Casual Readers discussion

Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1)
This topic is about Odd Thomas
Chit Chat > A fantasy with a male MC?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (last edited Aug 22, 2013 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally | 9 comments Hi all,

Kinda new here...so I'm Ally. And I've pretty much become a casual reader when I got my first full time job 2 years ago. Then I got way picky with my books.

Now I have a bit of a problem. I'm craving a fantasy-ish book where its narrated by a guy. Something along the lines of the "Odd Thomas" or " Vampire Chronicles - lestat" books.

Oh, & I didn't like the Dresden books....so any recommendations? Help
Thanks in advance:)

GeneralTHC HHave you read 11/22/63 by Stephen King . It's told in the first-person by a male voice.

Ally | 9 comments Nope. How good is it?

Ally | 9 comments Oh you rated it three stars...not very promising?

message 5: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Ally wrote: "Oh you rated it three stars...not very promising?"

I'd give it 5 very firm stars.:)

GeneralTHC Yeah, I should have given 4 in hindsight. But I tend to rate books in relation to one another. It's really good, I thought. I really liked it. I've read it twice.

GeneralTHC Haha, no I gave 11-22-63 5 stars. I gave ODD THOMAS 3 stars.

I knew that didn't sound right, lol.

Ally | 9 comments Ahhh..gotcha. Any more books incase I cant find this one? (or mass raid the nearest bookstore:)

GeneralTHC Sorry Ally, I'm drawing a blank here. I'm not real big on first person or fantasy.

Do you like horror? haha

GeneralTHC You know what Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon may fit the bill.

message 11: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally | 9 comments Hmm..I read " It" a few years ago and chugga-lugged the "Dark Tower" series so..why not?

message 12: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Light (goodreadscomadamlight) | 603 comments I second Boy's Life. That was a great read.

GeneralTHC Here are some horror books that I liked a lot. Have you read any of these?

The Ritual by Adam Nevill
14 by Peter Clines
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
The Taking by Dean Koontz
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Island by Richard Laymon

message 14: by Rick (new) - added it

Rick Shepard I have to check out Ritual. I loved Last Days.

message 15: by Ally (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ally | 9 comments No I haven't. I've had Joe Hill on my to read list for sometime though!

Patrick (Patn76) | 60 comments Good list, Chuck. There's a few I want to read there. One or two I already did or have on my list.

message 17: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin Adam wrote: "I second Boy's Life. That was a great read."

Indeed! I liked Boy's Life almost as much as Swan Song.

GeneralTHC Patrick wrote: "Good list, Chuck. There's a few I want to read there. One or two I already did or have on my list."

Thanks! It ought to be. I had to read several hundred books to come up with it, lol.

Rachel the Book Harlot | 63 comments Hmm, well the only books I can think of are:

*The John Cleaver trilogy: I Am Not A Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1) by Dan Wells Mr. Monster (John Cleaver, #2) by Dan Wells I Don't Want to Kill You (John Cleaver, #3) by Dan Wells

It's billed as YA but I found it quite adult and very, very dark. The protagonist is an antihero, sort of along the lines of Lestat. There are paranormal elements to the book, which some reviewers didn't like but I actually liked. :)

The other fantasy series you might like is the Sandman Slim series:

Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1) by Richard Kadrey Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2) by Richard Kadrey Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim, #3) by Richard Kadrey Devil Said Bang (Sandman Slim, #4) by Richard Kadrey Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim, #5) by Richard Kadrey

GeneralTHC I think I'm going to look into those books. Thanks Rachel!

message 21: by Courtney (last edited Aug 27, 2013 02:26AM) (new) - added it

Rachel the Book Harlot | 63 comments You're very welcome, Chuck! :)

Hockey Mama Nightrunner series
By Lynn Flewelling

Fist book
"Luck in the Shadows"

Hockey Mama The Name of the Wind
By Patrick Rothfuss

Angie | 623 comments I like the other Jim butcher books

furies of Calderon that's book one and there are six of them. They cover 12 years and in them we see Tavi grow up.