Discuss @ Carroll County Public Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Reading Challenges > The Book Was Better...

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Caruso (beanlene) | 39 comments Two big YA book based movies are coming out soon -- The Book Thief and Ender's Game. I am so hoping that Hollywood doesn't massacre either of these stories! The previews look good so let's hope the movies are too.

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin (egambrill) | 15 comments I have to say, that "About a Boy" by Nick Hornby was a much better movie than it was a book. The only time I've ever encountered this! I think the soundtrack and the grey scenery of contemporary London helped portray the feelings of modern despair more than the book did.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Badeker | 7 comments I dare anyone who has read Shrek! to say that the book was better...

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris (krispe2) | 2 comments A movie I refused to see as I love the books and main character was Jack Reacher with Tom Cruise. Hard to imagine 5'7" Tom playing 6'5" Jack. I love the Orson Welles version of Jane Eyre best of all of them...read the book 8 times and felt the Welles version really captured Rochester and Jane from the book. Did think The Help movie was as good as the book even with the Hollywood ending.....

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina | 11 comments I thought that the movie How to Train Your Dragon was way better than the book.

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina | 11 comments Hollywood slaughtered the Inkheart books by Cornelia Funke

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Harper | 12 comments OMG, they were playing the Inkheart movie in the hospital right after I had my baby. I finally slept after 48 hours of being up to have her, and that movie was on. I couldn't believe it was an actual movie. It was terrible.

I think the Golden Compass was better than the movie made it seem. The movie wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.

message 8: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 5 comments Kris wrote: "A movie I refused to see as I love the books and main character was Jack Reacher with Tom Cruise. Hard to imagine 5'7" Tom playing 6'5" Jack. I love the Orson Welles version of Jane Eyre best of a..."

I agree Kris-but I did break down and watch the movie and it actually wasn't to bad-he is no Reacher but a good movie in all!

message 9: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 5 comments Years ago I had read "The Firm" by John Grisham and was so excited that they were making it a movie. They totally ruined it. They changed the ending and it made no sense at all. The book was excellent and would of made a great movie if they had just followed it. My philosphy on the whole is if you like the book-don't waste your time on the movie!

message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin (egambrill) | 15 comments I agree with Bryan about Little Children. Loved both, but there are elements of the movie that really stick with me.

message 11: by Mallory (new)

Mallory | 44 comments My all-time favorite book is "The Count of Monte Cristo" and although the 2002 film featured some good actors, it simply did not match up to the level of thrills and excitement I had when reading it. I'm not going to rip the adaptation because it wasn't horrible. For me though, I think a well-done TV mini-series would serve CMC much better.

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 3 comments Hunger Games the movie followed the book almost exactly. Not the greatest book or movie though. I loved Brian Depalma's Carrie and Stephen King's book. I am looking forward to the new movie of the same due out this fall. I think that movies and books really stand alone and can't necessarily be compared as the same thing. Certainly the TV version of Carrie was so bad that if I were King I woulda sued.

message 13: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Caruso (beanlene) | 39 comments Mallory wrote: "My all-time favorite book is "The Count of Monte Cristo" and although the 2002 film featured some good actors, it simply did not match up to the level of thrills and excitement I had when reading i..."

There was an old TV movie version of The Count of Monte Cristo with Richard Chamberlain in it from the 70s. It actually wasn't half bad but I'm sure now would feel a little dated. I remember as a kid really loving it.

message 14: by Mallory (new)

Mallory | 44 comments Arlene, I do believe I saw that version once on TCM or some channel like that. Thanks for mentioning it though!

message 15: by Alli (new)

Alli (allicatbooks) | 6 comments This is a bit of an obscure example but the worst one I can think of was when Disney channel made a movie version of Avalon High by Meg Cabot. Although not exactly a deep read, I had really enjoyed the book and the movie version changed the ending entirely. It wasn't even remotely the same. They tried to make this great surprise ending but instead it ended up as a needless cliche to anyone who had read the book.

message 16: by Michele (new)

Michele Sicotte | 12 comments I have to agree that the Golden Compass movie did not do justice to the book. The world that Pullman created is so wonderful and evocative...the movie did not have the same feeling.

message 17: by Krystel (new)

Krystel | 7 comments I've been really disappointed with all of the Hollywood movies based on Dr. Seuss books - obviously, they have to add a lot of filler to make a picture book into a 2 hour movie. The Lorax was bad enough to inspire a snarky facebook status.

I actually liked the Golden Compass a lot, although I was upset that they glossed over some of the more upsetting parts (ironically!), like the fate of the boy who'd had his daemon cut away and what it really meant for Lyra to be bringing her father exactly what he needed at the end. Cutting out the darkness that was in the book lessened the impact, I thought.

message 18: by Margarete (new)

Margarete Lory (mlory) | 2 comments Kris wrote: "A movie I refused to see as I love the books and main character was Jack Reacher with Tom Cruise. Hard to imagine 5'7" Tom playing 6'5" Jack. I love the Orson Welles version of Jane Eyre best of a..."
I could not watch Tom Cruise play Jack Reacher-the disconnect was too great. The Help, however, was one of the few good movie renditions I have seen.

message 19: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 4 comments I was amazed at how different the Silver Linings Playbook book and movie were. The movie used the main characters and the fact that he had been in a mental institution, but little else of the book plot remained. I'm not sure which I liked better, since I wasn't really crazy about either one.

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary Sadaka | 4 comments I have to say that one of the biggest disappointments for me was the Stephanie Plum movie, One for the Money. I have enjoyed all of the books in the series and was so looking forward to the movie. What a disappointment! The casting was all wrong. Neither Morrelli nor Ranger looked the way I pictured them as handsome, virile men. Poor Lula (one of my favorite characters) was barely in it and she wasn't the least bit funny. And don't get me started on Grandma Mazer!

message 21: by Claire (new)

Claire Cherry | 2 comments War Horse, man I loved that book. I listed to it on the way down to the beach one summer and could not wait to get back in the car to come home just so I could finish it. The movie was okay but nothing like the book, which to me was just fascinating. I cant say the movie didnt do it justice, it was just nothing compared to the book. And you know what they say: Never judge a book by its movie!

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 3 comments Two movies I've refused to watch are Pay It Forward (Catherine Ryan Hyde) and The Bone Collector (Jeffrey Deaver) because I loved the books so much. The casting decisions seemed to imply that they'd made some character changes that I'd felt were intrinsic to the book's message, and I couldn't bear to see if that was true. Plus, it just bugs me when they cast a brunette when the book character was a redhead ... (laugh!) Has anyone watched either of these movies?

message 23: by Barb (new)

Barb Lease | 2 comments I am not a movie person and usually do not watch the movie after reading the book. However, I did watch The Help and think they did justice to the book.

message 24: by Joy (new)

Joy | 2 comments The movie Ella Enchanted came out a while ago, but they really didn't follow the book. In the movie Ella Enchanted everything is modernized. For instance Ella goes to a community college, and they have a mall. In the book Ella goes to a finishing school, and there is only a market. The movie also left added some things like when Ella breaks the curse she breaks by not murdering Char. However, in the book Ella breaks the curse by refusing to marry Char. In the end, the movie did not do the book justice.

message 25: by Ghislaine (new)

Ghislaine | 2 comments I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and when the Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban movie came out I was so excited since that was my favorite book of the series at that time. However, the movie was extremely disappointing and in fact is my least favorite of the entire movie series. They left out so much of the back story about the friendships between Harry's parents and the others that I had to spend the rest of the evening explaining the story to my husband.

message 26: by Megan (last edited Nov 03, 2013 06:21PM) (new)

Megan | 2 comments Mary wrote: "I have to say that one of the biggest disappointments for me was the Stephanie Plum movie, One for the Money. I have enjoyed all of the books in the series and was so looking forward to the movie. ..."

I agree with you, Mary. It's a shame they didn't do a better job as they could have made many more based on all of the sequels. I didn't like the casting of Katherine Heigl as Stephanie Plum either. She didn't look how she was described in the book and didn't have the spunk of the character.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.