The Lost Challenges discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 227 (227 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Sep 23, 2013 07:03AM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Green-
Debbie
★Meghan★
Kay

Dusty
Katya
Paris

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) ...

message 4: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) Hi teamies! It was nice being the first place I looked

message 5: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) Hi from GA! I am going to be out of town this week-end for a funeral. I will not be on the internet much but will check when I can.

I would prefer not to be the team captain. I will be glad to help, but I am extremely busy right now - not too busy to read though!

This is my 2nd time with the challenge, and my team came in 3rd in the last challenge.

I am looking forward to reading with all of you!!

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim Hi Team! I am super excited to start. Does anyone have an idea for a team name? I am not very creative so I am fine staying green unless anyone has any ideas. :)

message 7: by Dusty (new)

Dusty Hello everyone. I totally spaced off what day it was. The first thing that popped into my head for a name is green ivy or shamrock!

message 8: by Kim (new)

Kim I like Green Ivy for a team name! Is anyone interested in being captain? I have never been one, but I can do it if no one else wants to. It sounds like they really just check Dawn's work and let her know if a team member goes missing, right?

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Kay wrote: "I like Green Ivy for a team name! Is anyone interested in being captain? I have never been one, but I can do it if no one else wants to. It sounds like they really just check Dawn's work and let ..."

That is exactly it. Some captains make their own spread sheet for them to track items. I guess to make it easier to compare to mine? But you don't have to do all that if you don't want to.

message 10: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) Kay wrote: "I like Green Ivy for a team name! Is anyone interested in being captain? I have never been one, but I can do it if no one else wants to. It sounds like they really just check Dawn's work and let ..."

Kay, I would prefer not to be captain, but I will be glad to help or be a co-captain. I am extremely busy with work and with my mom just passing away, I have personal issues of hers that I have to take care of. I have plenty of time for the challenge but not enough to devote to captain.

This is a fun and easy challenge. Green Ivy sounds good!

message 11: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) Time for a proper introduction from me...

Hi! My name is Meghan! I am from Colorado Springs, CO. I love to read (well, duh) and I just started knitting which I love. I am currently in between challenges and need something to do. I am excited for this coming round. I am extremely busy with work just as an FYI. (Right now working a minimum of 12 hour work days every week.) I am also working on my own wedding which is at the end of October. I am hoping that I won't get too busy around that time. I find reading as a good way to relax so I think I will be okay..

As for a team name, I am quite alright with Green Ivy.

I will be ready with books for this coming weekend.

message 12: by Debbie (Doc) (last edited Aug 27, 2013 04:13AM) (new)

Debbie (Doc) Since the challenge begins on Friday, we need to choose a team captain. Has anyone played this challenge before?

My team came in third on the last round. The best way to earn points is to strategize and try to choose the same words if possible. We only earn points once all team members have completed a word. This round is a little different than last time. The team that earns 50 points first will win, which means that strategy will be important.

I am in the middle of a book now but will be ready to begin another one over the week-end - perfect timing - yeah!!

I really like this challenge, because I am able to easily choose books that I want to read and that also tie into other challenges. It has also forced me to read more. Looking forward to Friday!!

message 13: by Dusty (new)

Dusty Sorry I haven't posted lately. My sons school changed his schedule 3 times in two week. Hopefully got it fixed now. He has a computer class so I have to share the PC. Not sure about being captain. I work full time (read on my lunch), have two boys, one in middle school an one in elementary. I get on line when I can, normally its at night. I'm in Roswell New Mexico. An Dawn(kat n hat) is my big sis. I've played sense the start so I can answer most questions too.

message 14: by Dusty (new)

Dusty P.S. can't wait for Friday. Trying to finish my book by tomorrow so I'll be ready.

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim Sounds like we are all super busy! My 5 kids started three different schools today so my slow summer is gone!!! I am so nervous to hear how their day went. They all started new schools today since we just moved.

I can be captain if you need me to. I don't have time to make a spreadsheet and keep it up, but I can check over Dawn's spreadsheet once a week to make sure our points are right.

Should we go with the name Green Ivy?

message 16: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) Kay wrote: "Sounds like we are all super busy! My 5 kids started three different schools today so my slow summer is gone!!! I am so nervous to hear how their day went. They all started new schools today sin..."

Kay, it sounds like you are busier than I am. I am teaching 11 classes at the university level but I work primarily from home teaching online. I can be captain if everyone would like for me to. I teach accounting and am fast with spreadsheets so I can create one quickly and keep it up.

If anyone else would like to be captain, fine by me. Otherwise, I'll be glad to do it.

I really like Green Ivy - how about everyone else?

message 17: by Dusty (new)

Dusty Green Ivy works for me.

message 18: by Kim (new)

Kim Debbie ~ Why don't you be captain then and I will be your back up. If you get busy, just let me know and I can totally help out.

I like Green Ivy too, so let's go with it!!! :)

message 19: by Dusty (new)

Dusty That works for me. I check in on an off during the day but my phone doesn't like to let me post anything, so I have to wait tell I'm home. Have a couple books picked out, just depends on what's called.

message 20: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Hey all I just wanted to point out a second spread sheet is optional a lot of teams do them so if you all are too busy to do one don't worry about it. The main point is someone to check up on me as I tend to update points in the morning before my coffee has fully kicked in.

message 21: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) Dawn (Kat N Hat) wrote: "Hey all I just wanted to point out a second spread sheet is optional a lot of teams do them so if you all are too busy to do one don't worry about it. The main point is someone to check up on me as..."

I think that I am just too bloomin' organized. I have a spreadsheet with several books that will fill all of the words - what a reading nerd I am. Maybe, that is just the teacher in me... hehe.

I will just copy my personal spreadsheet and include our names rather than books. That will help me keep up with my own points as well. Thanks, Dawn!

message 22: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) Are we going to try to look for the same extra words each week or just want we want to read? It doesn't matter to me. I am looking for books that will fit so just thought that I would throw that out there.

message 23: by Dusty (new)

Dusty I say for the first couple weeks, what ever you want, then start working on what other people got.

message 24: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) Dusty wrote: "I say for the first couple weeks, what ever you want, then start working on what other people got."

Sounds good!

message 25: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) Word of the Week is up!

HEART & BED

message 26: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) I will be reading Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger .

The words I will use are: heart, flower, dad, soldier, and bed.

message 27: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) I will be reading Rock Chick (Rock Chick, #1) by Kristen Ashley

I will be claiming: heart, Vacation, Junk food, School, and Bed

message 28: by Dusty (new)

Dusty OK made it home an dinner started. Will check my books after kids are feed.

message 29: by Kim (last edited Aug 30, 2013 06:24PM) (new)

Kim I am going to read Crewel. It has both items and I made sure it has at least one item in the other categories. I will figure out which ones I am going to claim later this weekend.

message 30: by Dusty (new)

Dusty I will read Rees (Tales of the Shareem, #1) by Allyson James . Still thinking on extra words.

message 31: by Dusty (new)

Dusty OK to let everyone know my camping trip is back on so I will not have internet tell Monday. Almost done with book. Will post when I get back.

message 32: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) I will be done with my book by tomorrow afternoon. It's been a crazy week!

message 33: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) I am with Debbie! I should be done with my book by Thursday. Work has been crazy and I worked straight through the weekend and will have Thursday off so I can definitely have my book done on Thursday.

message 34: by Dusty (new)

Dusty I read Rees (Tales of the Shareem, #1) by Allyson James by Allyson James
FINISHED 9/3/13
STARS 5

HEART-pg 26- Talan's heart beat fast an hard.
BED-pg 37- Was the bed uncomfortable?
A PLANET-pg 22- Bor Narga had become a planet to be reckoned with.
GRASS-pg 91- The grass tickled he's bare legs.
SCHOOL-pg 24- I sent her to the best schools.

I loved this book. Its about a guy who was created in a lab to be the most extreme sex slave. The company went bankrupt an they let all the slaves, aka shareem, loose. He meets Lady Talan who want to learn about shareem. They fall in love an Rees finds out that she is the only woman who can handle what he can do with out any harm.

message 35: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) I read Rock Chick (Rock Chick, #1) by Kristen Ashley
4.5 stars
Rounded to 5
Read 9/4

This is one of those books that several of my friends have been talking about, and I wanted to join in on the bandwagon. Actually, they have read several in the series so it is about time that I try to catch up. Indy Savage is a 30 year old rock hippie wanna be. Her dad is a former cop so she has been around the precinct and knows what to expect with criminals. She owns a used bookstore left to her by her eccentric grandmother. One of Indy’s employees, a quiet barista is caught stealing diamonds and thus begins Indy’s wild ride.

The groundwork nicely played out by Kristen Ashley between Indy and bad boy Lee is hilarious. There were actually some laugh out loud moments, and I must say my hubby and kids were a little worried about me – if not downright annoyed! While Indy did tend to grate on my nerves at times due to her young adolescence nature, she ultimately made the story with her funny and sarcastic antics.

Beginning at age 5, Indy was head over heels in love with Lee. Now that the tables are turned, Indy isn’t so sure of Lee and his bad boy persona. Indy and Lee’s story is sexy and at times infuriating. If you like contemporary romance mixed in with sex and adventure, you will not be disappointed. I for one plan on reading more from this series.

Heart - Page 22 ” My stomach clenched and my heart stopped for a couple of beats.

Vacation - Page 368 “You and I are going to disappear. We’re taking a long vacation.

Junk Food - Page 173 ... We walked down to Kumar’s and stocked up on junk food …

School - Page 9 ... Lee had gone into the Army after high school.

Bed - Page 64 ... I’ve been shot at, stun-gunned, pulled out of bed in the middle of the night.

message 36: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) Dusty wrote: "I read Rees (Tales of the Shareem, #1) by Allyson James by Allyson James
FINISHED 9/3/13
STARS 5

HEART-pg 26- Talan's heart beat fast an hard.
BED-pg 37- Was the bed uncomfortable?
A PLANET-pg 22- Bor Narga had become a ..."

Sounds like my kind of book!

message 37: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Kay wrote: "I am going to read Crewel. It has both items and I made sure it has at least one item in the other categories. I will figure out which ones I am going to claim later this weekend."

Has anyone heard from Kay? It has been almost a week since she checked in last.

message 38: by Kim (new)

Kim I am here! This had been a crazy week! We sold our house over the summer and we are in a rental. We weren't planning on buying anything until our lease was up, but decided to build last minute. I had to drop everything and start getting my five kids switched to different schools. One of them is in high school so that is taking longer. I have had to go back and forth between schools getting all kinds of forms signed.

I got up super early to try and finish my book before the next item is posted, but I am not sure if I have enough time.

message 39: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) I am feeling generous, Kay and Meghan you have about 20 minutes.

message 40: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) I stayed up really late finishing my book and hoped I would get up in time. Then my computer is being a brat. Soooo... I will try to do this on my phone.

message 41: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) ★Meghan★ wrote: "I stayed up really late finishing my book and hoped I would get up in time. Then my computer is being a brat. Soooo... I will try to do this on my phone."

If you can get the name of the book and list your words. I'll let you go back and edit it later.

message 42: by ★Meghan★ (last edited Sep 06, 2013 06:57AM) (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) Meghan'a Heart Review
Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger by Gail Carriger
book completed: 9/6/2013
rating: 4 stars

review
I don't know why but I absolutely LOVE steam punk. It has a great mix of futuristic and still keeps the historical aspect of the story. I think my favorite part of them is how strong the women in the book are compared to the times that they are set. That is definitely what I loved most about this book. Alexia is extremely strong and doesn't give in to what others say. She doesn't care that she is a spinster and she doesn't degrade her deceased father's heritage even though everyone else around her does. I am excited to read more about her and her future in the coming books. I also like Lord Maccon and his "sidekick" Professor Lyall as the werewolves who are in charge of all supernatural. They prove to be the perfect mix of one another and know each other well enough to see the truth behind the invisible walls. I also love that Professor Lyall is not the type of person to intrude past where he needs to. But rather will just sit on the border.

Heart: "...straight into the vampire's heart." -pg. 3
Flower: "...velvet affair covered in yellow flowers..." -pg. 88
Dad: "...to thank her dead Italian father for." -pg. 17
Soldier: "...the next like trumped-up soldiers." -pg. 158
Bed: "...after she dressed for bed." -pg. 87

message 43: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Meghan, I'll take it as on time to get the bonus point just be sure to let me know when you add the words in.

message 44: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) I added them in!!!!

message 45: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) All right! Words of the week:

BALL

and

ELBOW

message 46: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) I am going to read Onyx (Lux, #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout .

Words of the week: snow, a planet, ball, school and elbow

message 47: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) I am going to read The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

It has the words

Hat
Flower
Ball
Leaf
Elbow

message 48: by Kim (new)

Kim Hey guys, I think I am going to drop from the challenge. I woke up at 3:00 am to try and finish my book and now I am dragging today. That's just not good when you have five kids, LOL! I average a book a week, but some weeks I have more time than others and I think this challenge is a little too structured for me right now.

Good luck everyone!

message 49: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Just to let you all know. I am working on a replacement player.

message 50: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Hey Ladies Katya will be here soon to help you all out.

« previous 1 3 4 5