The Indwelling (Left Behind, #7) The Indwelling question

Losing Loved Ones to the Rapture
C. J. Scurria C. J. (last edited Sep 05, 2013 08:26AM ) Aug 22, 2013 11:04PM
It says on page 48 where Rayford describes losing his loved ones to the Rapture. This is what it says in the book:

"It was the fear of missing the school bus, losing your homework, forgetting your gym clothes, knowing you've been caught cheating on a test, being called to the principal's office, being fired, going bankrupt, cheating on your wife-- all rolled into one."

Now I know that Lahaye has said he is not the greatest writer but does anyone else find this description terrible? Or do you think it is possibly close or a good comparison to what it might feel like? Do you think this description makes a good point or do you think it is a silly bunch of analogies?

I personally think that it would feel like a person that has had a family member go missing only they know they will not be able to see them again (not in this world anyway). Imagine the deep feeling that it is as if a piece of you is missing and will not be filled again. (sorry for making anyone depressed).

I don't know. What do you think?

I'm not depressed but I am concerned. I have a sister who doesn't want to go to church because she saw a movie about he rapture and how little kids vanished. She saw it from the pov of someone who was A) too young to understand, at the time and B) Hasn't made any effort to investigate the issue since.

I think Mr. LaHaye is dealing with that SICK feeling of "Oh MAN!" multiplied exponentially!

Everyone knows the feeling of forgetting something they know they should have done, or somewhere they should have gone, but slept in on the day. It's a feeling of wishing you could turn back the clock and undo the missed opportunity or embarrassment (of being caught cheating). Only on a humungously larger scale!

Writing as a Christian, I'm THINKING that if I'd heard that something like this could happen, I would want to find out WHAT it was, WHY it could happen, and what would be the consequences of being left rather than taken (or vice versa). Book one of the series lays it out. The other books are told from the standpoint of those who would be left and what all could happen in the next 7 years.

Truth to tell, as much as I dislike Chloe (she's a real BRAIN who's so full of her own intelligence that she can't see anything else!) a lot of people will likely take her same view, no matter what's going on. But hey, if millions of people disappear in a blink, that would change all the rules for me. (Though I don't plan to be here to find out).

If you're honestly looking for a legit touch stone to find out if there is even a shred of truth in what Jerry Jenkins and Tim LaHaye wrote, you need only look at what's going on in the middle East and ISRAEL. The fact that nation exists again is part of BIBLE prophecy, as much as neighboring nations would like the world to believe that Israel is not Jewish land, the idea that JEWS are returning to that land is a major indicator.

If that doesn't work for you, then there is the I.D. issue. RFID, forms of identification that are connected, physically TO the person, so's to keep track of everyone in the world. That is being tried, on an experimental basis NOW, but what if the day comes when there is no longer a choice?

If that day never comes, then Christians can rightfully be called crazies. Then again, wouldn't you want to find out all you can, just in case?

I don't feel LaHaye is a very good writer. I find his writing to be too self-righteously preachy and one-dimensional. The only reason I read his books was because I am fascinated by the book of Revelation and the whole concept of the Tribulation/Armageddon, etc.

Regarding his description of the Rapture and losing family, I found his descriptions to be weak and unfulfilling. He seemed to gloss over it--wouldn't the Rapture's results be stultifying for people left behind?