SCPL Teens discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Discussions > Best Summer Required Reading?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Seminole County Public Library (seminolecountypubliclibrary) | 119 comments Mod
Each year teens must tackle the “SUMMER READING ASSIGNMENT” *gasp*. Were there any titles that you actually loved that you might not have read otherwise?

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 2 comments I really enjoyed Jeanette Wall's memoir The Glass Castle.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved reading the book Ithaka.

message 4: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Orellana (DBOSSO) | 1 comments I love the Gregor the overlander series by susan Collins.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily Rose | 4 comments Last year I had to read a selection of short stories from "Fantastic Worlds," a collection of short stories spanning all genres. My favorite from there was EPICAC by Kurt Vonnegut, which is a touching love story triangle thing between a mathematician, his beloved, and the computer he works with called EPICAC. It's what got me into reading more of Kurt Vonnegut, whom I immensely recommend.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (Lightningsfire) | 2 comments Dylan wrote: "I love the Gregor the overlander series by susan Collins."

I loved that book. I read the whole series, except I missed The Prophecy of Bane because it was missing from the library.

Gregor the Overlander
Gregor and the Prophecy of BaneGregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods

message 7: by Lizzy K (new)

Lizzy K | 8 comments I read the book Far from You for the summer reading program. I totally loved it. A great book to read.

message 8: by Yasmine (new)

Yasmine Neal-hillery | 1 comments I love the book called rumor has it

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Gump | 2 comments I was required to read Old School by Tobias Wolff for AP Lang and it proved to be a rather interesting read.

message 10: by Bethany (new)

Bethany McLain (bethanyandbooks) | 4 comments To Kill a Mocking Bird, indefinitely

message 11: by Lizzy K (new)

Lizzy K | 8 comments If you think your life sucks, then read "A Piece of Cake" by Cupcake Brown! Her life was so messed up, but the courage that she had allowed her to denounce the world around her the right to bring her down! This has got to be one of the most empowering, uplifting, heartbreaking, painstaking book in the world! If I ever meet you Cupcake Brown, I wouldn't know whether to hug you, thank you, smack you, yell at you, cry, or love you! I think out of all of those l, the loving would come first, because woman, you are just amazing!:)

message 12: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Feld | 1 comments So right now I have to read the book The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey. It has an amazing plot line, and you can't stop reading. The characters keep this amazing novel flowing, so you can have different questions and surprises while reading! I recommend this book, since there is a questions you will have at the end of the book, maybe. I won't spoil the book for you. Hope you read it!!!

message 13: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Ward | 1 comments I just finished reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. I never would've thought to read this book if it were not required, but i am very glad it was the Summer reading selection for AP Lit this year! I became addicted to the book and couldn't put it down. There was never a dull moment. The book gave me a whole new perspective on Africa, trials missionaries can easily endure in a foreign land, and what it means to truly find yourself. After reading it, I felt truly thankful to live in a country that has fresh water, food, and excellent medical care. Needless to say, this book is quite an eye opener. I highly recommend this book for any teen and young adult!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.