Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation Eats, Shoots & Leaves discussion

Do you understand?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle Tremblay Do you understand this?

what is is what is not is not is it it is

And this?

What is is. What is not is not. Is it? It is.

Stephen Yes. I understand it better with punctuation. But I read the entire book and still have no idea why the hash tag (tic tac toe thingee) that divides a space into nine boxes is called a octothorpe. Now... a nonathorpe I could get...

message 3: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle Tremblay Stephen wrote: "Yes. I understand it better with punctuation. But I read the entire book and still have no idea why the hash tag (tic tac toe thingee) that divides a space into nine boxes is called a octothorpe. N..."

I have not read the book still. In French, we usually call it "dièse" (sharp) or symbole du numéro (number symbol or sign). Much simpler. And you're not the only one not to know where that "octothorpe" comes from precisely.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/octothorpe

But it was the first time that someone called it tic tac toe thingee. lollll

Do you know that if you begin a tic tac toe, you can win all the time if you know the method? But that's another subject. Is there a thread for old stupid games? lollll

Eamonn Hickson I read this book on holiday, and when my girlfriend asked what was I reading, I answered, "A book on punctuation."

I tried to explain that it was not as nerdy as it sounded, but to no avail. :)

Great book.

message 5: by Danny (new)

Danny Tyran Eamonn wrote: "Not exactly the typical beach reading.:) ..."

David Feela The book made me want to carry a black magic marker like a cell phone on my belt, then do live text-editing, but I think I'd be too bashful to actually correct public signs. Here in America I'd likely get arrested for defacing private property.

message 7: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle Tremblay David wrote: "The book made me want to carry a black magic marker like a cell phone on my belt, then do live text-editing, but I think I'd be too bashful to actually correct public signs. Here in America I'd li..."

If you begin that, it could be fun, but you risk not to have time to do anything else. Too much to do. ;)

Arrested? Is it worse than graffiti?

David Feela Danielle wrote: "David wrote: "The book made me want to carry a black magic marker like a cell phone on my belt, then do live text-editing, but I think I'd be too bashful to actually correct public signs. Here in ..."
Too much to do...indeed.
As a former English teacher, I suspect the reaction would be the same as when I tell strangers I'm a former English teacher: They either clam up, go comma-tose, apologize for sins of the past, or they begin to recite the litany of crimes perpetrated against them by former English teachers!

message 9: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle Tremblay Poor former English teacher! My native language is French and there is no one here to speak English with. I know that I often make a lot of mistakes. So you can use your magic marker and correct my posts as much as you like. :)

message 10: by Stephen (last edited Sep 09, 2013 08:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stephen David wrote: "... they begin to recite the litany of crimes perpetrated against them by former English teachers! "

I liked the Comma-tose comment. Personally I've got a comma sutra poster I'm sure you'd enjoy... unless you've suffered "A total ellipsis of the heart."

I hope you all know about the Language and Grammar group. http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...

message 11: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle Tremblay Stephen wrote: "David wrote: "... they begin to recite the litany of crimes perpetrated against them by former English teachers! "

I liked the Comma-tose comment. Personally I've got a comma sutra poster I'm sure..."

"comma sutra"? lollll

David Feela Danielle wrote: "Poor former English teacher! My native language is French and there is no one here to speak English with. I know that I often make a lot of mistakes. So you can use your magic marker and correct my..."

Lucky former English teacher! Classes have begun and I am retired. All I have to do is work on my own writing, but you are bilingual (at least), and in what I think is the most beautiful language on the planet.

David Feela Stephen wrote: "David wrote: "... they begin to recite the litany of crimes perpetrated against them by former English teachers! "

I liked the Comma-tose comment. Personally I've got a comma sutra poster I'm sure..."

I try to stay out of positions that compromise my integrity...and thanks for the group lead. Looks like a lively bunch.