Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Grave Sight (Harper Connelly, #1)
This topic is about Grave Sight
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Harris, Charlaine; Grave Sight (Harper Connelly series #1) "Relaxed Buddy Read" (Start Date: 6th October 2013)

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Aug 22, 2013 03:55PM) (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris

BE PREPARED FOR SPOILERS

What is a Buddy Read?

This is an "Relaxed Buddy Read"

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

Book synposis
Harper Connelly has what you might call a strange job: she finds dead people. She can sense the final location of a person who's passed, and share their very last moment. The way Harper sees it, she's providing a service to the dead while bringing some closure to the living - but she's used to most people treating her like a blood-sucking leech. Traveling with her step-brother Tolliver as manager and sometime-bodyguard, she's become an expert at getting in, getting paid, and getting out fast. Because for the living it's always urgent - even if the dead can wait forever.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
reserved

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments I am in. I have had this book for at least three years and I have never read it. It is time to get on the ball.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Cool. I read this on audio, so I'm re-reading it on ebook format to see all that I missed - of course it was back in 2009, so I can't remember it that well :o)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Oh, this is great. I can't wait to see what you guys think of Tolliver!

Leslie | 149 comments I read this book years ago. I'll join in.

message 7: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14257 comments Mod
I will too if I can fit it in :o

message 8: by Valerie (last edited Sep 20, 2013 05:48AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Valerie I want to read this.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Nicole wrote: "Oh, this is great. I can't wait to see what you guys think of Tolliver!"

I know exactly my thoughts about Tolliver *grins* I will love this re-reading :)

Is my favorite series from Charlaine Harris, and after the final installment of Sookie Stackhouse, I need a reminder of how much I used to like her as an author.

Leslie | 149 comments I just picked up a copy from the library today.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Only two day until this one! Is everyone excited?

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Yep

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4756 comments I might start this one early, as the Cuckoo's Calling BOM isn't going to count for event two of the readathon but this will. :)

My pages from CC will still count though!!!

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments At 14% and I'm going to read for another hour or so. I am loving it... all over again... I missed Harper and Tolliver SO MUCH.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4756 comments I started it last night around 10pm or 1030pm... read 37% up to 1am... then finished it today. What a great book!

I really like that Charlaine Harris is able to create a character as likeable as Sookie Stackhouse, with an interesting super power as Sookie (but completely different)... and create such powerful personalities.

I love the dynamic between Tolliver and Harper - needing each other, needing more, not knowing how to find that balance or if things should change.

I love how Harper is strong in so many ways, but broken in so many others.

I love how she feels the sense of justice, but doesn't hesitate to make sure she gets paid!

I also really liked how Harris set up the mystery aspect of this one. While I figured out some of the details, there was a wrench thrown in the works, and I missed a few things... and I love when that happens... when even though I'm mostly right, I'm still shown up. :D

I might not be able to wait until next month for book two... X)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Maybe you get lucky, because since the beginning of November is all booked up, I was thinking on moving this series to the end... and to not make all of us wait almost 2 months till there... the next one could be around the 27th or 28th October.

Who's with me?

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4756 comments My plans for this month are all crazy mixed up now. I might be able to move something else into November for this. If only I wasn't in the middle of a billion series right now...

*stares at Sonia, the person responsible for a few of those series*

hehehehe

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments keep complaining and I may throw some more at you :P

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4756 comments You already have, and I just haven't started them yet! hahaha

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments That's because I was too busy reading and plotting new challenges to push you.

I can make some series irresistible! *grins*

Leslie | 149 comments Just started reading about an hour ago. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Leslie | 149 comments Sonia I'm in! I have a feeling I won't be able it wait to read the next one.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) I'm thinking of joining in on this at some point. This fits my October "read something kind of paranormal" theme, with a humorous (or so it sounds) bent. I just don't know when I can fit it in, so I'm definitely joining in a relaxed state.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4756 comments Yay! Muffin!! :)

It was really good!

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Yey, the Muffin is joining the party!!!!

Celebrating with some

to keep the chill from the graveyards away!

message 26: by ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (last edited Oct 07, 2013 03:26PM) (new) - added it

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Oh yummmmmy, thanks!!! *Snatches the yummy drink and runs away*

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Oh goodness, end of this month, huh? Okay, sure. Twist my arms, guys. I'm totally in :D:D I just don't know *how* I'm going to read it, but I'll certainly try!

Anima Miejska | 757 comments I've finished and I find this story a really well-written entertaining piece. I will definitely join in for the next part.

I really like Harper and Tolliver, they are very interesting characters and with a lot of possibilities to develop, I also like the explanation of Harper's gift and various reactions to her "job". Thus the story seems to be more real.

I also like the setting, a small town, everybody knows everybody, a gripping paranormal cosy mystery.

Thanks for choosing this book for a buddy read, I had a real pleasure reading it :)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4756 comments I agree, Anima. I can't wait for the next book! (which we might start around the end of the month? Or next month?)

Leslie | 149 comments I'm going to sit down tonight and read the last chapter. I hope it will cheer me up after the depressing show I watched tonight.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments What show was that, Leslie?

Leslie | 149 comments Oddly enough it was Glee.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Aww the Corey ep... I haven't had a chance to watch yet.

message 34: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

So excited that another one of my local libraries has downloadable audiobooks which includes this one! So just 4 more hours of Augie March to go and I will download this :)

Leslie | 149 comments Nicole wrote: "Aww the Corey ep... I haven't had a chance to watch yet."

Tissues should be near by as you watch. I think I cried the whole hour which is unlike me. Tv doesn't usually make me cry.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I totally cried the whole episode. Then I couldn't remember which thread we'd been having this conversation in so I went through them all till I found it.

The whole time, I was also thinking how different it was to if it had been a character only death. He would have been sitting in the chair that Puck was singing to and stuff. And how much more sad it was that he wasn't

I don't think I'll watch that episode again. At least not for a very long time.

Leslie | 149 comments Yeah I don't think I'll watch that one again either. It was really different then if it was just a character that died. Like you could tell the actors weren't acting, that they were really grieving. I really broke down during that last scene.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4756 comments Agreed. I've seen it once. That's plenty.

But I might download some of the songs. Lol

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I'm really glad I had you two to talk about it with afterwards. None of my friends have seen the episode yet.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Grave Surprise's thread is now set here. Starting date October 28th

:o)

message 41: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Oct 16, 2013 12:30AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ok so I've just finished chapter 4

Initial thoughts
I like it. She reminds me in some ways of Kate Daniels, but that is probably just because I finished reading Magic Burns and both characters are pretty much dont-care-what-others-think type people.
I find there are much more similarities for me to Georgia and Shaun Mason from the Newsflesh Trilogy. Even down to her loving Coke (or Diet Coke in this case). I just really hope we don't end up with a brother & sister romance in this one. I know they are only "step" siblings, but there just seem to be so many books at the moment that make this happen

Enjoying it so far, a bit of fun, but I'm struggling to see how it can be made into a series. I guess there is much more to come in this book

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments I shall not spoil. I shall not spoil.

There is no brother and sister romance in this book, I swear.

Plus, it was written in 2006. Last one was published back in 2009.

message 43: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

*phew* I'm so glad to hear that!!

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Naww, I actually really loved the idea that there was brother sister romance in it down the track. Now I'm a little disappointed.

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10173 comments Nicole wrote: "Naww, I actually really loved the idea that there was brother sister romance in it down the track. Now I'm a little disappointed."

Sorry Nicole. I'll guess we need to continue with the series :P

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Hah, guess so ;)

message 47: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lol Nicole!!

message 48: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I forgot to leave my final thoughts on this one...

I thought the conclusion was a bit over-the-top not exactly believable, but the book was still quite fun and I enjoyed the character development. (view spoiler)
It will be good to see how their back stories and characters continue to develop in the next book

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Grave Sight (other topics)
Grave Surprise (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Charlaine Harris (other topics)