52 weeks, 52 books discussion

The Husband's Secret
This topic is about The Husband's Secret
Week 35: The Husband's Secret

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Catherine McKenzie | 985 comments Mod
Hi all:

This week we'll be reading The Husband's Secret which you can check out here: http://amzn.to/1datt2o - looks intriguing.

Also, wanted to remind you to please vote in our poll for your favorite book so far - the aim is to get down to a top 5 by the end of the year: http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/87...

The current top 5 are:

1. The Fault in Our Stars (check it out here: http://amzn.to/188n3te (only $3.99 as an e-book right now))

2. And the Mountains Echoed (check it out here: http://amzn.to/11mfsDI)

3. Gone Girl (check it out here: http://amzn.to/15goKt9)

4. The Banks of Certain Rivers (check it out here: http://amzn.to/Zeql9x (only $5.99 as an e-book right now)); and

5. Divergent (check it out here: http://amzn.to/12vU0Bo (only $3.99 as an e-book right now and $6 as a paperback)

Melissa (chicklitcentral) | 49 comments Read it a while back. So intense! http://www.chicklitcentral.com/2013/0...

Michelle Lynne (babyblueforty5) Awesome book! The Husband's Secret. 4.5 stars from me!! Everyone must read it!!

Jamise (spinesvines) Price drop today at Amazon Kindle! "The Husband's Secret" by Liane Moriarty is $6.50!

Martina (tinatar26) I have pre-ordered on Amazon not for sale yet in UK. looks like a real good read!

Nicola | 6 comments This has been delivered to my kindle this morning. Just going to finish the book I'm currently reading then I'll get on to it.

message 7: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth | 145 comments I started reading it this morning so am only 11% of the way in according to my Kindle but at this point I have to say "really?". In Yiddish, this is what is referred to as "drek". It is like watching an afternoon soap opera. Hope it gets better!

Lesley Beth wrote: "I started reading it this morning so am only 11% of the way in according to my Kindle but at this point I have to say "really?". In Yiddish, this is what is referred to as "drek". It is like watc..."

yes hope so-let me know! I put it on hold at library but the hype must make it popular because I am number 24 in line. So if its an average chic-lit 3 star let me know and maybe I will stop the library hold!

Erica (rickie1974) | 45 comments I agree with Beth about it being drek. I started reading this book and it's a fast read however, the characters aren't introduced properly and it just seems that they are just a bunch of yentas (gossipers) in this book. I don't want to put it down cuz it will be 2nd book in the last month I have done this with. I am going to try and make it through.

message 10: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth | 145 comments I am about half way through at this point. I agree with Erica, part of the problem is that the characters weren't introduced properly - they were just kind of THROWN at you. There has to be a bit of a courtship - like a first date, where we get to know each other so I like you (the character) well enough to want to keep reading the book.
This book starts out like we are already in love.
Anyway - so halfway though it is getting a little more interesting - I never quit reading a book until I finish, no matter how much I can't stand it. It took me about 3 years and about 50 attempts but I eventually made it through The Corrections so this book will get finished as well!

Michelle Lynne (babyblueforty5) great book, really enjoyed it! I look forward to checking out her other novels!

Michelle wrote: "great book, really enjoyed it! I look forward to checking out her other novels!"

Interesting - people seem to be either loving or hating this book!

message 13: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth | 145 comments I just finished the book and have to say that my opinion of it improved as I continued to read and to understand the direction that the writer was headed when she began writing the book.
I would not say that this was a 5 star novel but it had some interesting twists and turns and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I'm glad that I hung in there and kept reading, it certainly improved as the story unfolded.

Nicola | 6 comments Enjoyed this book as it went on to see where the plot twists were going to come in.. I felt the relationships between the characters could have been more and we could have been introduced to them in a way which would have made us more involved with them. However, I liked the story. The Epilogue was also one of my favourite parts of this book.

Erica (rickie1974) | 45 comments i finished it...and have to say if you can make it through the first half it will be a fast easy read from there. i actually could not put it down. i loved the epilogue and somewhere deep down was hoping for a 2nd book to this going into more details of their lives after it all....dont want to give too much away....

message 16: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth | 145 comments Joan wrote: "Doesn't anybody read the back cover before starting the book ? Or check out the editor's review? The book is making perfect sense to me."

Nope. I read books just like I go to see (most) movies - I seldom know anything about the story. I think it is better that way - if I already know the story, why bother reading (or seeing) it?

Even if I had read a review, would I have been "introduced" to the characters before I read the book?
In my opinion, it is the author's job to introduce me to his/her characters at the beginning of the book, not the editor's.

Erica (rickie1974) | 45 comments Beth took the words right off my keyboard. With an ereader I dont have backs to my books. As well I get what I want read mostly from gr. If I read more than a few lines of what the book was about as Beth said there would be no reason to read the book too many spoilers in comments and synopsis. And Joan thinking what you wrote was a little hmmmm... rough to say the least. Everyone has different styles of picking books so maybe you should ask that question next time. And as well neither Beth or I gave this book a bad rating or review. And Beth was right it is up to the author to let us know what is going on. just like a movie or a play.

Erica (rickie1974) | 45 comments keep wondering....cuz i bet you wont guess

Lynne | 6 comments Loved, loved, loved this book as well as "What Alice forgot" and "The
Hypnotist's Love Story". Terrific author. Can't wait for her next book !

Amanda | 10 comments Thought this book was just ok. The second half of the book was easier to read than the first half. I wanted to know what was in the later and I think the author may have dragged that out a little longer than it should have. I also think that Tess could have been left ouf the book and the story would have been fine. It seems her only roll in the main story line was to show the Conner wansn't a monster?

Amanda wrote: "Thought this book was just ok. The second half of the book was easier to read than the first half. I wanted to know what was in the later and I think the author may have dragged that out a little l..."

Interesting point, Amanda.

Rebecca (purplerrr) | 76 comments Thought this would have made a good airplane book. It was ok but forgettable. I bet I'll pick it up in a couple of years and start reading it and think, "This sounds familiar. Did I read this before?" Memorable only because it was the first book I finished reading on my Kindle.

Daphne (daphne2163) Loved this book! I couldn't read it fast enough and was actually yelling out loud as I read the last 40 or so pages. The plot twists were emotion-packed and really made me think about what I would do in similar circumstances. The three main characters were interesting and I really enjoyed how their stories twined together. A perfect story for a movie and I can't wait to see it.

Jamise (spinesvines) It took a moment for the story to grab hold but once the secret was revealed I couldn't stop turning the pages. The author does a decent job intertwining three separate families lives into one. I enjoyed the six degrees of separation element. I really loved the epilogue, what an interesting twist!

4 stars

Debra Hale-Shelton (debbye) I enjoyed this novel, though I felt it could have moved faster. The ending seemed over the top with all the what if's but also intrigued me in an odd way. Overall, though, it was a good read, and I would recommend it to others.

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 65 comments I'm reading The Husband's Secret right now and finding it quite compelling.

alisonwonderland (Alison) | 65 comments I ended up liking this one quite a bit. The ending - especially the epilogue - was perfect!

Arlene Morrell | 103 comments I did enjoy this book. I finally got this one from the library it was worth the wait.

Colleen | 13 comments I'm reading this now and can't wait to see where it goes.

Irina Rs | 0 comments I r

Sandra | 86 comments I remember really liking this book. The secret was a total shock to me!

Irina Rs | 0 comments I enjoyed the book. Very intriguing twist in the plot. The loss of a child is a sensitive topic, the desperation, anger and longing for the lost child were very touching.

Erica (rickie1974) | 45 comments Lynne, I just started What Alice Forgot.

message 34: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth | 145 comments Interesting to me to read the comments about this book - they are really all over the place! I know a lot of people loved this book and I just didn't get the appeal and as a result, took all of the author's other books off of my TBR. I'm curious to hear what you think of What Alice Forgot, Erica.

Beth wrote: "Interesting to me to read the comments about this book - they are really all over the place! I know a lot of people loved this book and I just didn't get the appeal and as a result, took all of th..."

I read What Alice Forgot - I liked it but thought this book was better.

Sandra | 86 comments I haven't read What Alice Forgot but I did just read her newest, Big Little Lies and it was very good.

Erica (rickie1974) | 45 comments So far I really like it. It captivated me from Chapter 1. The writing is so far better than the Husband's secret. It is almost a mystery because along with Alice you are trying to figure out what happened.

Erica (rickie1974) | 45 comments Oh and Beth the characters are introduced a little better just a little not much better but better.

Erica (rickie1974) | 45 comments Sandra wrote: "I haven't read What Alice Forgot but I did just read her newest, Big Little Lies and it was very good."

I am reading it now and really liking it alot!