Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Self-Promotion, etc. > Affleck as Batman, thoughts?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Izworski | 75 comments It was just announced that Ben Affleck will be playing the Dark Knight in the Man of Steel sequel. I'm not really liking this... do you think he can pull it off? He has a Bruce Wayne-ish look to him, I will give him that, but from Dare Devil flop to one of the biggest heroes out... I just don't know.

message 2: by Reign (new)

Reign (ExChef100) | 10 comments The consensus on my FB page seems to be very negative, and for good cause. He's just not good in action movies. They might as well have brought back Val Kilmer. Very sad. Henry Cavill was great in the first Superman (not to mention he's a fellow Elder Scrolls fan). But I'll probably pass on the next movie solely based on their choice of Batman.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul | 286 comments First came Denial... i was like "NOOOOOOOOO!"
Then came Anger "HOW DARE THEY DO THIS!?!?"
Followed by Bargaining "Please, if you dont do this, I'll be good and go see all your movies."
The Depression set in "I can't live in a world that would do this"
And, finally, Acceptance "OK, maybe it won't be so bad, if Aleck can manage to wipe that smirk off his face (or have Superman do it for him), maybe this might work"

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 163 comments A good script will carry the day. And I am about ready get get away from the titanic-spectacle model of superhero movie. Can we see the World's Greatest Detective back again? I miss him.

message 5: by Reign (new)

Reign (ExChef100) | 10 comments Brenda wrote: "A good script will carry the day. And I am about ready get get away from the titanic-spectacle model of superhero movie. Can we see the World's Greatest Detective back again? I miss him."

Dirk Gently?

message 7: by Melissa (last edited Aug 23, 2013 08:32AM) (new)

Melissa (mkc2192) Okay, I feel a little better seeing other reactions. I feel less harsh for thinking, Is this some kind of sick joke? when I saw a picture of him on my facebook feed with the caption "The new batman. Thoughts?". I'm sorry, but I have never been a big fan of Ben Affleck and I really can't see him as Batman. I couldn't even see him as Daredevil and look what he did in that movie. Ugh. :P

message 8: by Reign (new)

Reign (ExChef100) | 10 comments I do have a couple of other questions for everyone regarding this movie:
- Frank Miller will be involved with the movie meaning that the script will most likely follow his Dark Knight Returns graphic novels, which was a Batman series. Why are they using a Batman comic series as the sequel to a Superman movie?
- Also, why have we only seen Superman movies with either Lex Luthor or the Kryptonians as the villain? They seem hell-bent on sticking to those two story lines and it's some what mind boggling as there are some great Superman bad guys out there.

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

message 9: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 163 comments Batman particularly has such a deep and great rogues gallery that there is just no excuse for sticking with lame ones like Bane. At least they are unlikely to bring the Joker back for a while, so we can be thankful for that. Wouldn't it be great to see Clayface, or a convincing Poison Ivy?

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 294 comments I think it's a choice I can respect and give a chance to see how it works out.

Personally, I think Daredevil failed for reasons other than Affleck's performance. But even if you think he was horrible in that movie, it is possible he could nail Batman. Look at the profound difference between Chris Evan's Human Torch and Captain America. Part of that is script and director, and some comes down to rising to the occasion.

Also, alot of people out there in the 'verse seem to be pointing too his worst movies-- say, Gigli --and using them as a reason he can't be a good Batman.

But even the best actors shouldn't be judged by their worst movies. Robert frickin' DeNiro was in Rocky & Bullwinkle for goshsakes!

We've seen capable and even respected actors turn in horrible performances in comic book movies.
Tommy Lee Jones (in Batman Forever)
Kevin Spacey (in Superman Returns)
Halle Berry (in X-Men & Catwoman)
Faye Dunnaway & Peter O'Toole (in Supergirl)

We've seen actors whose casting was questioned by fans (and/or the industry) turn in excellent ones.
Michael Keaton as Batman
Heath Ledger as the Joker
Christian Bale as Batman (why am I sensing a theme here? maybe nobody is ever happy with who they cast as Batman til they see it.)
Ron Perlman in Hellboy

I say give Affleck a chance.

I'm more worried about the Snyder/Goyer combination in another outing than Affleck as Batman.

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 294 comments Reign wrote: "Frank Miller will be involved with the movie..."

I had heard they were looking to TDKR for inspiration, but I hadn't heard that Miller had even been consulted, let alone involved.

Personally, I hope they take only loose inspiration from it. I don't think this team (or possibly any team) is capable of doing that story justice on screen.

message 12: by Melissa (last edited Aug 23, 2013 10:42AM) (new)

Melissa (mkc2192) Robert wrote: "Look at the profound difference between Chris Evan's Human Torch and Captain America."

Good point. Chris Evans was annoying and completely cheesy and unlikable as the Human Torch. In Captain America he's sweet, lovable, and a character worth rooting for.

Christian Bale as Batman (why am I sensing a theme here? maybe nobody is ever happy with who they cast as Batman til they see it.)

I guess all I can do is remain a skeptic until I see Affleck's performance as Batman. You have a point, but that doesn't mean I'm too thrilled about the news. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope he makes it on that list of questionable casting gone right.

If he's good then I'm willing to admit I was wrong and will be more than happy to see him in more roles like it.

If he's not then I'll just shrug and move on. I won't expect too much to be disappointed.

message 13: by Reign (new)

Reign (ExChef100) | 10 comments Robert wrote: "Reign wrote: "Frank Miller will be involved with the movie..."

I had heard they were looking to TDKR for inspiration, but I hadn't heard that Miller had even been consulted, let alone involved.

P..."

Here's some word on Miller's involvement: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/ne...

As far as TDKR, I don't know how much of they're actually using in the movie, I just find it strange that they would look to a Batman storyline to do a Superman sequel, as if there are a shortage of Superman story lines out there.

And if they are doing a Miller style Batman (darker and older), that seriously calls into question the casting of Affleck as he does not seem to fit at all.

message 14: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 163 comments If they're truly doing a co-starring movie, they should consider the first issues of the Superman/Batman title from about ten years ago. Those were delightful.

message 15: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (darthval) My first thought was, "Ugh, really?"

I can't say the idea has grown on my much since my initial thought. Have not really enjoyed many (any?) of Ben's performances.

Having said that, I am not much of a Christian Bale fan, but I love The Dark Knight movies despite the actor.

So, I will go to see the movie with an open mind and hope for the best. That's all I can do.

message 16: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin I wasn't excited about Affleck as Batman when I first heard about it, but then I never thought that Chris Evans could pull off Captain America. Since Evans proved me so wrong, I'm willing to give Affleck a chance (even with the disaster that was Daredevil).

message 17: by Dwayne (new)

Dwayne Keller My first reaction was: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" and my second was "This confirms my thoughts that DC has no clue on how to do Superhero movies." I won't bother going into the reasons that Nolan ruined Batman; and this is just another link in the chain of their ineptitude. I didn't see the latest Superman and won't be seeing this travesty either.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Izworski | 75 comments I kind of want to see a GOOD Dare Devil movie, I don't think anyone will bother now. And the consensus (as far as what I've seen on Facebook and Goodreads) seem to agree that this is an awful idea, though I do see plenty willing to "give 'em a chance". As a reader of Batman, can any actor really live up to the expectation? I do not really like anyone who has played Batman so far. Keaton was cool I guess when I was kid, and Bale did a decent job, but none are quite as good as what's been drawn. To me anyway.

Apparently "Argo" was amazing (haven't seen it), but I never really liked Ben. I've been pondering it, and I can't think of anyone who would be a good fit. Anybody established (like Affleck) will look silly as Batman. I think they should have cast some lesser known up and comer. It could've been a career maker for someone and left the fans with hope maybe.

I ask this now: If not Affleck, then who? who would you choose to play the Dark Knight now that Bale has hung up the cowl. I've read that they are going with an older/wiser Batman in the Superman movie... but don't limit it to that. Who should be Batman?

message 19: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Contreras | 15 comments Not at all excited to see Affleck as the dark knight. I've grown to love Bale and I'm not sure I can picture anyone else in the role.

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Izworski | 75 comments Reign wrote: "Robert wrote: "Reign wrote: "Frank Miller will be involved with the movie..."

I had heard they were looking to TDKR for inspiration, but I hadn't heard that Miller had even been consulted, let alo..."

If they're doing it TDKR style they might as well let Adam West do it. As campy and out of date as that series is West had a decent look for Batman. No one who has played him seems big enough to me though. Sure Bale is in peak physical condition, but I always see Batman as a bigger dude. And as cheesy as it was Burt Ward was the perfect Robin (as far as appearance is concerned).