The Infernal Devices discussion

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
This topic is about City of Bones
The Mortal Instruments > What Will Happen to the Franchise?

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Codee Meredith | 43 comments So there have been a LOT of critics slamming the movie; they've called it an overly-complicated, melodramatic Twilight cop-out with too many main characters and a main heroine who isn't interesting enough. I personally loved it, even though it wasn't 100% true to the book. What do you guys think will happen? City of Ashes is slated to start filming next month, but will this bad press scare away moviegoers and ruin City of Bones' box office standings? Do you think they may not film City of Glass, or even scrap City of Ashes? I'm super scared!

message 2: by Aleksiel (new) - added it

Aleksiel | 136 comments In the nearest cinema to wear I live the best spots in the movie theater were bought two days before the premiere. There were many fans laughing even before the jokes on screen, I think most people loved it. There were some jerks that left after the first hour loudly declaring just how much the movie sucks. I don't blame them because the movie was described as something it wasn't, it was posted as a crime film with a wrong review. It was changed afterwards, but they were probably misled.

May be the movie doesn't appeal to boys who haven't read the books at first. The first hour was like a huge introduction without much action, but it was good.

The thing about Hodge and his curse was odd, but whatever. I was annoyed that Magnus didn't have cat eyes (we saw just a flash which was stupid). Too little Magnus to put it simply :D Not that he has big part in the book though. I didn't like that Alec was described as Jace's best friend and not his parabatai. Hey, that's important!

Over all I liked the changes and really enjoyed the movie. The second part of it was awesome! Badass Izzy and Simon ;) I think there will be CoA and CoG and all. Everyone hated on Twilight, but they still filmed all books.

Inês (nesborges) | 35 comments I thought that they ruine my favourite book . but maybe is because i got TOOO many expectations and wante to see things more developed and better explore THEY FREAKING TAKE OUT THE PERSONALITY OF THE CHARACTERS AND ALL THE EMOTION FROM THE Book - they even mae the minight scene a bit cliché :/

althogh that i enjoyed a bit the movie (saw yesterday)

but i think that they continue do all the books into movie and maybe they might become better and better - the one that i'm most eager to see is City of Glass - that book is the best of the hole serie...

The movie starts well but then gots a bit messed up ...

but still i'm going to see all the adaptations

maybe the best to do if enyone didn't read the book is to see the movie first THEN you read the book (even if you liked or not the movie) because then you can make your jugments in a fair way :)

This is my opinion

ALSO

CLOCKWORK PRINCESS SPOILER

that neckless that ISabelle weres when she is in the Pandemonium ISn't that the neckless that Magnus gave to will and Will gave to Cecily? (it shines when its next to a demon if i remember)

message 4: by Inês (last edited Aug 24, 2013 07:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Inês (nesborges) | 35 comments Codee wrote: "So there have been a LOT of critics slamming the movie; they've called it an overly-complicated, melodramatic Twilight cop-out with too many main characters and a main heroine who isn't interesting..."

they already are doing the storyboar to city of ashes :)

message 5: by Allison (last edited Aug 24, 2013 10:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Allison Janezic (allilj) | 37 comments As a franchise it is already successful. Otherwise the book would have never been set to be on film. One thing I have to say is that the smartest promotion was the mall tours to get fans involved. The studio otherwise IMO dropped the ball in promoting it. Do I think the critics make a difference in the end? Somewhat yes. There reviews do have an impact on the general public. What needs to be done is to make this movie gross a lot the first weekend to get it to #1 and thus have a base for promotion on TV to get more people out there to see it. That will be tough with Wolverine and The World's End are out there. The Butler is drawing a lot of money but it's a serious drama and is not in direct competition to TMI as regards the base audience. My nephew would never watch that movie. In the end it boils down to $$$. Opening weekend is key and I think the second movie will be greenlit. However my concern is that the third is the one in danger and storywise it is essential for the story arc.

In the end no book franchise will ever top Harry Potter. Though I so wish this one would level up I don't see it happening. They had some missteps in it and I'm not sure people won't stop trying to compare it to Twilight which it's so different.

It will be up to the fans to carry this and promote it. Not just for the opening weekend but for the following ones. It's a grand total we are looking at not just an initial one.

message 6: by Aleksiel (new) - added it

Aleksiel | 136 comments Inês wrote: "I thought that they ruine my favourite book . but maybe is because i got TOOO many expectations and wante to see things more developed and better explore THEY FREAKING TAKE OUT THE PERSONALITY OF T..."

About the necklace (which I don't get why Izzy only had at the club, but anyway) (view spoiler)

Allison: Honestly I disliked the Harry Potter movies, I thought they were terrible and ruined my second most favorite series (well the last two were ok, but the first was a disaster!). My heart goes with TMI and I think CoB was fairly good and much better than the first HP movie. The Hunger Games are doing great, may be they would beat HP's success? I don't know.

I don't understand why CoB is compared to Twilight. Because it has vampires and a love story? o.O

Emily (demonpoxologist20) yeah, i don't think its anything like twilight cuz i didn't like the twilight movies very much and even though the movie had a couple spoilers and screwed a few things up, i still thought it was a good movie and i went to see it twice. i don't konw, maybe i liked it because i knew from the beginning that it wasn't going to be as good as the books, but that's just me.

Allison Janezic (allilj) | 37 comments Aleksiel: I compared it to HP only because of the amount of success that franchise has made. Of all book adaptations it reigns them all when it comes to money. When a book gets it's own theme park you have hit it into the stratosphere. I don't think Twilight or TMI will get a theme park. But it didn't keep me from trying to generate more interest in the film adaptation.

I honestly think the critics are going to compare this to Twilight for a few reasons. One the love story and triangle (or as Lily Collins says a cube which is more accurate). Second the vampires and werewolves being at war with one another. And last but not least the fact it's a teen novel turned into a movie. Because of the last one I feel that they will never separate the two even though it is very clear that this movie and book are nowhere near anything Twilight offers. Many are calling it a cheap version of Twilight. I seriously don't think they were watching the same movie. In fact I think a lot of critics made assumptions before they sat in the seat and didn't even give it a shot.

message 9: by Aleksiel (new) - added it

Aleksiel | 136 comments I just read that unfortunately TMI: CoB didn't do well during its first week with low domestic gross, just $14 million when it was supposed to get around $18 million (which is also considered not very good performance). Plus its rating is getting lower on imdb like everyday (I saw 7.3 or 7.2 then 7 then 6.9 and now it is 6.8).

There are so many fans of the books, why do you think they didn't go to see the movie? Will it be able to get its budget of $60 million + $15 (so I read, not sure) million for marketing. Seems unlikely to me :/

Allison Janezic (allilj) | 37 comments I think the fans showed up. I did. The problem lies with the poor reviews by critics and lack of promotion from the studio. In fact is it is the fans that made the 14 million. I've seen many posts from people seeing it multiple times one even 10. If that is indeed true. I don't have any doubt the fans made them this much. The weeks after the initial one are the ones that will matter. It will be hard for them to get the 60 million back and I would be very surprised if they made a profit. Gosh I really hate having to type that. :(

Kaila They're making COA no matter what. The company making them is the one who made Resident Evil, and those movies did not do well in the theatres, but there are already 5, so there's lots of hope! (I read that in an article, just not sure where...)

Allison Janezic (allilj) | 37 comments Well that is some good news. Thanks Kdez.

SHINY | 22 comments @Inês, Yup! The necklace that Isabelle was wearing @ Pandemonium was the same one that Will gave to Cecily.

*I bought the prop replica of the necklace and wore it to the theatre!:)

message 14: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 6 comments Movie was good but too many unnecessary changes IMO. Valentine is portrayed as crazy instead of intelligent, cold, and calculating, the curse being all in Hodge's head was weird but I can live with it, they told the audience about Clary and Jace not actually being related, and Simon didn't kill the greater demon that possessed Madame Dorthea. All these things didn't need to be changed, especially the change in Valentine's personality which ruined him as a character for me.

message 15: by Aleksiel (new) - added it

Aleksiel | 136 comments Ryan wrote: "Movie was good but too many unnecessary changes IMO. Valentine is portrayed as crazy instead of intelligent, cold, and calculating, the curse being all in Hodge's head was weird but I can live with..."

Well, Clary and Jace still don't know what the audience does. I think it was necessary so people don't make a big deal out of it + many parents wouldn't let their children see the next ones if incest was in the picture. I get what disappointed you and I get why they did.

I didn't like Valentine either, the fact that Jace too had locked memories and didn't recognize him, the stupid all-in-your-head curse, I mean come on!

Why didn't Izzy wear her necklace after the club? Stupid. I didn't like that black dust they used to detect demonic presence in Clary's apartment, but no biggie.

I don't remember Simon killing the demon in the book, didn't it just ran away when she shattered the glass? And the demon didn't posses Dorothea, it killed her and took her form :)

I really enjoyed all Sizzy moments <3 And Magnus, mmm <3 But why why why didn't he have cat eyes?! Yeah, they flashed twice, but come on, they had enough budget and CGI effects to make it happen, he was in the movie for like two minutes! I know I repeat myself, but I am so no over those things... Still, the movie was good :)

Alec was so awesome! He made the best faces all the time. Like when Jace said "Have a little faith" and ALec looks at him like "Whaaaaat? Dude, are you nuts! Wtf, you lost your mind right before this big battle, I mean come on!" :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Inês (nesborges) | 35 comments Aleksiel wrote: "Inês wrote: "I thought that they ruine my favourite book . but maybe is because i got TOOO many expectations and wante to see things more developed and better explore THEY FREAKING TAKE OUT THE PER..."

Shiny wrote: "@Inês, Yup! The necklace that Isabelle was wearing @ Pandemonium was the same one that Will gave to Cecily.

*I bought the prop replica of the necklace and wore it to the theatre!:)"

humm i though so...

message 17: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 6 comments Aleksiel wrote: "Ryan wrote: "Movie was good but too many unnecessary changes IMO. Valentine is portrayed as crazy instead of intelligent, cold, and calculating, the curse being all in Hodge's head was weird but I ..."

Maybe I am remembering it wrong? In the book didn't Simon rush in with Alec's bow and shoot out the skylight, killing the greater demon? It was a long time ago I read it so there is a chance I am wrong.

message 18: by Aleksiel (new) - added it

Aleksiel | 136 comments Ryan wrote: "Aleksiel wrote: "Ryan wrote: "Movie was good but too many unnecessary changes IMO. Valentine is portrayed as crazy instead of intelligent, cold, and calculating, the curse being all in Hodge's head..."

I might be wrong as well. I too remember him using Alec's bow to shatter a window and let the sunlight in, but in my memories the demon then escaped though the portal. I'll check it in the book :)

message 19: by Aleksiel (new) - added it

Aleksiel | 136 comments You were right Ryan, Simon kills the demon! Damn, why wasn't that in the movie?

message 20: by Ryan (last edited Aug 29, 2013 10:42AM) (new)

Ryan | 6 comments I do agree with you about the incest being written out of the movie though. I am sure it would have sickened people who hadn't read the books just as it sickened me before the truth came out. All the concerned parent groups would have had a field day with it.

Did I miss it or was Raphael Santiago not in the movie also? It will be interesting to see how they spin the whole Vampire Simon thing if he wasn't. In the end I guess fans of the book are probably impossible to please without making a 6 hour long movie.

message 21: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 6 comments Aleksiel wrote: "You were right Ryan, Simon kills the demon! Damn, why wasn't that in the movie?"

I know right!? too many changes that didn't need to happen.

message 22: by Aleksiel (new) - added it

Aleksiel | 136 comments I thought that vamp guy who took Simon was Raphael even though it was never stated, but here's what I found http://www.cityofbonesmovie.com/tag/r... So no Raphael yet I guess. Didn't you find it strange that Simon was bitten instead of the other way around? I mean doesn't that ruin the idea of Simon's change being his fault so to speak, aka going back to Dumort because he was sired or whatever?

message 23: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 6 comments Aleksiel wrote: "I thought that vamp guy who took Simon was Raphael even though it was never stated, but here's what I found http://www.cityofbonesmovie.com/tag/r... So no Raphael yet I guess. Didn't you find i..."

Exactly! What the vampires did at the party would have been against the Accords meaning death by shadowhunter.

Allison Janezic (allilj) | 37 comments I'm sure it will change things as to how Simon becomes a vampire but they had to change it for the sake of time. The end result is the same.

Manus' cat eyes didn't require CGI. They required lenses. Which worked perfectly well in Twilight. I can only assume they did this to give a mundane audience the view of what it might be like to see a glamour revealed.

message 25: by Aleksiel (new) - added it

Aleksiel | 136 comments Allison wrote: "I'm sure it will change things as to how Simon becomes a vampire but they had to change it for the sake of time. The end result is the same.

Manus' cat eyes didn't require CGI. They required lense..."

Yes, but as Ryan stated - it ruins the whole idea for the Accords

Allison Janezic (allilj) | 37 comments It does yes, but it would take so much time to explain the meaning of the accords to a movie audience. They had to make it simpler for the sake of time. It's not ideal for us fans of the book but there is only so much you can put in 2 hours. People who don't know the books are already saying there is too much going on in the movie. Explaining the accords would have not only distracted from the main plot of film but made it more difficult for others to keep up. If they tried to explain it they would have made a poor effort of it so really I think that it's best they didn't and changed how Simon becomes a vampire. Besides we don't know if the vampires were ever delt with for breaking the accords in the film. They could have been. The story never really got that far.

Courtney A.K.A The Book Addict (courtneyakathebookaddict) | 5 comments Were the Accords even mentioned in the movie? I don't remember hearing about it.

Codee Meredith | 43 comments I thought I remembered hearing Hodge say it once when they were talking about the Circle, but I could be wrong

Courtney A.K.A The Book Addict (courtneyakathebookaddict) | 5 comments Codee wrote: "I thought I remembered hearing Hodge say it once when they were talking about the Circle, but I could be wrong"

I can't remember, but thanks. It just seems careless that they'd left out the Accords. There could have been ways to simplify them to the audience. Or they could have just said that there were rules that downwolders had to go go that Shadowhunters enforced and then later explain it more in another movie. But whatevs

message 30: by Aleksiel (new) - added it

Aleksiel | 136 comments I remember hearing something like Shadowhunters having truce (or something like that) with Downworlders. I agree it would have been too much for this movie to include the Accords, but they could have saved it for later. Or may be they have?

Still it was ridiculous to have Simon so obviously kidnapped at Magnus's party and Magnus to be 'Whatever'. But hey, he was made to sound like a mundane hater anyway with Izzy telling Clary 'If you look like a mundy, you won't be able to come anywhere near Magnus'.

Codee Meredith | 43 comments Aleksiel wrote: "I remember hearing something like Shadowhunters having truce (or something like that) with Downworlders. I agree it would have been too much for this movie to include the Accords, but they could ha..."

Well if you think about it, Magnus was never really into helping Shadowhunters until he started dating Alec. He only fought against Valentine and Sebastian because Alec was too, and in CoLS he says at one point that if he weren't with Alec, or if Alec was willing to run, he would have hid. So maybe it's not that he HATES mundanes, he just doesn't like getting involved one way or the other.

message 32: by Aleksiel (last edited Aug 30, 2013 11:16AM) (new) - added it

Aleksiel | 136 comments Codee wrote: "Aleksiel wrote: "I remember hearing something like Shadowhunters having truce (or something like that) with Downworlders. I agree it would have been too much for this movie to include the Accords, ..."

They aren't mundanes, they are Shadowhunters! They treated and still do Downworlders horribly. Plus Shadowhunters can protect themselves.

Magnus doesn't fight anyone else's battles and that's perfectly understandable, doesn't mean he'd allowed vampires snatching a mundane in his own apartment - in fact in one of the Bane Chronicles he warns a vamp girl not to feed on his customers (he had a bar back in the day).

Besides saving one person isn't the same as fighting in a war, it's common courtesy when it happens under your roof...

Edit: Sorry, that sounded rather harsh. What I mean is that saving Simon doesn't equal helping Shadowhunters. In the book Magnus didn't know he was taken, just that he was a rat, but will be fine in a few hours, which is very different from the way Magnus was portrayed in the movie. Details in a way, I doubt anyone gave it as much thought, but it really bothers me :/

Codee Meredith | 43 comments At least they said they'e still making it... that's better than canceling it outright I suppose

Emily (demonpoxologist20) yeah, they are still making it and it will probably be better with more time to write the screenplay

message 36: by Brisa (new) - added it

Brisa Andrade | 9 comments Do yall know when they are planing to start? N one more question do u know when they plan on releasing it?

Allison Janezic (allilj) | 37 comments Brisa: No and No. They have not given any word to when the filming will begin nor to when they will release it. In all honesty it could be a few months or worse years.

message 38: by Brisa (new) - added it

Brisa Andrade | 9 comments Omg im ok with a year but years?

Allison Janezic (allilj) | 37 comments I'm not saying it will happen to be years but it has happened to other films. For now we need to keep showing support for the next installment. That way the studio will know we want it. That we need it.

There is something that crossed my mind. The actors are only signed to the next film and not COG. If the second film could be a flop for the studio they could try and combine the two books into COA. They have not said that is what they will do but I mean what would be worse having a second movie not do well and never see it wrapped up or have a second film where it ends well? Just a thought again... not fact.

message 40: by Aleksiel (last edited Sep 13, 2013 07:18AM) (new) - added it

Aleksiel | 136 comments Hmm... Combining CoA and CoG seems unlikely to me. Fans won't like for one and non-book fans won't like it either, because there won't be enough time to make sense of everything. Second, it would mean they do not intend to make a third movie, so why bother at all? I've read that they gave CoB somewhat finished end just in case it didn't do well enough for sequel.

May be if they changed the director for CoA it ill be better. If something like finding other people to work on it is the reason, then it's fine. But there it's possible that they just aren't sure about the sequel and don't want to give a clear answer now. So they go with the neutral 'we are only delaying it' because people won't go to see the first movie of series if they know there won't be a sequel.

message 41: by Brisa (new) - added it

Brisa Andrade | 9 comments Ok so this is random but i was thinking .. basicly tessa is jace grate grandmother

message 42: by Brisa (new) - added it

Brisa Andrade | 9 comments Ok so this is random but i was thinking .. basicly tessa is jace grate grandmother

message 43: by Brisa (new) - added it

Brisa Andrade | 9 comments Ok so this is random but i was thinking .. basicly tessa is jace grate grandmother?

message 44: by Aleksiel (new) - added it

Aleksiel | 136 comments Spoilers much :P

message 45: by Brisa (new) - added it

Brisa Andrade | 9 comments Lmao sorry-_-