The Reader's Bar discussion

Frozen Time
This topic is about Frozen Time
Open for Discussion > September Book Discussion-Frozen Time

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Denise | 1410 comments Mod
Feel free to post your thoughts and comments about this book below. Happy Reading!

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Wow, when was this book chosen? I've been looking for the next possible listing to choose from. How does this work?

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Whose the author?

message 4: by Lindor (new)

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments Hi there Lethea and group members. I'm the author of September's pick. Hopefully I didn't step on anyone's toes. :o/ I can send reading discussion questions now or later and I know that we were chatting about having a live video chat via "oovoo" also in case you ladies are still interested in that. I can set everything up for any Saturday or Sunday this month.

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Lindor wrote: "Hi there Lethea and group members. I'm the author of September's pick. Hopefully I didn't step on anyone's toes. :o/ I can send reading discussion questions now or later and I know that we were..."

You know once I saw the book, I remember you mentioning this a while back. I say let's go for it. I already have my book on Kindle and about to start reading it....LOL!

message 6: by Lindor (new)

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments yayy I'm excited! Keep me posted on where you ladies are and your thoughts as you go along. Looking forward to chatting with everyone shortly. I guess I can start off the discussion part this time around. haha

So what does everything think of the 3 leading characters as they're introduced: Joseph, Karen, and Tonya
Any one who you identify with or gets under your skin thus far?

I have tons more questions but I don't want to put any spoilers in there...lol

Lethea wrote: "Wow, when was this book chosen? I've been looking for the next possible listing to choose from. How does this work?"

Typically we all come up with suggestions of what we want to read and then we vote. We chose the September read when we were picking our August selection. If you have any suggestions for this month I will add them to our to read list so we do not forget them for next month. Tentatively we have selected Ernessa Carter's new book for October but that is up for discussion. lol

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Lindor wrote: "yayy I'm excited! Keep me posted on where you ladies are and your thoughts as you go along. Looking forward to chatting with everyone shortly. I guess I can start off the discussion part this ti..."

I haven't started reading it yet but when I do.....I don't think I'll be able to stop....LOL!

Lindor wrote: "Hi there Lethea and group members. I'm the author of September's pick. Hopefully I didn't step on anyone's toes. :o/ I can send reading discussion questions now or later and I know that we were..."

I am also looking forward to reading and discussing your book. I already got my copy too.

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "Wow, when was this book chosen? I've been looking for the next possible listing to choose from. How does this work?"

Typically we all come up with suggestions of what we want to r..."

I'm game. If this book is like 32 Candles, it's all good!

Lethea wrote: "Denise wrote: "Lethea wrote: "Wow, when was this book chosen? I've been looking for the next possible listing to choose from. How does this work?"

Typically we all come up with suggestions of wh..."

Great! I look forward to chatting with you.

Leslie Nicole | 53 comments just downloaded the Oovoo video chat app, I will download the book this evening.

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Didn't get any reading done on the book today. It's downloaded but I want to clear up some books so I can return them to the library.

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) I'm done....I have read Frozen Time and so I'm just waiting on you all for the discussion.

Leslie Nicole | 53 comments Soooo, Me being the anal being that I am I have it (Frozen Time)downloaded but I was waiting till Sept to read. Are we done discussing 32 Candles? I am new to the group so just let me know the proper protocol. Happy Reading

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) That's a good question....I'm sure Denise will answer that but I think that a few of us have downloaded and started the reading process. As stated earlier, I'm done....I'm just a fast reader.

Lethea wrote: "I'm done....I have read Frozen Time and so I'm just waiting on you all for the discussion."

Wow! So it was a quick read then?

Leslie wrote: "Soooo, Me being the anal being that I am I have it (Frozen Time)downloaded but I was waiting till Sept to read. Are we done discussing 32 Candles? I am new to the group so just let me know the pro..."

The discussion for 32 Candles is still open until the end of the month. As Lethea said, some people are just getting a jump start on next month's book. We will still wait until majority of the members have finished before getting into a deep discussion. That way we will not give away too many juicy details and ruin the book for someone else.

Leslie Nicole | 53 comments ok, cool. Has a date for the video chat been selected?

message 20: by Denise (last edited Aug 28, 2013 05:32AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leslie wrote: "ok, cool. Has a date for the video chat been selected?"

No, not yet. Which dates works best for everyone?

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) What video chat?

Lethea wrote: "What video chat?"

Lindor said that she would be willing to host a video chat to discuss her book on a Saturday or Sunday. Is everyone interested in participating in something like this? If so, what would be a good date for you?

Leslie Nicole | 53 comments The last 2 Saturdays of the month 9/21 or 9/28/

message 24: by Lindor (new)

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments hi ladies. if everyone would still like to have the book chat on "ooVoo" 9/21 or 9/28 work well for me also. maybe 12-3 eastern would be good (have to work around nap time over here)

I could do those dates if it is in the evening. Maybe after 7:15. I can meet at anytime on Sunday.

message 26: by Lindor (new)

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments Sundays could also work for me. Would just need to be early or mid afternoon.

Any other votes for when and if we should have the video chat?

Leslie Nicole | 53 comments I am Good on Sunday, 4th Sunday it would have to late afternoon

How about Sunday, September 15 at 2?

message 30: by Lindor (new)

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments hi ladies, i can make that work

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) I would like to do a Saturday evening. Any weekend is good for me....

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm new.. still need get book & read.. How about Sunday 22

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Sweet n sassy....do you have a kindle or nook? I can loan it to you....I think I remember how...lol

Leslie Nicole | 53 comments September 15 is good

Sweet-n-Sassy K. wrote: "I'm new.. still need get book & read.. How about Sunday 22"

Welcome to the group. I look forward to reading and discussing with you in the future.

Lethea wrote: "Sweet n sassy....do you have a kindle or nook? I can loan it to you....I think I remember how...lol"

Great idea!

What are your first impressions of Frozen Time?

What do you guys think about having the video chat on Sunday, September 15th at 2?

Mahoghani 23 (mahoghani23) Denise wrote: "What are your first impressions of Frozen Time?"

The book plot was well thought out but sometimes I got mixed up with who was narrating the story.

I think that it touches on some controversial topics and issues that many women face today.

I am finished too. How is everyone else coming along?

message 42: by Denise (last edited Sep 08, 2013 02:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lindor wrote: "yayy I'm excited! Keep me posted on where you ladies are and your thoughts as you go along. Looking forward to chatting with everyone shortly. I guess I can start off the discussion part this ti..."

I do not want to give away too many details about the characters but I liked Tonya the most by the end of the book.

Leslie Nicole | 53 comments I just started 'Frozen Time' last night, give me a couple of days please. But so far it as a strange read pattern but I shall push on.

Lindor wrote: "yayy I'm excited! Keep me posted on where you ladies are and your thoughts as you go along. Looking forward to chatting with everyone shortly. I guess I can start off the discussion part this ti..."

Lindor

Are any of the characters based on you?

message 45: by Lindor (new)

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments You know, honestly Frozen Time was started when I was a junior in high school and it kind of dragged it's way with me through early adulthood.

None of the characters were actually based on my life (although strangely enough, life imitated art in many ways after the book was published).

Some of the opinions expressed by some of the characters are things that have floated through my head over the years.

I will post some discussion questions tomorrow.

Lindor wrote: "You know, honestly Frozen Time was started when I was a junior in high school and it kind of dragged it's way with me through early adulthood.

None of the characters were actually based on my li..."

Thank you for your comments. I was just curious.

message 47: by Lindor (last edited Sep 12, 2013 10:36AM) (new)

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments Hi ladies,

So here are some discussion questions that I thought we could start things off with:

Both female characters in the story had tumultuous dating/relationship experiences. Does the idea of fairytales/fairytale endings hinder womens views and expectations of realistic relationships?

Tonya was told that Black women shouldn't believe in fairytale romances. Do you think that Black/minority women should have different expections/standards when it comes to dating?

Would you date one of your friend's "exes" if you thought that person could be "the one"?

No, I do not think that minority women should have different standards when it comes to dating. I also do not think that there is a set of relationship standards that just one group follows. I feel that they are more of a personal choice.

I would have to say that I would not date one of my friend’s exes. I could not do that to my friend.

message 49: by Lindor (new)

Lindor Joelle | 133 comments Thanks Denise. I always hear that minority women (specifically Black women) have unrealistic expectations when it comes to dating. I am not a fan of lowering standards either BUT our dating pool is so different than many other ethnic groups. I brought this question up because of the scene where Tonya was told that fairytale romances don't exist for Black women.

So how does everyone else feel? Should minority women knock a few items off of their "non negotiable" dating requirements? And are exes off limits no matter how much time has passed and even if your friend has moved on?

Any favorite or least favorite character in the story?

Lindor wrote: "Thanks Denise. I always hear that minority women (specifically Black women) have unrealistic expectations when it comes to dating. I am not a fan of lowering standards either BUT our dating pool i..."

I understand what you mean but I think that we should still keep our standards high in order not to sell ourselves short. I am not sure if that fairytale is out there for any woman but I would like to hope that we can one day get close. lol

« previous 1