Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

All Things Writing > The Most Inspirational Quote

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
The most inspirational quote you've ever read :D
Can be from an author, a song or even on a icelolly stick! If it motivates you I want to know.

Mine is actually from Stephen King:

“If you wrote something for which someone sent you a check, if you cashed the check and it didn't bounce, and if you then paid the light bill with the money, I consider you talented.

I don't know why, but I have a desperation to pay that light bill.

Whats yours? :3

message 2: by Deb (new)

Deb (soulhaven) | 103 comments Sorry, mine's really long.

From Brent Weeks:

“The truth is, everyone likes to look down on someone. If your favorites are all avant-garde writers who throw in Sanskrit and German, you can look down on everyone. If your favorites are all Oprah Book Club books, you can at least look down on mystery readers. Mystery readers have sci-fi readers. Sci-fi can look down on fantasy. And yes, fantasy readers have their own snobbishness. I’ll bet this, though: in a hundred years, people will be writing a lot more dissertations on Harry Potter than on John Updike. Look, Charles Dickens wrote popular fiction. Shakespeare wrote popular fiction—until he wrote his sonnets, desperate to show the literati of his day that he was real artist. Edgar Allan Poe tied himself in knots because no one realized he was a genius. The core of the problem is how we want to define “literature”. The Latin root simply means “letters”. Those letters are either delivered—they connect with an audience—or they don’t. For some, that audience is a few thousand college professors and some critics. For others, its twenty million women desperate for romance in their lives. Those connections happen because the books successfully communicate something real about the human experience. Sure, there are trashy books that do really well, but that’s because there are trashy facets of humanity. What people value in their books—and thus what they count as literature—really tells you more about them than it does about the book.”

message 3: by Bisky (new)

Wow that is long :3 Its still good though :3

message 4: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Castro (nicolecastro) | 116 comments “Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

message 5: by Bisky (new)

Niiiice :D

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Pearce (michaeltinkerpearce) | 91 comments "When you are going through Hell, keep going!"
Winston Churchill

message 7: by Bisky (new)

nice :3

message 8: by Carry (new)

Carry | 38 comments "Write because a story burns within you, and find yourself thinking and dreaming of it every free moment."
Christopher Paolini tweeted this.

And

"Of course it is happening inside your head but why on earth should that not mean it is not real?"
- Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

I collected beautiful and inspiring quotes in a notebook and these are the two that inspire me the most concerning writing.

message 9: by Bisky (new)

paolini love! ... Is he on goodreads? I'm gonna ask him to join this group with my cute icon :p

Good old dumbledore :3

I like the notebook idea! :D Im gonna put my tweets into a book once I can get hold of a camera again to take a picture of my hat for the cover :p

message 10: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 187 comments It was just-in with the daily quotes
“No book can be appreciated until it has been slept with and dreamed over.”
— Eugene Field

message 11: by David (new)

David (darev) This one's from Rod Serling.

"Every writer is a frustrated actor who recites his lines in the hidden auditorium of his soul."

I also have a collection of quotes from video games, books, movies, tv series, politics, etc. You know something, combined, my quotes amassed to a full-fledged novel.

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Castro (nicolecastro) | 116 comments "Write because a story burns within you, and find yourself thinking and dreaming of it every free moment."
Christopher Paolini tweeted this.

@Carry - this one is so true. It's annoying.

message 13: by Bisky (new)

lovely, I do love abit of plath!

message 14: by Topaz (new)

Topaz Winters (topazwinters) Ooh, I LOVE quotes. A couple of my faves:

Oscar Wilde: “Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.”

A. A. Milne: “’We’ll be friends forever, won’t we, Pooh?’ asked Piglet.
‘Even longer,’ Pooh answered.”

Stephen Chbosky: “Right now, these moments are not stories. This is happening … I can see it. This one moment when you know you’re not a sad story. You are alive. And you stand up and see the lights on the buildings and everything that makes you wonder. And you’re listening to that song, and that drive with the people who you love most in this world. And in this moment, I swear, we are infinite.”