Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Laura Kinsale
This topic is about Laura Kinsale
2013 Challenge Archive > FAC: Laura Kinsale (September 2013)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19813 comments Laura Kinsale is the pen name of Amanda Moor Jay.

Jay (Laura) has a Master of Science in Geology from the University of Texas at Austin. She worked in the petroleum industry for six years before beginning to write. As a geologist, Laura would get out of bed in the middle of the night and drive hundreds of miles alone across west Texas to sit at drilling rigs, wear a hard hat, and attempt to boss around oil-covered males considerably larger than herself. This, she decided, was pushing her luck. So she gave all that up to sit in a chair and stare into space for long periods of time, attempting to figure out What-Happens-Next.

Now, she is a winner and multiple nominee for the Best Book of the Year award given by the Romance Writers of America.

She and her husband David currently divide their time between Santa Fe, New Mexico, and Texas.

Laura's GR page is here: Laura Kinsale

Challenge Task: Read one book written by our featured author, Laura Kinsale.
Challenge Duration: The whole month of September.

To sign up:
Post your interest and the book you are planning to read.

You must also signify if you are:
A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.
B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again.
C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.
D - Didn't like the last one I've read, but willing to give it another chance.

To complete:
Post the date when you've completed your book.

You must also say if, after reading:
A - would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.
B - could take it or leave it. Was not an unpleasant experience but I'm not burning rubber to get to her other books.
C - Oh well, I tried. Definitely not my cup of tea.

A little review of the book read is welcomed but not required.

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19813 comments Where we started:

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19813 comments Where we finished:

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19813 comments I'm a 'C' - and I think I'll read/listen to Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) I'm a "C" and I plan to read Flowers from the Storm Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale

message 6: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20241 comments I'm a C too, I don't know what I'm going to read yet...

message 7: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7107 comments I think I'm a D, but not totally sure. I seem to remember reading something several years ago and not being particularly impressed. Not sure what I'll be reading yet, but leaning toward Flowers from the Storm since the library had it available when I looked! :D

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments I'm a C and I'll probably read Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie | 755 comments I'm a C and I'm going to read For My Lady's Heart (Medieval Hearts, #1) by Laura Kinsale

message 11: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxym) | 208 comments I'm in! I'm a C and will try either Lessons in French by Laura Kinsale or Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale .

message 12: by Gea (new)

Gea (gea89) | 545 comments I'm C and I'll see what book to read a bit later

message 13: by Brett (new)

Brett | 478 comments I'm a C and I will read Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale

message 14: by Renee (new)

Renee (reneeknowlesreads) | 1 comments I am new to the group and am a B. I will read My Sweet Folly by Laura Kinsale

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 358 comments I'm a C and I'm going to read Flowers from the Storm.

message 16: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments I am a C and I will be reading Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale

message 17: by ❆ Crystal ❆ (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) There's quite a few of us that are reading Flowers from the Storm Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale ... Would anyone want to do a Buddy Read?

message 18: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 4413 comments I'm a C and will read Lessons in French by Laura Kinsale since that's the only Kinsale book my library has.

message 19: by Amanda (last edited Aug 30, 2013 11:19AM) (new)

Amanda (shortie357) | 103 comments I am a C. I will be reading The Dream Hunter by Laura Kinsale

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Solla (tedebear1998) | 244 comments I'm in and I'm a C. I don't know what I'll read just yet.

message 21: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2052 comments I'm in and I'm a C!

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments i'm in and am a B...i've liked the books i've read/listened to, but she's not quite in my A category yet...not sure which book i'm going to do through - have to check the library/see if I want to do an audiobook

message 23: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19813 comments Good idea Crystal! Do you want to set up the buddy read? Otherwise I can do it on Friday :)

message 24: by ❆ Crystal ❆ (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) Jane, Why don't you set it up? I haven't set a buddy read up here before. Thanks! There are about 10 of us reading the same book. I think it would be fun to talk about it.

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Everyone - I just emailed Laura to ask if she would be interested in doing a Q&A since she is the featured author this month and she said she would be interested - however, due to limited time on GR, she asked if we could send questions to her - so if you have something you would like to ask, please PM me, or post in this thread and i'll collate the list to get to her

message 26: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments I changed my book to Seize the Fire by Laura Kinsale

message 27: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20241 comments Dee wrote: "Everyone - I just emailed Laura to ask if she would be interested in doing a Q&A since she is the featured author this month and she said she would be interested - however, due to limited time on G..."

Do you have a date you want questions by?

message 28: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I'm in. I'm a C and I'm going to read Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale . The book has been sitting in my bookshelf for ages.

message 29: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11051 comments I am an A-. I read Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale several years ago and enjoyed it. But I haven't read anything else by her, but that is only because I don't read Historical any more. If I ever get back into it I'm sure Kinsale will be on my tbr list.

I am going to read Laura Kinsale's essay in Dangerous Men and Adventurous Women: Romance Writers on the Appeal of the Romance.

Although I haven't read her essay yet, I've read that she has commented on who the reader identifies with in a Romance novel.

My question for her is....

Can you please tell us a little bit about why you feel that romance readers identify with the hero rather than the heroine?

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments MK - about the 10th - to give her time, and then we'll try to have them up by later in the month

message 31: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20241 comments Dee wrote: "MK - about the 10th - to give her time, and then we'll try to have them up by later in the month"

Thanks Dee!

message 32: by Mave (new)

Mave | 190 comments I'm in! I'm a C and I'm going to read Midsummer Moon

message 33: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1047 comments I am a C and need to figure out what I am going to read.

message 34: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 1058 comments I'm definitely an A.

I'll probably be reading Lessons in French by Laura Kinsale

message 35: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11051 comments I was a A, and I read Laura's essay 'The Androgynous Reader' in Dangerous Men and Adventurous Women: Romance Writers on the Appeal of the Romance. This was a very interesting read, including Laura's opinions on who the reader relates to in a romance novel, how she may use the heroine in the story (as a placeholder of sorts), how important the hero really is (very) and even some observations on the romance book cover. This was written in 1992 when busty, big-haired women were draped over men on covers. Laura explains why an all male cover is more attractive to women and that she was the first to do it (to her knowledge). And look now, so many romance novel covers only feature the hero.

I remain an A.

message 36: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments finally started my book ;)

message 37: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Sep 12, 2013 10:23AM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 7107 comments I finished Flowers from the Storm yesterday, and was very pleasantly surprised...I really enjoyed it! I listened to the audio version, which was I thought was amazing, and I know that was a big part of my enjoyment, but I really liked the storyline, too. I started as a D and ended as a low A - I'll definitely be reading (or listening to) more by this author, but they'll have to wait until I can fit them into other challenges!

message 38: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19813 comments I started yesterday and managed about 2 minutes of the audiobook before my husband hopped in the car and I had to turn off the iPod :( I'll be back into it on Monday!

message 39: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20241 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "I started yesterday and managed about 2 minutes of the audiobook before my husband hopped in the car and I had to turn off the iPod :( I'll be back into it on Monday!"

This is funny to me because I told my husband yesterday that I would rather go down and pick up some tires for his race bike by myself than for him to do it. Because if he did it, he would want me to go along and if I going to be in the car I would rather be listening to my book!!

message 40: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments I read Seize the Fire by Laura Kinsale and loved it! It was one of the most emotional books I've ever read. Totally unexpected. I started a C and finished a definite A. Can't wait to read more by this author, but I will know to keep the kleenex box handy.

message 41: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19813 comments MountainKat wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "I started yesterday and managed about 2 minutes of the audiobook before my husband hopped in the car and I had to turn off the iPod :( I'll be back into it on Monday!"

This is f..."

LOL!! I know exactly how you think Kat! I've done the same thing, although I didn't tell my husband ;)

message 42: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20241 comments I finished Flowers from the Storm on Friday right before a very busy weekend. I really enjoyed it, gave it 4 stars. I listened to it and thought the narrator, Nicholas Boulton, was excellent! I definitely think the book was better for listening to it. I would say I am a low A now, would definitely read her work again though I'm not sure when. I started as an C.

message 43: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19813 comments MountainKat wrote: "I finished Flowers from the Storm on Friday right before a very busy weekend. I really enjoyed it, gave it 4 stars. I listened to it and thought the narrator, Nicholas Boulton, was excellent! I ..."

I'm listening to it now Kat, and I'd agree with your thoughts on the narrator. He is so good!

Have to say, I'm at the end of the part 1 (of 3) on the audio - I'm ready to move on with the story!

message 44: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7107 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Have to say, I'm at the end of the part 1 (of 3) on the audio - I'm ready to move on with the story! "

I know what you mean, Jane...as much as I enjoyed it, I don't know that I would have made it through reading because it did move pretty slowly in places. Not enough that I got bored with it because the narration was so good, but I would have struggled if reading instead of listening.

message 45: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19813 comments Yes - I feel like I am treading water a bit!

message 46: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 4413 comments I read Lessons in French and I have to admit that I was rather underwhelmed after beginning the book, especially after reading all the 'Wow' comments by other romance authors prefaced at the front of the book. But I gradually came to see what it was all about, and ended up enjoying reading about all the angst in the relationship between Trev and Callie, and seeing it come to a very satisfactory conclusion. It ended up a 4* read for me.

I started as a C and ended up a B+

message 47: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 358 comments I finished Flowers from the Stormtoday and I enjoyed it very much. I started out a C but now I am an A. I would love to read her other books to see if I enjoy them enough to put her on my favorite author list.

message 48: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (shortie357) | 103 comments I finished The Dream Hunter by Laura Kinsale . I started out as a "C" and I will be finishing as a "C." I found it difficult to get into the book and then when I finally did, it just dragged on when it should have ended.

message 49: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19813 comments I'm 2/3rds of the way through 'Flowers' -will have to finish it in October!

message 50: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2052 comments I finished Flowers from the Storm by Laura Kinsale . I started out a C and ended up a C. It was a bit long and it dragged a bit for me. And I didn't really like the story, it was kinda boring. Oh well...

« previous 1