Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Meyer, Marissa; Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles 2) - Start Date September 26th 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 202 (202 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments  photo scarletcollage_zpsd453c391.jpg

This topic is open for discussion on Scarlet by Marissa Meyer. Be prepared for SPOILERS.

Book synopsis:

The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
Reserved

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I read Cinder in January, and I'm looking forward to seeing how that story continues in this book!

message 4: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I read Scarlet few months ago, but I will gladly join the discussion :)

message 5: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3235 comments Anima wrote: "I read Scarlet few months ago, but I will gladly join the discussion :)"

Me too. :)

message 6: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) As it happens, I just borrowed it from the library. I'm in.

message 7: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
I set this one for the 26th of September, Does that work for you Nicole, Lania and Esther?

message 8: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) I will have to renew my loan. But it should be ok.

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Works for me! I'd completely forgotten we were doing this one *bashful grins*

message 10: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'll divide up the chapters a bit later. For some reason I thought it wasn't the 26th yet. Oops!

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Can we do this one with 50 pages a day too? I find that's a good number with other reads going at the same time.

message 12: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Yep. I'll aim for that.

message 13: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 26, 2013 05:14PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sorry for taking so long. I've been fighting a headache today.

Date Chapters Pages
Sep 26 1 - 5 1 - 49
Sep 27 6 - 10 50 - 107
Sep 28 11 - 15 108 - 158
Sep 29 16 - 20 159 - 209
Sep 30 21 - 24 210 - 256
Oct 1 25 - 29 257 - 305
Oct 2 30 - 36 306 - 360
Oct 3 37 - 42 361 - 409
Oct 4 43 - end 410 - 452

message 14: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I'm so sorry to hear that! Hopefully you feel better soon.

message 15: by Lanaia (new)

Lanaia (marjetica) | 30 comments Lisarenee, thanks for the schedule!
I need to read 107 pages today :)

message 16: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'll get questions for yesterday up after I take my dog to the vet (almost typed vet to the dog lol). My headache actually cleared up but I fell asleep reading. I did finish yesterday's reading this morning. It was an interesting start.

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Oh shoot, I totally missed what date it was today. Damn, I'll be reading 107 pages tomorrow too!

message 18: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 27, 2013 08:43AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 1 - 5

1. So Scarlet's grandmother is kidnapped. lol Did the 'Wolf' really take her? Would Marissa be so predictable?

2. Do you think Wolf is a bad guy? What did you think of him?

3. What do you make of Scarlet's dad and his kidnapping?

4. Cinder is going to be executed or was that wishful thinking by the general public?

5. What are the people who kidnapped Scarlet's grandmother after?

6. This actually was quick reading. Are we sure we only want to read 50 pages a day?

message 19: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) 1 and 2. Who knows. He just might be. My guess so far (view spoiler)
3. I have no clue what to make of him, really.
5. I am sure that it is something that ties up Cinder's story to Scarlet's.
6. Personally I would go on with 50 pages. I listen to it so it takes longer and I have no time this weekend.

message 20: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 29, 2013 04:27AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 6 - 10

7. So Kai doesn't know what to make of Cinder and is torn about his feelings and believe she used glamour. I find that interesting.

8. Wolf insists he's not the person who kidnapped Scarlet's father and claims to have people who can vouch for where he's been this whole week. Do you believe him? I think I do.

9. What did you think of Cinder's escape? Did she use mind control on those last guards or was that part of the glamour? Why doesn't she do that more often?

10. Any questions, comments or observations you'd like to add?

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Yup, I'm good to continue on with 50 pages daily.

I think both the wolf and her dad are viable for being liars. I think that's how Marissa has cleverly kept it from being too predictable. And I like the wolf. Either way this turns out, I think I'm going to be surprised.

I love the way that Marisa has balanced the Scarlet/Cinder stuff so far too. Having the end of Cinders story on the TV in that bar was genius.

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I really want to believe Wolf. I find myself liking him more and more the more I read him.

I think the text makes it obvious why Cinder doesn't use her mind control more often. We've seen where that leads, and that's the horrible Queen of the Lunar.

I know this isn't mentioned, but is totally hope we get to see more of the doctor from last book. I know that we heard a lot about him in this section, but I want to see him again. I'd forgotten he was also Lunar.

Seeing Iko come back as the ship was kinds awesome.

message 23: by Lanaia (new)

Lanaia (marjetica) | 30 comments I'm just letting you all know, I need to finish 2 other books by the end of this month for some challenge, but I'll join you in a few days. I'll catch up on my reading then.

message 24: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 29, 2013 04:49AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Sorry I didn't get these up sooner
Questions and Comments for Chapters 11 - 15

11. So what did you make of the information Scarlet gleaned about wolves? Was it to remind us there will be a wolf (I'm guessing werewolf) involved and/or perhaps subtly hinting that Wolf is an Omega?

12. What did you make of Wolf's explanation of how he ended up on the farm? Did you buy into it? I did.

13. So LSOP = Loyal Soldier of the Pack? More hinting at werewolves?

14. Did Scarlet do right be ridding herself of her dad? Do you think he'll betray her farther in the future?

15. So Scarlet's Grandmother was in the military. I really wish we knew what everyone was searching for. It's been a while since I read the last book.

16. So we have Dr. Eglands's assist on tape and Kai now knows he's Lunar. I can't wait until Cinder and he meet up in Africa. The whole Captain and Cinder situation is reminding me of Star Wars' Princess Leia and Hans Solo. Anyone else getting a little of that vibe?

17. Queen Levana is uber creepy with her powers (Jedi mind control?). How could you defeat such a person?

18. Loved the integrating of Iko into the ship was fun. I loved her reaction to being so Huge and worried about what she looks like. Plus, the blushing scene. Very funny.

message 25: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I wasn't a fan of Scarlet's dad from beginning to end. I have a sense of her grandma from all the things she's said and she's more endeared to me in absence than her dad was in person. What I reckon I'll feel really betrayed by is if her grandma ends up being everything Scarlet's dad's been describing.

I seriously don't know how Meyer is going to write herself out of Queen Levana's powers. I seriously worry that she's written herself into a corner or that the resolution is going to be disappointing. Often happens when there's a really powerful antagonist.

message 26: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'm wondering if Cinder and Queen Levana will have to have some sort of mental duel or something that ends it. We'll have to wait and see. Since Cinder is the princess, and I guess rightful Queen, perhaps when she comes in to her full power (if she hasn't yet that is) she can seize control? Do we know all there is to know about Cinder? Perhaps there are some twists in the future?

message 27: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I have wondered that as well. And Cinder is also someone Levana has been shown to be afraid of (in the first book). Maybe that's why.

message 28: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3235 comments For anyone that's interested in Wolf's back story, you should read The Queen's Army. However, if you're still deciding what you think about him and a couple other pack members, you may want to wait. It's a good story, but it will explain a couple people and relationships that you may want to guess at until the end.

Also, if you want Cinder's back story (from before the first book), you can read Glitches. It tells how Cinder came to live with her family and little more of her story before Cinder began.

Both stories are very short, but I thought very good.

message 29: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I liked Glitches a lot, I'm waiting with reading The Queen's Army just to make my waiting for Cress shorter (I will read TQA in January most probably :))

message 30: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Kristie wrote: "For anyone that's interested in Wolf's back story, you should read The Queen's Army. However, if you're still deciding what you think about him and a couple other pack members, you may want to wait..."

Thanks Kristie

message 31: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Are these books only available as ebook and are they expensive?

message 32: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3235 comments They're free online. If you go to the Goodreads page for the book, there is a URL address. You just click on it and it brings you to the story. You can read them on your computer. :)

message 33: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Thank you so much, Kristie, that's fantastic!

message 34: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3235 comments You're welcome! Hope you enjoy them. :)

message 35: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 16 - 20

19. Well, she almost did the, "My what big teeth you have", but she figured they were implants. I wonder how long it will take before she realizes he's a wolf?

20. So is anyone else thinking Ran is a wolf too?

21. What did you make of the whole train scene? Why did the robot take a blood sample? That just seemed odd, especially since they didn't take Wolf's.

22. Could there be something about Scarlet? Could she be something other than all human?

message 36: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Ooh, it slipped my notice that they didn't take Wolfs blood as well! I wonder why.

Ran's definitely a wolf as far as I'm concerned.

My favourite part of this section was actually hearing about Michelle Benoit from Cinder's point of view. I'd forgotten she had been mentioned at all in the previous book. Clever foreshadowing and fun to have it pop up now.

message 37: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) Sorry i was offline for the weekend. I got back into it last night and i think i just got a bit over the schedule.

Anyway.
Wolf: my mind set is to much on the "retelling" of the fairy tale that the werewolf theory did not occurred to me. I see your point thought. Still not sure which side he is going to go for.... I am sure it's gonna be grayish

Ran: wolf reaction seem to make it likely.

I never noticed them not taking wolf's blood either.

message 38: by Lisarenee (last edited Sep 30, 2013 08:24PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 21 - 24

23. So we got a little info dump in this section of reading. Ran is part of the pack and the Omega to boot. We found out Wolf escaped the pack and was supposed to kidnap her grandmother. We also discovered Scarlet is probably part Lunar. So who do you put your money on being the lost Princess--Cinder or Scarlet? I'm still betting it's Cinder.

24. Why wouldn't her grandmother reveal their family background to her son and granddaughter?

25. Kai now feels they need to put better security in place to figure out if there are hidden Lunars blending into the general populace. Could that have been what the blood test was about or is the blood test the reason Wolf's and Ran's mission was cancelled?

26. You know, I find it kind of funny that the media is cutting Cinder's clothing, hair, and pretty much anything else they can about her appearance at the ball, yet Kai is convinced she glamoured him.

27. What did you think of Thorne's analysis of Emperor Kai's feelings for Cinder?

28. Could Dr. Tanner be Dr. Erland? Could he be Scarlet's grandfather? If he is, do you think he knows about his son and granddaughter?

message 39: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3235 comments Oh my gosh! I'm dying here. I've finished the book and there are still so many surprises left in store for you!! I can't even answer these questions without giving something away!

message 40: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I'm on chapter 23 and I'm thinking about how yesterday's question asked whether we thought Scarlet was anything other than human. I am completely blown away by this segment of the book!! And that was without even considering that the info we have about Cinder being the Lunar princess might be wrong. Omg omg. I love this book.

I kind if figured Dr Tanner must be Dr Erland. We haven't really seen another Dr in the tale.

message 41: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Kristie wrote: "Oh my gosh! I'm dying here. I've finished the book and there are still so many surprises left in store for you!! I can't even answer these questions without giving something away!"

After reading this last little bit there are a lot of twists.

message 42: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Nicole wrote: "I'm on chapter 23 and I'm thinking about how yesterday's question asked whether we thought Scarlet was anything other than human. I am completely blown away by this segment of the book!! And that w..."

I'm enjoying it too. :)

message 43: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 25 - 29

29. So after reading this section, do you still believe Wolf is one of the good guys? Was the "I'm sorry" because he was going to treat her poorly or because he'd deceived her and he liked her despite himself?

30. So LSO actually stands for Lunar Special Operative. I didn't see that one coming. Anyone else?

31. Have we heard of a thaumaturge before?

32. What did you think of the the evil stepmother and stepsister who told Kai that Cinder was the girl in the video who attacked the med droids? I'm appalled, but not surprised she called Cinder an aberration.

33. Did you like the grandmere/omega switcheroo? That glamour sure comes in handy.

message 44: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) Well. I guess that buddy read with a schedule and audiobooks are not compatible in my case. I do not pay attention to chapter when listening. So, i have finished it.

I did not like it as much as the 1st one.

message 45: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Really, Esther? I'd be curious to hear why when i finish this novel! I'll be close to it by the end of today :)

message 46: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Esther wrote: "Well. I guess that buddy read with a schedule and audiobooks are not compatible in my case. I do not pay attention to chapter when listening. So, i have finished it.

I did not like it as much as ..."

Well, the schedule is just for pacing, but you aren't required to follow it. The questions are just to spur some conversation/discussion and also not a requirement to be answered. Three more days of reading and I'll be done. I've been doing my best to read this according to the schedule, but I read a lot faster when you let me loose. :)

message 47: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Once again, this book has so many twists and turns. Absolutely loving them. And I think that Wolf is a good guy, but my thoughts are conflicted now. Didn't at all see the name of his group as a fake name that instead ties into the Lunar. Completely surprised me. As did the switcheroo with Ran and the grandma. Don't know why, though. I know the story of Red Riding Hood!

How do people feel the original fairy tale has been converted so far?

message 48: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3235 comments Nicole wrote: "Once again, this book has so many twists and turns. Absolutely loving them. And I think that Wolf is a good guy, but my thoughts are conflicted now. Didn't at all see the name of his group as a fak..."

I think you miss the grandma switch because through the book you're thinking of Wolf as "the wolf" and not Ran as playing that part.

Don't read my spoiler until you finish the book. It will really ruin some things for you! I'm finished the book, so I think of Wolf as (view spoiler)

message 49: by Lisarenee (last edited Oct 02, 2013 01:39PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions and Comments for Chapters 30 - 36

34. So is Cinder also Sleeping Beauty? Now that we know she was asleep for years could she be a two for one story book character remake? This is starting to remind me of some of the twists they do on the TV show Once Upon a Time.

35. So now it seems Wolf/Ze'ev did not betray Scarlet. I like when an author makes us question the loyalty of someone.

36. I liked the ID chip transfer, but how can she use it if she's locked up? (I also admit it was kind of gross if you consider it's been embedded inside somebody else's body.) Whose chip is it?

37. I like how Cinder is coming into her powers. So was it Ran or Jael who attacked?

message 50: by Lanaia (new)

Lanaia (marjetica) | 30 comments Hey guys, I see you're having fun reading this book. I'm sorry but I don't think I'll be able to catch up, I've been so busy and have only read 5 chapters so far.. I'll join you for Prodigy buddy read in a few days. Have fun!

« previous 1 3 4 5