Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Language & Translation Issues > Yiddish? German? Help please

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cyn (new)

Cyn Armistead (technomom) | 159 comments I came across Oysgeklibene Mayses while working on the author Tony Hillerman. So far, I've been able to determine that despite what amazon.com says, he isn't the author. I corrected the authors to match amazon.de, which says it's by the Brothers Grimm and two other people (translators? I'm not sure).

What I don't know is the language in which the book is written. One site says German, while another says Yiddish. None of the German to English or Yiddish to English translation sites I tried does anything with the title, so it might be yet another language.

Help, please?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44985 comments Mod
That's Yiddish (especially with an author named Shloyme!) This better cover view shows it on the cover!

The text on that page is in German.

message 3: by an. (new)

an. (anaisraav) | 30 comments The description, although in German, says that the stories are in Yiddish. (And "mayses" stands for "stories" in Yiddish, or at least my dictionary states so.)

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited May 19, 2009 01:54PM) (new)

Babelfish tells me the description reads as: 12 Grimm Brothers' fairy tales translated into Yiddish. Contains both the Latin and Hebrew alphabet. (That is, the Yiddish is written both in English letters and Hebrew ones.)

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I fixed the description, uploaded a better cover image, and added "translator" to the two translators.

message 6: by Cyn (new)

Cyn Armistead (technomom) | 159 comments Thank you!