Just for Fun > Fictional Character Extreme Makeovers

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11966 comments Mod
Update a character or two from a book set in the
past. Place the characters in today's culture—and
invent a new life.

Example: Lydia Bennett (Pride & Prejudice) considers Cosmo great literature and Sex &
the City serious drama. She hits the clubs,
wears designer knock-offs and has Big Hair.
Her eyes are always peeled for Mr. Big.

Example: Jay Gatsby (The Great Gatsby) takes twice-weekly elocution lessons (The Rain in Spain....). He's fastidious—flosses 3 times/day
and wears only Armani. Listens to rap in private but forces himself to attend the opera, alone.
Was a big player in a Wall Street hedge fund but managed to avoid indictment...so far.

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments ROTFLOL! I won't be able to come up with anything as witty as those examples but I eagerly wait to see what others come up with!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Omg this looks like so much fun! I am trying to think up one to post tomorrow ha!

message 4: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 537 comments This does sound fun - I'll have to think!

message 5: by Alannah (new)

This was harder than I first thought.

The Wife of Bath in The Canterbury Tales

A fashion designer who loves to gossip especially about marriage and sex as she considers herself quite the expert as she has been married five times. Could be the next Georgia May Jagger with her riches and the gap between her front teeth.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Miss Havisham from Great Expectations

Miss Havisham survives her burns and manages to get skin grafts on the NHS. She becomes a spokesperson for a major burns charity, as well as a beneficiary of many hospital burns units. This catapults her into the public eye. Havisham is eventually invited by Vera Wang to be a guest wedding dress designer and models the dress she co-designed (named 'The Estella') at Wang's Fall 2013 Bridal Show.

message 7: by Alannah (new)

Becca wrote: "Miss Havisham from Great Expectations

Miss Havisham survives her burns and manages to get skin grafts on the NHS. She becomes a spokesperson for a major burns charity, as well as a beneficiary of..."

Love this one.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Alannah wrote: "Becca wrote: "Miss Havisham from Great Expectations

Miss Havisham survives her burns and manages to get skin grafts on the NHS. She becomes a spokesperson for a major burns charity, as well as a ..."

Haha thanks, I like yours too! :-) took me so long to think up! It was so much fun though and thinking about it made my day go quicker ;-)

message 9: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Becca wrote: "Miss Havisham from Great Expectations

Miss Havisham survives her burns and manages to get skin grafts on the NHS. She becomes a spokesperson for a major burns charity, as well as a beneficiary of..."

The mind boggles..... But what will Magwitch be doing?

message 10: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Ok Magwitch delivered some drugs as a boy on a bike to get his brothers kids some food. Got caught for this and sent to Borstal or the current equivalent. From there a life of crime beckoned and, being dyslexic education passed him by. After several spells in prion someone finally picked up his disability and helped him get some qualifications. He turned out to be a computer whizz and designed a rival game to Mortal Combat which made him a millionaire. Failure to pay taxes leads to him going on the run where he encounters the young pip who loves his game and has got an impossibly high score..... How will that do?

message 11: by Alannah (new)

Not a bad one for Magwitch

message 12: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Alannah it must be your turn!

message 13: by Alannah (new)

Thomas Gradgrind, Hard Times

A wealthy MP who believe in nothing but cold, hard facts. Can be watching or reading the political news but hates any celebrity gossip magazines. Is usually heard before he is seen because of his booming voice which would remind children of that scary headmaster.

message 14: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments I like it. Don't know Hard Times though do you recommend reading?

message 15: by Alannah (new)

Tweedledum wrote: "I like it. Don't know Hard Times though do you recommend reading?"

I really liked it although a lot of people I know really didn't like it. I would recommend it but out of the novels I have read by Charles Dickens, I prefer Great Expectations.

message 16: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments There's no shortage of wonderful Dickens characters to choose from!

Since we're reading Edwin Drood I'm wondering about Durdles.....

message 17: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I'd give Charlie Brown from the book Charlie Brown goes to camp a makeover and have him wear his signature yellow shirt with the black zigzag on it and blue jeans with some sketchers.

message 18: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Good idea Amber!

message 19: by Alannah (new)

Amber wrote: "I'd give Charlie Brown from the book Charlie Brown goes to camp a makeover and have him wear his signature yellow shirt with the black zigzag on it and blue jeans with some sketchers."

I don't think I have ever read that book.

message 20: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) It was a little kiddie book they did for the Charlie brown go to camp tv special.

message 21: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Thanks Tweedledum! ^_^

message 22: by Alannah (new)

Amber wrote: "It was a little kiddie book they did for the Charlie brown go to camp tv special."

Ah right.

message 23: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Charles Schultz did a lot of books with his Charlie brown comics in them that also were the holiday specials and regular tv animated specials.

message 24: by Tweedledum (last edited Aug 28, 2013 12:53PM) (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments You know there is a musical now called "You're a good man Charlie Brown" you can see a clip here:://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W05TPTkQ2yY

message 25: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Yes Tweedledum, I know. I saw a high school performance of it a few yrs ago. I liked it. ^_^

message 26: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments My son was MD on a London performance last year.

message 27: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) MD? Main director? if so, then that's cool.

message 28: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Back to the challenge:
Daniel Quilp from The Old Curiosity Shop starts adult life in a promising show biz career as a munchkin in the wizard of Oz but is sacked because he is discovered to be running a protection racket. Still the money he has illicitly acquired through this enables him to set up shop as a money lender to resting actors who quickly find that they are in his clutches and unlikely to ever work again.

message 29: by Alannah (new)

Tweedledum wrote: "Back to the challenge:
Daniel Quilp from The Old Curiosity Shop starts adult life in a promising show biz career as a munchkin in the wizard of Oz but is sacked because he is discovered to be runn..."

Not bad.

message 30: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Amber wrote: "MD? Main director? if so, then that's cool."
Musical director.

message 31: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Oh cool musical director. ^_^

message 32: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments Alannah wrote: "Tweedledum wrote: "Back to the challenge:
Daniel Quilp from The Old Curiosity Shop starts adult life in a promising show biz career as a munchkin in the wizard of Oz but is sacked because he is di..."

Your turn!

message 33: by Alannah (new)

Scarlett O’Hara, Gone with the Wind

With her remarkable talent for business and leadership, she takes over a sawmill company and is able to make huge profits despite the recession. While she loves being an independent woman with her own money, Scarlett still dreams of a handsome man to sweep her off her feet so she will never have to work another day in her life.

message 34: by Tweedledum (new)

Tweedledum  (tweedledum) | 2043 comments I like it!