? Though you do let us see him a little impatient or exasperated sometimes (which means he's not a TOTAL saint) - he still seems too good to be true..... So, give it up Diane - is there a real live prototype? :-)

I love the books too - yours are the only cozy mysteries I read. Others I've tried seem too shallow to me. But since I lived inColorado for a while, and count it as "home" the books help me revisit that fun time in my life.

Haven't read Enchilada yet - so the comments above about a sense of finality worry me a bit :-) Please keep writing!

Diane

message 49: by Connie (new)

Connie | 3 comments I don't understand why people keep commenting on "The Whole Enchilada" seeming like the last book. I didn't get that at all, although that could just be wishful thinking...

forever a fan, Connie

message 50: by Tina (new)

Tina Diane, I love Goldy, this is my favorite series ever. I just wondered if you ever thought of doing a spin off series about Julian, I love him and his passion for cooking and catering. I think he would also make a great sleuth and mysteries starring a man would make it different and fun.

« previous 1 3

Ask Diane Mott Davidson - Friday, September 13th!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Chopping Spree (other topics)