The Epic of Gilgamesh The Epic of Gilgamesh question

Books about Ancient River Civilizations for Middle School Students
John Isaacson John Aug 22, 2013 11:35PM
Does anybody have any good ideas for books about ancient river civilizations for middle school students? I am looking for titles and authors of books I could use in a humanities classroom setting.

BETWEEN TWO RIVERS by Harry Turtledove. The most accurate representation of the culture I have ever found in fictional form. (Do not set them onto Robert Silverberg's GILGAMESH, which is kind of R rated.)

Feliks (last edited Feb 23, 2014 01:47PM ) Feb 23, 2014 01:34PM   0 votes
You mean Zetcharia Sitchin. I appreciate that you found his works entertaining; but I wonder how wise it is to recommend works of speculative pseudoscience and pseudohistory to younger children. While there may be plenty of factoids sprinkled throughout such works, can we really prescribe these titles for a classroom setting? To non-adults still lacking skills in critical-thinking?

Off the top of my head....well, I'd need a little while to name some non-fiction titles still 'readable' enough for young pupils. Ancient Mesopotamia or Chaldea, are tough areas to find extensive literature for, and the non-fiction is pretty dry archaeological reading.

For fiction, I can cite 'Ancient Evenings' by Norman Mailer; which is very well-written fiction about Egypt. But it is perhaps too erotic.

How about 'The Anabasis' by Xenophon? That's an exciting tour of the 'Fertile Crescent' during the Classical Age.

The Golden Ass by Apeulius is perhaps another.

deleted member Oct 26, 2014 11:12AM   0 votes
Stephen Mitchell's Gilgamesh!

try zetcharia zitchin's series. first one is 12th planet. there are lots of information about mesopotamia, eposs of gilgamesh and ancient world. interesting book to read