Weekly Short Stories Contest and Company! discussion

Writing and Publishing > Publication Announcements (No Soliciting Allowed!)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 249 (249 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by M (new)

M | 11047 comments This is a thread in which to announce that you’ve had a story, poem, or book published, and receive congratulations. You may furnish a link. You may not, however, advertise or attempt to sell, and posts in violation will be deleted.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim Agustin (jim_pascual_agustin) | 625 comments Ok, here goes...

My new book, Sound Before Water, Sound Before Water by Jim Pascual Agustin is finally out. The official announcement from my publisher, University of Santo Tomas Publishing House, should be out soon.

Thanks for all your support!

message 3: by M (new)

M | 11047 comments Congratulations, Jim!

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim Agustin (jim_pascual_agustin) | 625 comments thanks, M! I am still waiting for my copy...

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Agustin (jim_pascual_agustin) | 625 comments thank you, Al!

message 6: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5334 comments Excellent, Jim! Your shout for a beer :)

message 7: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) | 2869 comments Congratulations, Jim! That's so awesome!

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim Agustin (jim_pascual_agustin) | 625 comments Ryan and Kat thanks!!!! Wish I could get a pirate party ship with all you guys to launch my book!!! :D

message 9: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) | 2869 comments OMG that'd be amazing. :D

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, Jim, congratulations! :))

message 11: by Zack (last edited Sep 30, 2013 09:31PM) (new)

Zack I second the pirate party ship. Congrats, Jim.

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim Agustin (jim_pascual_agustin) | 625 comments Kat wrote: "OMG that'd be amazing. :D" I'll keep wishing!

Leslie, thanks. It shouldn't be too hard for you to get this new book... and the others now. :) ooops, did i just solicit?

Zack, there's actually a pirate party ship here in Cape Town - we took our kids there once. There was a little show. Limited actors/acting but it made the ride around the harbour more interesting. And yes, it had a pirate flag and cannons, too! The WSS crew could definitely put up a finer show. hahaha.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol, sorry for 'complaining' before :P and no, you didn't solicit. Looking forward to my trip to the bookstore, yey! :D

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim Agustin (jim_pascual_agustin) | 625 comments I put out the official announcement on my blog
http://matangmanok.wordpress.com/2013...

message 15: by C. J., Atm Seeker in the "Lin Kuei" (new)

C. J. Scurria (goodreadscomcj_scurria) | 4214 comments Congrats, Jim! That is exciting!!!

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim Agustin (jim_pascual_agustin) | 625 comments Thank you, CJ! I wish my publisher would hasten putting out e-book versions, too.

message 17: by Jocelyn (Ducky) (new)

Jocelyn (Ducky) (ducky113) Alex (Al) wrote: "Sweet!

Yes, we could totally put on a better show than those amateurs. Sit around, read poetry, have the mice do some dances, drink rum...and more rum, get the mice drunk. Ah, that'd be the life."

That isn't the life?

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim Agustin (jim_pascual_agustin) | 625 comments Alex (Al) wrote: "Sweet!

Yes, we could totally put on a better show than those amateurs. Sit around, read poetry, have the mice do some dances, drink rum...and more rum, get the mice drunk. Ah, that'd be the life."

:)

message 20: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5334 comments Fantastic news, Jim! You are definitely on a (well-deserved) roll! I'm really happy for you, mate.

message 21: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) | 2869 comments Yay, Jim, that's fantastic!

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim Agustin (jim_pascual_agustin) | 625 comments Thanks,Ryan and Kat! This one was a really nice surprise.

message 23: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) | 2869 comments I'm glad :D Those are always the best. :)

message 24: by Jim (new)

Jim Agustin (jim_pascual_agustin) | 625 comments M,... not sure if this post will be deleted... so tell me if I have to edit it please?

-o-

One of my poems has been included in an anthology to raise funds in aid of those devastated by super typhoon Yolanda (international name Haiyan) in the Philippines.

The publisher, Meritage Press, sent me the following announcement.

-o-

VERSES TYPHOON YOLANDA: A Storm of Filipino Poets

Editor: Eileen R. Tabios

ISBN: 978-0-9826493-6-7

Price: $20 for print book

Publisher: Meritage Press (San Francisco & St. Helena, CA)

For more information: http://versestyphoonyolanda.blogspot.com

For queries: MeritagePress@aol.com

Meritage Press is pleased to announce the forthcoming release of a fundraising anthology for the survivors of Super Typhoon Yolanda. We expect that VERSES TYPHOON YOLANDA will be available for orders in the March/April timeframe. Meanwhile, Meritage Press would like to sponsor a Pre-Publication Special that will offer the book at a lower price than after the book’s release.

For this Pre-Publication Special good through March 31, 2014, send $19 per book via a check made out to “Meritage Press” to

Eileen Tabios

P.O. Box 361

St. Helena, CA 94574

You can order as many books as you wish. Unfortunately, this Special is only available to addresses within the United States as Meritage Press will pick up shipping/handling costs (usually a $4-$6 value), as well as California tax for California recipients.

The books will be mailed to recipients once the book is released. All profits will be donated for Yolanda relief.

While the book had a fundraising versus purely literary impetus, the contributions of 133 poets also created a book that’s useful for highlighting the talents of contemporary Filipino poets from around the world. Here are some “Advance Words” from poet-scholar-critic-editor Susan M. Schultz:

VERSES TYPHOON YOLANDA: A Storm of Filipino Poets:

This is a book about a destructive typhoon named Yolanda, or Haiyan, which caused massive damage to the Philippines in November, 2013. This is a sprawling book of poems about family, loss, art, economy, greed, love, grief, theft, militarism, colonialism, typhoon tourism, deforestation, stray dogs, survivors, rubble, donations, propaganda, looting, journalists, dead children, helicopters, rain, disembowelment, black bags, conquerors, catastrophe, “the republic of the drowned” (Luisa A. Igloria). This is a book in English, Filipino, Cebuano, Waray, Hiligaynon, Bisaya. This is a book by poets who teach, poets who study, a poet who drives a tricycle for a living, poets who work for NGOs, poets who are school children. This is a book by 133 Filipino poets who live in the Philippines, the United States, Britain, the Netherlands, South Africa, elsewhere. What is diaspora but the aftermath of storm? All profits from this book will be donated to relief organizations. “Aid is art,” writes Simeon Dumdum, Jr. Now art will aid survivors of the storm.

—Susan M. Schultz, poet and editor of Tinfish

For more information: MeritagePress@aol.com

message 25: by Edward (last edited Nov 07, 2014 05:38AM) (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Recently publish a short story on Amazon: The Prosecution of Harvey Oakland

'Tis free through Tuesday, so if you're even a little interest, pick it up sooner rather than later:

Special Agent Seamus Bormann was happier before being transfer to FBI's Special Case Division, where he must secretly solve cases in which murders are committed with the power of thought, and now he must face his toughest challenge yet: Put together a case to prosecute Harvey Oakland, a man who killed his friend with appears to be incontrovertibly natural causes.

message 26: by M (new)

M | 11047 comments Congratulations, Edward! May it be the first in a long list of publications.

message 27: by April (new)

April Freeman YAY!

message 28: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5334 comments Great news, Edward. Well done, that's quite an achievement. I'll head over to Amazon shortly. Congratulations!

message 29: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5334 comments On a much less grand scale, I've just found out that one of the haiku poems I wrote on this site has been shortlisted in the annual Writers' Magazine Haiku Competition.

message 30: by M (new)

M | 11047 comments Congratulations, Ryan! Participation in the haiku thread pays off in many ways.

message 31: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5334 comments Thank you, M. I have to agree-writing haiku is extremely rewarding.

Being shortlisted is a direct credit to the WSS haiku thread. I'd never written one before joining and it was only due to the help and support of you and Guy that I persevered. So, thanks!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Congratulations Edward :) Got my copy already and started reading the first few pages. I find the story interesting. I'm going to finish reading it after NaNo.

Congratulations, Ryan! :D

message 33: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5334 comments Thank you, Leslie SpeedWriter :)

message 34: by Edward (new)

Edward (edwardtheresejr) | 2434 comments Thanks, everyone, and congratulations Ryan.

message 35: by Jim (new)

Jim Agustin (jim_pascual_agustin) | 625 comments Ryan wrote: "On a much less grand scale, I've just found out that one of the haiku poems I wrote on this site has been shortlisted in the annual Writers' Magazine Haiku Competition."

Congratulations, Ryan!!!

message 36: by C. J., Atm Seeker in the "Lin Kuei" (new)

C. J. Scurria (goodreadscomcj_scurria) | 4214 comments That's wonderful. Great job to both Edward AND Ryan...!

message 37: by Alex (new)

Alex Morritt (alexmorritt) | 287 comments Hi, I have just published a short story collection as a Kindle edition entitled Impromptu Scribe A sample short story -'Words in the Wind'- recently featured in 'Revue' magazine, can be accessed via the Goodreads 'Read an excerpt' link beneath the image of my book cover. Anyone particularly interested in this genre and willing to write a review, please contact me. Thanks.

message 38: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5334 comments M's poem, 'She Left Me Only', is a finalist in this month's Goodreads Newsletter Poetry Contest,

Congratulations, M! It is a stunning poem and worthy of being a finalist.

For anyone who would like to read and vote, here's the link:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 39: by Garrison (new)

Garrison Kelly (cybador) | 9063 comments So THAT'S what M's real name is. Hehe! Congratulations on the accolade, M! :)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

M!!! Congratulations! Hugs! :)

message 41: by M (new)

M | 11047 comments Thank you!

message 42: by M (new)

M | 11047 comments I don’t mind getting trounced by Jan. She is really good.

message 43: by M (last edited Mar 16, 2015 05:14AM) (new)

M | 11047 comments Somebody’s poem “The Old Municipal Pool” has been published in Ryan’s blog Days of Stone:

https://daysofstone.wordpress.com/fea...

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Wohoo! Congratulations, M! Very nice, Ryan :)

message 45: by Garrison (new)

Garrison Kelly (cybador) | 9063 comments That's a beautiful poem, M. Urban decay can be heartbreaking, just as it was in that piece of writing. Ryan was right to feature you for March.

message 46: by M (new)

M | 11047 comments Thank you, Leslie and Garrison! The pool and its setting reminded me of a slower, quieter time, when the town was much smaller. Roads were fewer and in that area lined with drowsing neighborhoods. The grounds of a grade school, with buildings in Greek Revival and Jacobean style, overlooked the pool. The school was demolished when they built a highway through there.

message 47: by Edward (last edited Mar 23, 2015 04:37PM) (new)

Edward Davies | 1727 comments It isn't really news, but I self published a short novel a few years back.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

If any one is interested I'd love to hear their thoughts on it.

message 48: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5334 comments Hi All. I just had a poem win first prize (published and £100) in Writers Forum Magazine in the UK.

I mention it here as inspiration - in its infancy, the poem was titled 'The Unforgiven' and written in response to the prompt for Week 241.

Without the WSS, it is most unlikely the poem would ever have been written.

Happy writing :)

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, Ryan. Congratulations! :)

message 50: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5334 comments Thank you, Leslie.

Thank you, Yusra. Beautiful photo, too :)

« previous 1 3 4 5