Divergent (Divergent, #1) Divergent discussion

Who do you think should've died instead of Will?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Exlibris_keagan If you didn't think Will should've died in the simulation attack, then who would you think take his place?

Eshana Drew

Or really anyone else will was my favourite charecter

message 3: by Wayan (last edited Aug 23, 2013 08:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wayan um drew or molly would have been great
but i geuss it wouldn't have made it as interesting but lets be grateful
these people didn't die
four
uriah
:p

Leah reick Wayan wrote: "um drew or molly would have been great
these people didn't die
four
uriah
:p"

lol true :)

N-mila Peter Of course

message 6: by Raevyn (new)

Raevyn "Lucia" [I'm in it for the books] That girl with the shaved head (Wasn't her name Lynne?). I just didn't like her...

Lani Wayan wrote: "um drew or molly would have been great
these people didn't die
four
uriah

I agree with you.

Aisha Lynn

Ramisha Eshana wrote: "Drew

Or really anyone else will was my favourite charecter"

Yeah man, I thought I was the only one hwo felt this way. Will was awesome and sweet. Wish he didn't die.

Ramisha Anaya wrote: "Wayan wrote: "um drew or molly would have been great
these people didn't die
four
uriah

I agree with you."

Haha yeah.. Agreed\

Ramisha Anaya wrote: "Wayan wrote: "um drew or molly would have been great
these people didn't die
four
uriah

I agree with you."

Haha yeah.. Agreed\

message 12: by Som (new) - rated it 4 stars

Som Tobias

message 13: by ۪H۫۰۪a۫۰۪l۫۰۪e۫۰۪y۫۰ (last edited Aug 24, 2013 12:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

۪H۫۰۪a۫۰۪l۫۰۪e۫۰۪y۫۰ Drew, Molly, Christina, Marcus.

N-mila Som wrote: "Tobias"

if he died there would be no 2nd and 3rd book, and the story will be really annoying

message 15: by Som (new) - rated it 4 stars

Som ^^There would be different 2d and 3rd books; more dark and grim. Think it'd be more creative than annoying...but they always have to follow the cliche, generic code...

message 16: by kirstin ✿ (last edited Aug 25, 2013 02:11AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

kirstin ✿ Nmila wrote: "if he died there would be no 2nd and 3rd book, and the story will be really annoying"

Unless you're only reading the books because of the romance and not for the underlying message they imply (if there are any), --which I think you really are, by the way-- then I bet a sequel without Tobias would suck. For you.

For me it'd have been more interesting... and less annoying; Tobias and Tris's relationship just irks me.

I know Tris "loved" him and that if he died, it could affect her in so many ways. However, I do think that the plot could progress without him. He's only ever there whenever he's with Tris. When he's not I couldn't even feel his presence; it's as if he didn't exist at all. He's not like some of those male protagonists that even if they're not physically with the heroine, you could still feel them through the way the heroine thinks of them, or the things they contribute for the plot to move.

In a way Tobias is somewhat a cardboard cut-out. IMO. The books don't need him at all.

So, yes. I would be more than happy if Tobias died instead. But just like what Som said, Roth have always had to follow the cliche, generic code... just for the sake of romance.

*sighs*

And for those who read books solely --or at least more-- for the romance, you all should learn that it's not what all there is. Not that I'm saying Divergent is something just full of romance, though.

message 17: by Som (new) - rated it 4 stars

Som ^^Exactly!! very well explained.. (:

They should have picked up the strategy of eliminating Tobias since the time he appeared in Tris' fear landscape. Expected more complexity from that, not just some glittery love, kiss and cuddle closure. It picked up the darkness since the Dauntless initiations tests, then faded pretty quickly and it was all bland afterwards. The last few chapters just vexed me, was expecting more twists and turn instead of 'wrap up rush'. Think the 3rd stage of elimination 'ideally' got the best potential to do those...Probably a rear view of Limbo! Where Tris gets 4 Fears, with Tobias' death being one as it happened (Still 'love' right?!)...Then her 'divergence' would have had allowed her to avenge her fear (or not)...something like that..

Sadly, the only 'surprising' twist for me was the initial faction choosing ceremony. Tobias as Four was predictable since they mentioned about it while talking about Marcus, kinda out of the blue. Parents' death was rushed so was Will's. Tris seemed pretty happy afterwards and kept on kissing!
Gave it a 4 star though; thought it was a nice plot for a YA series, definitely a page turner for me. Never read much YA so are those YA novels usually aren't 'that' grim (or are they..?!)...
Looking forward to read Insurgent though.

kirstin ✿ I agree, the ending kinda felt as though it were rushed. About Four's identity, I'd been spoiled long ago before I got the chance to read Divergent.

It's an unpopular opinion, but I liked Insurgent more than the first one. Even though Tris was just really annoying in that one, and that Four turned into a douchebag, I was more hooked to its plot than Divergent's.

There are pretty grim YA novels; you just have to know where to find them. Angefall by Susan Ee has a theme that's very dark and disturbing. Creepy. Grim. I suggest you give it a try if you're looking for those kinds ^o^ It's a good book with un-cliched plot twists.

message 19: by Som (new) - rated it 4 stars

Som Sounds like Insurgent will be exciting!

((Angelfall looks goood! Thanks for the rec. (:

Added to tbr list, just above Legend by Marie Lu.))

kirstin ✿ You're welcome! And oh, Legend is a good book as well. Hope you enjoy them ;)

Katie Definitely not Four!!Maybe Lynn or Peter?

kirstin ✿ No, not Peter. Tris would have died if he did.

Courtney Davis ◄KɪʀsᴛɪN► wrote: "No, not Peter. Tris would have died if he did."

thats true I think Molly should've died

versa Som wrote: "Sounds like Insurgent will be exciting!

((Angelfall looks goood! Thanks for the rec. (:

Added to tbr list, just above Legend by Marie Lu.))"

ANGELFALL IS AMAZIIINNNNGGGG!!!!!!!! And The 5th Wave if you like Science Fic. I, personally, love both of these books.

I think they needed Will to die for character development (even though it was mostly traitorous/angry looks shot from Christina and her sister to Tris and Tris not telling anyone until she was given the truth syrum. Her brother (traitor).