The Lost Challenges discussion

Archives - Team Scavenger Hunt > Gandalf the Grey's Gals

Comments Showing 1-50 of 582 (582 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Aug 23, 2013 09:31AM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Grey-
Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron
❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥
Nika **~OhMyShelves~**
Jodi
Gea

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) ...

message 4: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 3560 comments Mod
Hey team

Nika  ♥Marie♥ (livingcre8tively) Hey Team!!!

message 6: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 406 comments Hi everyone :)

This is my first time in this challenge and I'm looking forward to playing with you. I'll be probably asking some questions in beginning until I get used to the challenge, I hope you're all patient :)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Hey team Grey.

I just wanted to explain you are the only team with 5 members. Regular points will work the same in that you won't get the point until the whole team gets the point. But for the bonus points your team will need to get 3 members to get the half point and the whole team to get a full point.

message 8: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Gea wrote: "Hi everyone :)

This is my first time in this challenge and I'm looking forward to playing with you. I'll be probably asking some questions in beginning until I get used to the challenge, I hope y..."

Just ask away

Nika  ♥Marie♥ (livingcre8tively) Gea wrote: "Hi everyone :)

This is my first time in this challenge and I'm looking forward to playing with you. I'll be probably asking some questions in beginning until I get used to the challenge, I hope y..."

Hi Gea,
This is my first time to and since Ezi and I go back like 4 flats on a Cadillac I have been bombarding her with questions and I am still confused.

message 10: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Nika **~OhMyShelves~** wrote: "Gea wrote: "Hi everyone :)

This is my first time in this challenge and I'm looking forward to playing with you. I'll be probably asking some questions in beginning until I get used to the challen..."

What are you still confused about?

message 11: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 406 comments It's a bit complicated challenge, but here's what I understand so far (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Each week an item and bonus item will be called
2. We have to read a book which includes these two item somehow (mentioned in title, text of the book or on the cover)
3. We can also find items in advance, we can claim up to 4 items per book (each one from different category).
4. If the item we already claimed is called up later we have to read another book with it again for team to claim the point.

The number 4 is a bit confusing to me, did I understand it right?

message 12: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Gea wrote: "It's a bit complicated challenge, but here's what I understand so far (correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Each week an item and bonus item will be called
2. We have to read a book which includes these t..."

Yes you got it right. With #4 is right but don't forget you still can claim 3 more different items and the bonus.

Here is the past games that might help more Here

message 13: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 406 comments That's what I thought, thanks :) Now comes my favorite part of the challenge - hunting for books

message 14: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Ezi tell you about looking up the books on Amazon and Google books?

Google Books

message 15: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 406 comments Who wants to be the captain and what about our name? I don't know anyone so I don't have any preferences about the captain (as long as it's not me). Our name is a bit depressing for me so maybe we could change it?

message 16: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

I would not like to be captain and for name I have no clue

message 17: by Nika ♥Marie♥ (new)

Nika  ♥Marie♥ (livingcre8tively) the claiming in advance confuses me. I don't want to be captain because I never played.

message 18: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1881 comments Hi all

message 19: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Nika **~OhMyShelves~** wrote: "the claiming in advance confuses me. I don't want to be captain because I never played."

When you say it like that, "claiming in advance" it makes it sound more confusing than it is. I'll try to simplify.

You are claiming up to 5 items each week. One from each category: spring, summer, fall, winter & bonus. I will give you 2 of the items that you must claim. The other 3 categories are up to you to decide which you want to claim.

message 20: by Nika ♥Marie♥ (new)

Nika  ♥Marie♥ (livingcre8tively) Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "Nika **~OhMyShelves~** wrote: "the claiming in advance confuses me. I don't want to be captain because I never played."

When you say it like that, "claiming in advance" it makes it sound more con..."

If you call a claimed item we lose the points and then have to read a book with those items to get those points back?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone! EZI!!! :D

This is my first time playing Scavenger Hunt. As I'm a team captain for a BINGO challenge, I'd rather not be a captain for this one, too. Sorry!!

Hope no one is offended by m/m romance. That tends to be my genre of choice. :D

message 22: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1881 comments Jodi, this #3 (Bingo, KMM Highlander too)

message 23: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1881 comments I guess I'll have to lead this team to victory...:)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay!! *chanting* Ezi! Ezi! Ezi!

message 25: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1881 comments Jodi wrote: "Yay!! *chanting* Ezi! Ezi! Ezi!"

Before you start (and in the interest of self disclsoure), I must warn you all:

1) I don't play for fun, I play to win. Yes, I'm quite competitive. I'm not overly crazy, but late stragglers drive me nuts. i.e., if review is due on Friday at midnight, then player turns in review at at 10pm.
Stuff happens, but there are people who are consistently late on other teams, and it makes me crazy.

2) I expect people to check in early on the day word is called and make their choices early...not the next day. Again, things happen, people travel...but not every week.

3) regular communication. Check in at least every 3 days. You can just say "20% into my book and it sucks so far. Hope it gets better" etc

4) Regular positive support. i.e. "great review; way to get your book done; I'm sorry your book sucks, keep at it and I hope it gets better" etc

5) I have been known to check other threads to see if their books really do have the specified word (LMAO, did I mention that I was competitive?)...but I will try not to do that this round. Ummm, no promises on that one, okay?

If you are okay with those few minor character flaws and expectations, then I will be okay with being captain.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

*hands Ezi captain hat* Works for me!! Now excuse me while I go over there and cower in fear. ;) Just kidding!!

message 27: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1881 comments Team Name: since Lord of the Rings is on (again!), it make me thing of Gandalf the Grey's Girls/Gals.
Another one: Shades of Grey; Grey Gooses

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the Gandalf one the best. :)

message 29: by Nika ♥Marie♥ (new)

Nika  ♥Marie♥ (livingcre8tively) I like the Gandolf the Grey!!! Ezi is our fearless leader.

message 30: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1881 comments Jodi wrote: "I like the Gandalf one the best. :)"

I would like a Splash of grey goose right now:)

message 31: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1881 comments Nika **~OhMyShelves~** wrote: "I like the Gandolf the Grey!!! Ezi is our fearless leader."

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

I would like thank my team for all their hard work, especially the grass roots movement. And for those who didn't vote me, I will still be your president, I mean team captain

message 32: by Nika ♥Marie♥ (new)

Nika  ♥Marie♥ (livingcre8tively) I need a drank!!!

message 33: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Nika **~OhMyShelves~** wrote: "I like the Gandolf the Grey!!! Ezi is our fearless leader."

Me too

message 34: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "Jodi wrote: "I like the Gandalf one the best. :)"

I would like a Splash of grey goose right now:)"

LOL, me too.

message 35: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Nika **~OhMyShelves~** wrote: "If you call a claimed item we lose the points and then have to read a book with those items to get those points back? " ..."

Kinda, you don't really loose the point.

Lets say week one Rabbit is called with a bonus of Rain.
You claim Rabbit, Hat, Ball, Piano and Rain for week 1.

Then week 2 the item called is Ball and a bonus of Boots. You don't loose the point for ball you already have it and it won't be taken away. But in order to claim any points or get the bonus for Boots your book also has to have Ball in it. So you would have to use Ball as your Summer item and wouldn't get to claim another from that category.

It happens to almost everyone, only a few rounds has 1 maybe 2 people managed to not have this happen. It is all about the luck of the draw.

To help compensate for this there is a new twist this round. Through random selection at one point through the game between week 5 and 10 a SUPER-BONUS will be drawn. The SUPER-BONUS will allow each player to claim an extra item that week. Each player can decide from which category they want their extra item to be in. The whole team does not have to be the same.

So if the above situation happened to you during that SUPER BONUS week you could claim 2 summer items, to make up for the week you didn't get to claim one.

message 36: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 406 comments I like it that we have a competitive captain, I'm a very fast reader myself and usually I find myself in a team with slower readers so I slow down my reading as well.
I like the Gandalf name the most and it looks like it will be our team name as well :)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm typically a slow reader, but I'll always get my book in with plenty of time to spare. Finding my book might take me most of the day, though, since the word will be called while I'm at work, and I won't have time to look until I get home (around 7 hrs later).

I'm trying to find some of my books ahead of time, but it's a challenge with the bonus items.

message 38: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 24, 2013 03:34AM) (new)

Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "I would like a Splash of grey goose right now:)"

I hear that!! I just woke up and I think I need one. LOL Okay...that doesn't sound good. ;)

message 39: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 24, 2013 03:38AM) (new)

❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ wrote: "Ezi tell you about looking up the books on Amazon and Google books?

Google Books"

Sooo...you just type in the words you're looking for, and it'll find you a book?? Please say yes, because that will make things a whole lot easier. LOL

message 40: by Nika ♥Marie♥ (new)

Nika  ♥Marie♥ (livingcre8tively) I'm not a slow reader perse but I just started school and a new job.

message 41: by Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos), Group Creator (new)

Jodi wrote: "❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ wrote: "Ezi tell you about looking up the books on Amazon and Google books?

Google Books"

Sooo...you just type in the words you're looking for, and it'll find you a book?? Please s..."

Kind of

On Amazon you just look up the book you want to read and click on look inside. And then on the right it is going to search inside the book and you just type in the word your looking and it will show you if the word is in there or not.

It is the same with Google books

Someone might can explain better

message 42: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1881 comments Jodi wrote: "❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ wrote: "Ezi tell you about looking up the books on Amazon and Google books?

Google Books"

Sooo...you just type in the words you're looking for, and it'll find you a book?? Please s..."

1) If you have a list of books you want to read, then go to either amazon or Google books.
2) If you are on amazon, use the paperback or hardcover editions (NOT the kindle editions).
3) Click on the book cover, it says "Look inside"
4) there will be a little box on the left side where it says "Search inside"
5) type in the word you are looking for. It will show you the pages that word appears on. Or it may say it "No results for Gandalf"

*Some books don't have the Look inside feature. Some books, usually the kindle only releases don't have it either.
But if there is a book you really want to read, pm me and I will see if I can find it another way.

message 43: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1881 comments So are we Gandalf the Gray's Girls, Gals or Ladies?

message 44: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Aug 24, 2013 10:36AM) (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1881 comments Another house keeping issue. I don't like skimpy reviews. I don't expect a novel for a review, but please have at least 5 sentences to give the reader a semblance of your grasp of the book.
So please use this format :)

Don't get scared, it's not hard. It will be a piece of cake. I just want to make sure we start off well and set a good standard.

Here is one of my reviews: Ezi's Post 74 from Team Two by Four

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Nika **~OhMyShelves~** wrote: "I'm not a slow reader perse but I just started school and a new job."

Oh, so limited reading time. I can see that happening. :)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

❥☪LIZZ NEILL☪❥ wrote: "On Amazon you just look up the book you want to read and click on look inside"

Okay, so this is what I've basically been doing, only I've been using Calibre or my Kindle app to do the search in books that I already own. Got it! :)

Thanks for the tips, Lizz and Ezi!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "So are we Gandalf the Gray's Girls, Gals or Ladies?"

I like "girls" or "gals". I think I'm leaning toward "gals".

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Ezinwanyi~For you, Agron wrote: "Another house keeping issue. I don't like skimpy reviews. I don't expect a novel for a review, but please have at least 5 sentences to give the reader a semblance of your grasp of the book.
So plea..."

Will do!! :D

message 49: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 1881 comments I like gals too

message 50: by Nika ♥Marie♥ (new)

Nika  ♥Marie♥ (livingcre8tively) Ok. Ezi I think I can do that for you! I like Gals!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12