Better Than Starbucks discussion

Shameless Self Promotion > Shameless Self Promotion

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

Anthony Watkins (anthonyuplandpoetwatkins) | 495 comments Mod
Not sure how I started us out with a thread and then it became a section. I am moving it here so they will all be together.

Welcome! Now Introduce Yourself! > Shameless Self Promotion (edit)

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) post a comment »
dateDown_arrow newest »

message 1: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee
Apr 11, 2013 12:18am

Anthony Watkins (AnthonyUplandpoetWatkins) | 261 comments If you are a writer, or any other sort of creative person, or if you offer services to writers and creative people, please talk about it here. Self Promotion elsewhere is strictly prohibited, as the site is a non commercial social gathering place to talk about books, bugs, the weather, politics (carefully) religion (even more carefully) or whatever, but not to hawk your books and services.

Here however, such self promotion is not only allowed, but encouraged.

Self Promotion topics elsewhere at BTS will be immediately deleted, so please use this topic!

reply | edit | delete | flag *

message 2: by Marc
Apr 16, 2013 06:08am

Marc (monkeelino) | 39 comments I'm not really interested in selling you anything, but I'm always happy to connect with others and share work (I'm horrible at this last part).

WRITING
- textualmadness blog: short fictional sketches/rantings/etc.
- A Bookish Demise: a blog about the reading life

DESIGN/ART/PHOTOGRAPHY
- Tumblr Blog: recent visual ideas/work/musings
- deviantART Gallery: digital gallery/sketchbook of sorts

I post about books/writing/art/design/infographics on Twitter and Pinterest.

reply | delete | flag *

message 3: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee
Apr 16, 2013 07:57am

Anthony Watkins (AnthonyUplandpoetWatkins) | 261 comments Thanks!!!!

message 4: by Ruth
May 04, 2013 10:07am

Ruth Bavetta | 38 comments Because I do both poetry and art, I guess it's a natural that I also make visual poetry. Here's a link to some that were published in Rattle's Visual Poetry issue a few years ago.

I work on the pages of old books, carving poems from the text I find there and then illuminating them.

I sell the individual artworks direct from my studio. If you're interested, send me a Goodreads message.

http://www.rattle.com/poetry/?s=Bavetta

And one more example

reply | delete | flag *

message 5: by Seamus
May 10, 2013 06:47pm

Seamus Duggan (SeamusDuggan) | 19 comments I blog at http://theknockingshop.blogspot.com/. It was almost all books until I started blogging about my favourite albums and that has taken over recently but I will be returning to my focus on books soon. I don't feel I've finished reading until I've written a blog post now. It forces me to come to some kind of conclusion about the book, or inspires me to go way off piste.

reply | delete | flag *

message 6: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee
May 11, 2013 05:39am

Anthony Watkins (AnthonyUplandpoetWatkins) | 261 comments Ruth wrote: "Because I do both poetry and art, I guess it's a natural that I also make visual poetry. Here's a link to some that were published in Rattle's Visual Poetry issue a few years ago.

I work on the pa..."

I like it! do you use the actual old texts or copies?
and is the painting yours? or is found art, too? either way, love this piece, will try to get over to look at others!

message 7: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee
May 11, 2013 05:40am

Anthony Watkins (AnthonyUplandpoetWatkins) | 261 comments Seamus wrote: "I blog at http://theknockingshop.blogspot.com/. It was almost all books until I started blogging about my favourite albums and that has taken over recently but I will be returning to my focus on bo..."

my wife says i need to start blogging. i suppose if i compiled all my random thoughts into one thread it would be a blog, but not near as entertaining or as useful as yours!

message 8: by Ruth
May 11, 2013 06:46am

Ruth Bavetta | 38 comments Anthony wrote: "Ruth wrote: "Because I do both poetry and art, I guess it's a natural that I also make visual poetry. Here's a link to some that were published in Rattle's Visual Poetry issue a few years ago.

I w..."

Thanks, Anthony. I started out by working on the actual book page, but old books are printed on really crappy paper. Hard to work on. And it's usually acidic so exposed to light it yellows and crumbles like a newspaper left too long in the driveway.

So, I got myself a very good printer that uses archival inks. I scan the book page and then print it onto good watercolor paper. No, this painting isn't mine, it's a Leonardo. In fact, it's really not typical for me to use a painting like that.

reply | delete | flag *

message 9: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee
May 11, 2013 06:49am

Anthony Watkins (AnthonyUplandpoetWatkins) | 261 comments will take a look, i thought it looked classic, but i am a bit on the ignorant side of art that isnt either local florida, or starry starry night/mona lisa famous....

message 10: by Marc
May 11, 2013 07:24am

Marc (monkeelino) | 39 comments Jessica- I especially enjoyed your " wimptastic" post complete with graph and adorable pic of Ruby in booties!

Ruth- those poem/painting creations are wonderful.

Seamus- I've been enjoying the music countdown, most of which I'm unfamiliar with... While I am familiar with Tom Waits, I hadn't heard "The Piano is Drunk" until you posted about it.

reply | delete | flag *

message 11: by Ruth
May 11, 2013 01:58pm

Ruth Bavetta | 38 comments Most exciting. I will have not one, but two poetry books coming out next year. “Fugitive Pigments,” which is mostly poems about art, from FutureCycle Press and “Embers on the Stairs” from Moon Tide Press.

The new issue of the online journal Red River Review is now up, including my poem “How to Stop Being Broke.” Go to http://www.redriverreview.com/ Click on May 2013 Issue. Then click on page 7.

reply | delete | flag *

message 12: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee
May 11, 2013 02:41pm

Anthony Watkins (AnthonyUplandpoetWatkins) | 261 comments Cool! Ruth I look forward to your books!

message 13: by Tracy (last edited Jun 09, 2013 05:27pm)
Jun 09, 2013 05:23pm

Tracy Reilly (treillyfarragutorg) Ruth wrote: "Because I do both poetry and art, I guess it's a natural that I also make visual poetry. Here's a link to some that were published in Rattle's Visual Poetry issue a few years ago.

I work on the pa..."

That's kinda cool...and all Da Vinci's women sort of look alike, somehow.

I blog...can't decide whether or not to post my link, 'cos I have mixed feelings about my reason for doing it...

Currently, I am updating a British classic that will be performed by my Drama students this year. I write all sorts of other things as well.

reply | delete | flag *

message 14: by Seamus
Jun 10, 2013 02:54am

Seamus Duggan (SeamusDuggan) | 19 comments Anthony wrote: "Seamus wrote: "my wife says i need to start blogging. i suppose if i compiled all my random thoughts into one thread it would be a blog, but not near as entertaining or as useful as yours!"

Marc wrote:
Seamus- I've been enjoying the sic countdown, most of which I'm unfamiliar with... While I am familiar with Tom Waits, I hadn't heard "The Piano is Drunk" until you posted about it. "

Thanks, both of you, although I fail to see the 'use' of my blog I hope it entertains!

Anthony - your blog is easily as entertaining as mine!

Marc - Tom Waits is like two artists, his pre and post Swordfishtrombones work is radically different although there are similarities too.

reply | delete | flag *

message 15: by Tracy (last edited Jun 10, 2013 10:40am)
Jun 10, 2013 10:28am

Tracy Reilly (treillyfarragutorg) Oh,oh, Seamus, my Irish paisan...we are musical brother and sister. (And I do have a bit o' Irish blood, from Rebel Cork.... Funny, I am using a Big Star song (albeit a pedestrian one...) in my play. Plan to teach a student to play it. Your Joy Division homage is good. I will have to spend more time on your blog to get ideas for the ones that got away. Well, I put Iggy and the Stooges higher on my list, and I am sad to say that I have somewhat lost the art of listening in albums these days...

reply | delete | flag *

message 16: by Seamus
Jun 10, 2013 02:06pm

Seamus Duggan (SeamusDuggan) | 19 comments Tracy wrote: "Oh,oh, Seamus, my Irish paisan...we are musical brother and sister. (And I do have a bit o' Irish blood, from Rebel Cork.... Funny, I am using a Big Star song (albeit a pedestrian one...) in my p..."
Well, with a name like Reilly there has to have been some Irish in there. I have rediscovered the art of listening to full albums as a result of blogging. I was tending to listen to playlists and random songs a lot more than full albums but I managed to make time to listen to the full albums while writing about them. Of course I then found that I didn't have much time to read....

reply | delete | flag *

message 17: by Tracy
Jun 10, 2013 06:58pm

Tracy Reilly (treillyfarragutorg) yeah..somebody's dummass ancestor(my husband's) cut off their hand and threw it out of a boat to get some land..but my blood Scotch/ Irish is Quinlan , McKinney and McDonald. What do you think of your countryman, Rory Gallagher?

reply | delete | flag *

message 18: by Seamus
Jun 12, 2013 04:51pm

Seamus Duggan (SeamusDuggan) | 19 comments Tracy wrote: "yeah..somebody's dummass ancestor(my husband's) cut off their hand and threw it out of a boat to get some land..but my blood Scotch/ Irish is Quinlan , McKinney and McDonald. What do you think of..."

Hi Tracy, although I admire Rory I have never been one of his many true fans who see him as the greatest. I would say that he's very, very good at something I'm not really a big fan of - guitar solos etc. However sometimes he really was startlingly good, especially live.

reply | delete | flag *

message 19: by Tracy
Jun 13, 2013 06:26pm

Tracy Reilly (treillyfarragutorg) Hah! You show punk roots! I like it--solopsistic 70's solos can be tedious (and is also my excuse for not playing scales every day or learning such advanced guitar techniques such as "sweeping". I prefer mini, selective and discriminating solos--or am I just lazy?

reply | delete | flag *

message 20: by Seamus
Jun 14, 2013 05:38am

Seamus Duggan (SeamusDuggan) | 19 comments I suppose I was indoctrinated by punk. Songs like One Chord Wonders and Boredom showing that sometimes less is more.
I love blues guitarists who seem to be using the least possible notes - like Blixa Bargeld's on early Bad Seeds records. Playing silence is just as important as playing sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuTeVB...

message 2: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

Somehow we lost Ruth's pic. I was going to try to delete the original, but i guess i will just leave both... cant find the delete thread option.

message 3: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

Car wrecks, guns and velvet paintings:

http://anthonyuplandpoetwatkins.wordp...

message 4: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

More on guns, and now i am getting a bit of an interaction from a serious gun person. Wonder if anyone has any thoughts about letting his posts stand. over the years, i have rebutted these points over and over and those who choose to believe their right to a gun is equal to or greater than my right to life will not see the truth, as i see it.

message 5: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

Seamus Duggan wrote:
I suppose I was indoctrinated by punk. Songs like One Chord Wonders and Boredom showing that sometimes less is more.
I love blues guitarists who seem to be using the least possible notes - like Blixa Bargeld's on early Bad Seeds records. Playing silence is just as important as playing sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuTeVB..."

sure, but if you only played silence, i think it would be a fair question as to whether you were playing at all, but i do appreciate the open spaces between the notes!

message 6: by Seamus (new)

Seamus Duggan (SeamusDuggan) | 69 comments Anthony wrote: "Seamus Duggan wrote:
I suppose I was indoctrinated by punk. Songs like One Chord Wonders and Boredom showing that sometimes less is more.
I love blues guitarists who seem to be using the least po..."

My answer to that is - " "

message 7: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (last edited Sep 16, 2013 02:53AM) (new)

the
space 
b 
e 
t 
w 
e 
e 
n 

the
 words 
is 
 called
 p
 o
 e 
 t
 r
 y

:)...

message 8: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

message 9: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

and now back to my regularly scheduled programing of political rants:)

message 10: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

Now I am starting some real trouble:

message 11: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

dont-leave-me-alone-in-the-silence-of-the-dreams-of-the-bells/

message 12: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

having a bit more fun than usual with this one

message 13: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

message 14: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

more about free education:

message 15: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

now, back into the jesus thing

message 16: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

and now the "Christmas thing"

message 17: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

thanks to my dear cousin whose misguided warning inspired me:

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I recently realized a 40-year dream of becoming a published author (with Black Rose Writing).

http://www.amazon.com/Another-Time-Pl...

Word-of-mouth can be a very effective networking tool. If you are so inclined, I would appreciate if you shared this post on your social networks and encouraged your networking friends to do the same. Thanks a lot! Much appreciated!!

message 19: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

I hope you sell a million copies!!!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Anthony wrote: "I hope you sell a million copies!!!"

Thanks a lot, Upland, but I have a more realistic goal in mind -200. From what I've tried to find out, that's the number of copies a first-time author sells. Considering that I'm not doing any promo that costs money...................................Anyway, trying to get published was never about sales figures; I just wanted to realize a 40-year dream of becoming a published author, and not self-published at that.

message 21: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

Understood. With all my self published work, i dont think i have ever sold 200 copies combined, so getting someone else to publish it and selling 200 would be a success.

message 22: by Lara (new)

Lara (llevinson) | 21 comments Up told me to post about our new group over here, so that's just what I'm going to do!

We have started a new Who Doesn't Love a Classic? group over here on Goodreads. We're still trying to figure some stuff out but please come join us!

Who Doesn't Love a Classic?

message 23: by Anthony, Administrator, Keeper of the Really Good Coffee (new)

Lara wrote: "Up told me to post about our new group over here, so that's just what I'm going to do!

We have started a new Who Doesn't Love a Classic? group over here on Goodreads. We're still trying to figure ..."

Thank you and best of luck!!