Women's Fiction authors discussion

Share how Writers use Goodreads

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) I started this link based on comments on the Women's Fiction Author's Introduce yourself link.
A number of us seem to be struggling to learn the best way to use Goodreads as writers.
Are you willing to support each other and share your best ideas here?

message 2: by Natalia (new)

Natalia Sylvester (nataliasylvester) I'm fairly new to using Goodreads as an author, so I'd be very interested to read others' suggestions. Thanks for starting this thread, Carol!

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Hinske | 5 comments Absolutley! Great idea. I'm farily new here and don't have Goodreads figured out.

message 4: by Dale (last edited Aug 25, 2013 02:52PM) (new)

Dale Harcombe | 54 comments I'm an author and reader. I post reviews of whatever I'm reading. Not sure how to go about promoting my book Streets on a Map: Journey Through Changes though so any suggestions welcomed. Looking forward to hearing others ideas. Thanks for the thread Carol

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelleabbott) | 2 comments My suggestions would be to start a blog on your author page or add your RSS feed if you have a blog elsewhere. Add quotes from your books, add a trailer & perhaps try a goodreads giveaway if your book is available in paperback.

message 6: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Deluca (darlenedeluca) | 23 comments I try to stay active on Goodreads to have a presence among readers. As a reader, I like to see what people are reading, and I do a few reviews. As an author, I really want to connect with readers.
I've joined many groups, and currently have a giveaway going for my newest novel. You have to be careful how you use Goodreads. Many groups do not want to hear from authors and ban any kind of self promotion from their loops. You don't want to alienate potential readers!
I've enjoyed meeting other authors on Goodreads, but the best thing is that I've found objective readers to read and review my novels.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Darlene wrote: "I try to stay active on Goodreads to have a presence among readers. As a reader, I like to see what people are reading, and I do a few reviews. As an author, I really want to connect with readers.
..."

Hi Darlene, I've joined a few groups but don't see a lot of activity. Are there specific groups you find really involved and engaging. I've joined a few discussions on books I enjoyed but the discussions don't seem to go very far. Can you talk more about how you've found objective readers to review your novels while walking that line of banned book promotion? thanks carol

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Michelle wrote: "My suggestions would be to start a blog on your author page or add your RSS feed if you have a blog elsewhere. Add quotes from your books, add a trailer & perhaps try a Goodreads giveaway if your b..."

Hi Michele, I have my blog www.4broadminds.blogspot.com/ linked to my Goodreads author page. What's a mystery to me is how anyone finds it or any of our author pages.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelleabbott) | 2 comments Honestly, I think the best way to 'market' on goodreads, is simply to make as many connections as possible. I've found other authors to be a huge help in cross promoting. Look for opportunities for author interviews, most groups have someone offering them. Make friends, get to know as many people as possible, just don't ram your book down their throat.

message 10: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Holloway | 6 comments Good advice, Michelle!

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Michelle wrote: "Honestly, I think the best way to 'market' on goodreads, is simply to make as many connections as possible. I've found other authors to be a huge help in cross promoting. Look for opportunities for..."

Michele, are there specific groups you recommend to engage with women's lit writers and readers?

message 12: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Deluca (darlenedeluca) | 23 comments Connecting with other authors on Goodreads has been helpful. I've exchanged facebook page likes, and blog tours. I've also benefited from some of the loops like this where authors share marketing tips that have worked for them. Some of the groups I belong to are Women's Fiction,Happily Ever After Cafe, Indie Book Collective, The Constant Reader, The Casual Reader. I got reviewers from the Making Connections group. You just have to spend a little time browsing the groups and their individual discussion threads. Hope that helps!

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Darlene wrote: "Connecting with other authors on Goodreads has been helpful. I've exchanged facebook page likes, and blog tours. I've also benefited from some of the loops like this where authors share marketing t..."

Darlene, that is really helpful. I'll spend some time browsing the groups you recommend.

message 14: by Quanie (last edited Aug 27, 2013 01:22PM) (new)

Quanie (quaniemiller) | 12 comments Hi Everyone, here's an article that might be useful.

It's called 5 Things Every Author Needs to Do to Improve Discoverability on Goodreads.

http://authordiscovery.com/2013/08/10...

I hope it's helpful!

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Quanie, this is one of the most helpful articles and links I've seen about Goodreads. Thank you so much for sharing. Carol

message 16: by Quanie (new)

Quanie (quaniemiller) | 12 comments You're welcome, Carol!

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Hinske | 5 comments Very helpful article, Quanie. Thank you!! Your page looks great, too!

message 18: by Quanie (new)

Quanie (quaniemiller) | 12 comments Thanks, Barbara!

message 19: by Natalia (new)

Natalia Sylvester (nataliasylvester) Quanie wrote: "Hi Everyone, here's an article that might be useful.

It's called 5 Things Every Author Needs to Do to Improve Discoverability on Goodreads.

http://authordiscovery.com/2013/08/10...-..."

Wow, what a great article, Quanie. Thanks so much for sharing!

message 20: by Quanie (new)

Quanie (quaniemiller) | 12 comments Glad you found it helpful, Natalia!

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Hinske | 5 comments Here's a link to another great article on how authors can use Goodreads. If you're not familiar with Author Marketing Experts, their blog always contains helpful, encouraging information about marketing. http://bit.ly/15lAoDL

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Barbara wrote: "Here's a link to another great article on how authors can use Goodreads. If you're not familiar with Author Marketing Experts, their blog always contains helpful, encouraging information about mar..."

Hi Barb, not sure why but I got a security warning when I tried to follow the link ?? carol

message 23: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Hinske | 5 comments OMG -- I shortened it at bitly. It's legit! You can check them out at their website -- Author Marketing Experts. Yikes! I'm just getting started on Goodreads and don't want anyone to think I'm posting dangerous stuff!

message 24: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 54 comments Quanie wrote: "Hi Everyone, here's an article that might be useful.

http://authordiscovery.com/2013/08/10...-..."

Thank you Quanie. Very helpful.

message 25: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) good morning all, I just approved my interior proof and cover for my upcoming novel, CAPE MAYBE.
does this stuff tie anyone else up in knots? carol

message 26: by Michele (new)

Michele | 6 comments Quainie--that is an outstanding link. Thanks so much for sharing!