SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)
This topic is about Vampire Academy
Para-Themed TV Shows & Movies > Book ↔ Movie: Vampire Academy

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments I know we've posted about this Book ↔ Movie previously, but I can't find it. I stumbled upon the trailer for the movie and I am a bit disappointed. I suck at picking people I think would be a good representation of a book character, but I really don't like some of the actor/tress choices. Hopefully, I'll like them more when I see the movie. I read the series years ago, so I may need to do a re-read of the first book before seeing it.

Here's the official website: http://va-movie.com/ I love the first page graphics - very cool. You can view the trailer there as well.

What do ya think of it? Will you go watch it?

message 2: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1586 comments Steph, I think I found the thread here.

FYI: There are now Two Ways to Search! By a word or name within a post (blue arrow), or by topic (red arrow)!

I did a search by topic.

Josie | 1967 comments You're not alone in being disappointed with the castings, I've seen many VA fans raging about it.

I'm probably going to see it (more fool me) though I feel like they're not going to follow the books very closely. I always find this bizarre, particularly with a book like this with a pretty big and loyal fan base. It seems very... high school-ish? As someone who loved the books when they came out, and prefered them to Twilight, I had hoped for a more medieval/castle/remote setting, with a serious atmosphere.

message 4: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments Thanks, Lisa Kay! Actually, that's a dead thread that we removed b/c it was a dup of info offered in another group. But, thanks!

GTK. I guess. LOL! I mean, bummer! But, glad I'm not the only one who thinks they aren't spot on castings.

Exactly! I'm with you on that. I was expecting it to be less HS-ish too. Again - bummer!

I really don't like it when a book is made into a movie and they don't follow the books closely. Wasn't that the reason it was decided to become a movie in the first place? The fan base for the book(s)? I'm so confused with all these "WOOOHOOOO! We're making a movie based on my books!" and then, "BOOOOOO! They aren't like the books at all!"

I've not always been a big reader, so I know from years of listening to my dad (who's a MAJOR Stephen King fan) and others that (1) the book is always better and (2) the movie isn't always the same as the book. But, *stomps feet* no fair! Waaah.

Josie | 1967 comments Exactly! They might as well make it to please the fans since they're the ones who are going to see it as soon as it comes out, would probably see it again, buy the DVD, buy the merchandise, see the next film etc. I have to give Twilight credit in the fact that the films followed the book extremely closely - too closely IMO! LOL waayyy too long, could've cut scenes out. But then again, I'm not the one who they should please since I'm not a "Twihard" or whatever they call them. I didn't even go to the cinema to see #4.

Nichole | 1199 comments Nooooo! I really liked that series. I realize it's a YA series but I imagined it as a little bit more mature. I have to say, that trailer was disappointing. I will probably still watch it but I'll wait until it comes out on DVD :)

And as far as books into movies, well that is a hard pill to swallow. I'm so often disappointed. I can deal with them leaving things out. I know you can't fit all those wonderful details that you get when you read into a movie. But I HATE it when they completely change or add things. It drives me crazy!

message 7: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments I agree, Josie, I think they did a good job sticking close to the Twilight books. I'm definitely not a Twihard either. I also agree that, at least initially, the fans of the books will be the ones who they should be aiming to please (audience wise). When they veer so far away from the book(s), it doesn't make sense to me.

Me too, Nichole! Grrrr!

message 8: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 1586 comments I've been always meaning to read this series. It is on audiobook, but not for my library...yet!

FlibBityFLooB | 169 comments I can honestly say after watching that trailer that I would not have known that I had read that series. It didn't seem at all like the books that I can recall.

Granted, it's been a few years for me since reading...

But, the trailer really didn't ring any bells. Looked a bit childisb,too.

I will likely watch it, but I will definitely wait for it to come on the movie channels or Netflix.

message 10: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I've been always meaning to read this series. It is on audiobook, but not for my library...yet!"

I really liked it. It was different, at the time. And, it didn't feel as YA as some YA series do.

FlibBityFLooB wrote: "I can honestly say after watching that trailer that I would not have known that I had read that series. It didn't seem at all like the books that I can recall."

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm sure I'll watch it, just not in the theater.

message 11: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments If the trailer wasn't bad enough, now they have this for their poster?? WT*everlovin'*F is that?! *headdesk*

(view spoiler)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments That's effing terrible! They must have no money and are too proud to reach out to the fans for a decent graphic designer willing to work for free or tickets to the premiere.

message 13: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments "They suck at school", really? That's their tagline? I really enjoyed this series and cannot believe that's the direction they are going with the movie.

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments From what I've seen, the girl playing Rose will be the best thing about it.

message 15: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments I'm sure I'll watch it, but only once it's free on TV.

message 16: by Paris (last edited Oct 17, 2013 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments Look at the tagline about who the director and writer are. That poster is very reminiscent of both of those movies.

Nichole | 1199 comments Laaaame! How disappointing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

message 18: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments I was thinking the same thing, Paris. :(

LOL Nichole!

Paris (pah13) | 1183 comments If it's like Heathers I'll be cool with that since Heathers is one of my all time favorite movies, but I was not a fan of Mean Girls so I'm hoping it's not like that.

message 20: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments Guess we'll see.

message 21: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments Earlier this month, Richelle Mead commented on the movie:

Richelle Mead answers some fan questions regarding the VA movie. Spoiler blocked more for space saving than spoilers, but I haven't read all of the Q&A, so there may be some in there for those who haven't read the book(s).

(view spoiler)

Today, I read Steph Sinclair's review of the movie on Tor.com. After seeing the trailers, I'd already decided to wait to watch the movie once it's free on TV. But, if I hadn't, her review would've pushed me in that direction.

Josie | 1967 comments Don't think it's being released here for a while which is weird. I'm not sure whether to watch it or if it'll ruin what for me was a good series.

message 23: by Steph, Just keep swimming … (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph (angel4492) | 28253 comments That is odd. I'm sure I'll eventually watch it, but I don't have high hopes. It'd be a shame if the movie kept people from reading the series.