For Books' Sake discussion

What are you reading right now?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

For Books' Sake (forbookssake) | 13 comments Mod
The title's fairly explanatory - what are you reading right now? Are you enjoying it?

message 2: by Nirmeen (new)

Nirmeen Diaa el-deen | 1 comments The Alchemist

message 3: by Nina (new)

Nina de la Mer | 1 comments I'm reading The Lottery, short stories by Shirley Jackson. I've been trying to write my own first short story but after reading these I fear I may as well give up: they're masterful. Highly recommend the collection.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Davies | 2 comments Fairytales for Wilde Girls by Allyse Near -- it's a piece of bubblegum goth YA confectionary that my mum bought me back from Australia. So far it's pretty good!

Family Likeness by Caitlin Davies. I got it from a Goodreads First Reads competition and I'm reviewing it for my blog, but I'm finding it a bit difficult to get into.

The Descent of Woman The Classic Study of Evolution by Elaine Morgan. It's a nowhere near perfect theory, but it provides a much needed alternative to looking at human evolution purely through a male lens!

Ain't I a Woman by bell hooks.

And I just started re-reading the Winnie the Pooh books by A.A. Milne last night, after searching for a quote. They are SO FUNNY! I had no idea!!

message 5: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 1 comments The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter - can't believe I hadn't read it before now!

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Holzhausen | 1 comments The Spiral House by Claire Robertson. I needed some time to get into the two seperate stories, which unfold in two different eras of South African history, 1794 and 1961. But I really like it and have absolutely no idea how it may end.

message 7: by Natasha (new)

Natasha den Dekker (dendekkerns) | 3 comments I just finished Tuesdays with Morrie, and Kavalier and Clay is on the back burner. With a holiday coming up, I'm not sure what to read this week! :D :D

message 8: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 2 comments World Without End by Ken Follett. Freebie I booked up from a Book Crossing point in Leeds. I'm enjoying it but not as much as The Pillars of the Earth. I felt the same about the TV series though so that's no surprise!

I've also been rereading Tamora Pierce's Immortals series. I just moved house and found all my favourite kids/YA books so I'll be doing a lot of rereading!

message 9: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie Lowe | 1 comments Thanks for the invite.

Fingersmith by Sarah Waters.

I am enjoying it but the author goes into such minute detail and my mind is screaming 'Just get on with the story!' I can't do with loads of unnecessary description and I've skipped chunks; personally I like some things left for the reader's own imagination. She is a good writer, I've also read The Little Stranger of hers, and she is an acclaimed author but I don't think she's any better than lots of indie authors I've read and are unrecognized because they haven't got the backing of a large publishing house.

message 10: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 2 comments Picked up not booked up!

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyjoa) | 3 comments I'm reading Delirium by Lauren Oliver, a futuristic novel where Love is a disease that needs curing. An interesting concept!

message 12: by Stujallen (new)

Stujallen allen | 2 comments The mirror of beauty by Shamsur Rahman Faruqi a epic novel translated from Urdu set in turn of century India

message 13: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 30, 2013 08:08PM) (new)

Elizabeth (persephone17) I'm currently reading Endangered by Eliot Schrefer. Even though it's fiction, it feels like it's a true story. Highly recommend if you love action/thriller books, and also learning about different ape species. The female protagonist, Sophie, is also an excellent example of a strong, independent young girl who is able to keep herself alive in a time of great peril.

message 14: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Howlin (elainehowlinbooks) Ashes of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #6) by Lara Adrian Ashes of Midnight by Lara Adrian. Book 6 in the series really enjoying it

message 15: by JudithAnn (new)

JudithAnn | 3 comments Yes, I read Swimming Home.

I thought the house guest, Kitty was awful. It did take away some of my enjoyment of the novel. If I remember well, I thought the writing was very good.

message 16: by JudithAnn (new)

JudithAnn | 3 comments On my to-rad pile are 4 books by men. I noticed it this morning and it surprised me. But still, first off is Goat Mountain by David Vann, a writer I really enjoy.

message 17: by Mark (new)

Mark (rattle_bag) | 1 comments Finally reading Wolf Hall. It its an absolute dream. Already worrying about the wait for the third book!

message 18: by Thom (new)

Thom (workshy_fop) | 1 comments I've just started reading The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton. The style is excellent, the size is daunting

message 19: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (diankom) I'm almost finished with American Gods by Neil Gaiman. Really fun ideas and amazing characters.

message 20: by S.W. (new)

S.W. Hubbard | 3 comments Nina wrote: "I'm reading The Lottery, short stories by Shirley Jackson. I've been trying to write my own first short story but after reading these I fear I may as well give up: they're masterful. Highly recomme..."

You shouldn't be deterred by reading the work of great authors. Be inspired! I'm sure Shirley's very first story was not as good as "The Lottery."

message 21: by S.W. (new)

S.W. Hubbard | 3 comments I just started Flight Behavior. I've been meaning to read this for a while.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments I've just finished Midwinter of the Spirit by Phil Rickman and am starting the next in the series. I picked up the fourth book in the Merrily Watkins (Herefordshire parish priest and diocesan exorcist!) series as a freebie/hand-me-down years ago but have only just got around to reading the rest of the series now.

message 23: by Anne Marte (new)

Anne Marte | 1 comments I'm reading Pure by Julianna Baggott. It's a dystopian YA novel. Parts of it remind me of "The Handmaid's Tale".

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished What a Carve Up!! Is anyone reading Expo 58?

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (beckfoster) | 4 comments Ellie wrote: "Just finished What a Carve Up!! Is anyone reading Expo 58?"

I loved Expo 58! (I reviewed it here: http://www.welovethisbook.com/reviews...)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Ta Rebecca!

message 27: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimlovesstuff) | 1 comments I just finished Lauren Graham's first novel, enjoyed it but felt a bit guilty about just how chick lit it turned out to be.

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura Wilkinson (scorpioscribble) | 2 comments About to dive into Instructions for a Heatwave, and can't wait because I've loved all of Maggie O'Farrell's so far.

message 29: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (beckfoster) | 4 comments L.C. wrote: "About to dive into Instructions for a Heatwave, and can't wait because I've loved all of Maggie O'Farrell's so far."

It's a great one! I didn't like it quite as much as
The Hand That First Held Mine but O'Farrell is still fantastic.

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura Wilkinson (scorpioscribble) | 2 comments Rebecca wrote: "L.C. wrote: "About to dive into Instructions for a Heatwave, and can't wait because I've loved all of Maggie O'Farrell's so far."

It's a great one! I didn't like it quite as much as
The Hand That..."

Ah, that one -HTFHM - was amazing!

message 31: by Kay (new)

Kay (kayworld1) the reader by bernard schlink then i am reading war horse

message 32: by Diane (new)

Diane (diane70) I'm reading Life After Life by Kate Atkinson. I've no doubt it's well written and very clever but I'm not really enjoying it. I'll plough on a bit more as I hate to give up on a book, just in case ...

message 33: by Kirstyn (new)

Kirstyn Smith | 1 comments Nina wrote: "I'm reading The Lottery, short stories by Shirley Jackson. I've been trying to write my own first short story but after reading these I fear I may as well give up: they're masterful. Highly recomme..."

I love The Lottery! It inspired me to start writing my own short stories, but, as you say, it's difficult when faced with the masters.

message 34: by Lara (last edited Oct 25, 2014 03:20AM) (new)

Lara Baisouni (goodreadscomlarabaisouni) | 1 comments I'm reading The Forty Rules of Love and hating it! does anyone else here thinks that this book is a waste of time?
I really lack the reason for its popularity nowadays.It is more of a childish story .. did NOT affect me in any way.Every detail was so stupid to me ( especially the rules themselves)!
What about you guys ?