The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Welcome to Night Vale

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chadwick (new)

Chadwick Saxelid | 0 comments Any other Welcome to Night Vale listeners around here?

I learned about the show via the tweets of Seanan McGuire, and quickly became hooked and cannot recommend it highly enough.

Each episode is about a half hour in length and is formatted as a news broadcast detailing the various community events and strange, unearthly happenings that occur daily in this "friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep."

There are 29 episodes to date, and each and every one is filled with strange monsters, eerie weirdness, and ominous portents of horrors to come. But please do not mistake this for a mere horror show, for it is far from frightening.

No, Welcome to Night Vale is actually a comedy. The humor coming for newsperson Cecil Baldwin's eloquent and deadpan delivery of the absurd events that are terrifying Night Vale's population.

Although you can start almost anywhere, I do recommend starting with the pilot, as the show writer's love making small, weird asides (such as casually mentioning the Faceless Old Woman that lives in your house) that become the central figures in future episodes.

In the pilot you learn about the new Dog Park, on the corner of Earl and Summerset, near the Ralph's. "Dogs are not allowed in the Dog Park. People are not allowed in the Dog Park. It is possible, you will see hooded figures in the Dog Park. Do not approach them. Do not approach the Dog Park. The fence is electrified and highly dangerous. Try not to look at the Dog Park, and especially do not look for any period of time at the hooded figures. The Dog Park will not harm you."

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8480 comments Link?

message 3: by Chadwick (new)

Chadwick Saxelid | 0 comments Trike wrote: "Link?"

It's available via iTunes, but here is the production's webpage:
http://commonplacebooks.com/welcome-t...

message 4: by Seawood (new)

Seawood Yes yes! It's awesome. I'm about halfway through. Just relentlessly weird stuff, and as you say the delivery is beautifully done.

message 5: by A.J. (new)

A.J. (ajbobo) | 72 comments Ok. This sounds cool. I'm subscribing to it now.

message 6: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments Listened to all the episodes over the last few days because of this thread. So thanks

message 7: by Chadwick (new)

Chadwick Saxelid | 0 comments Christopher wrote: "Listened to all the episodes over the last few days because of this thread. So thanks"

You're welcome... in Night Vale! ;)

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) | 126 comments I loved the concept of Welcome to Night Vale (I listen to a ton of podcasts, audiobooks and have been collecting vintage old time radio shows for 30 years) but it just wasn't for me - that doesn't mean it was bad, just not what I was looking for.

But like I said, I loved the concept.
Any other show recommendations that I could try out????