GRRM's A Song of Ice & Fire Appreciation Book Club discussion

All About Books > What fantasy series are you reading or have read?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 97 comments I'm in the process of re-reading ASOIAF, actually. I'll be starting A Feast for Crows soon. The only one I haven't read yet is ADWD.

Great thread, Kenny.:)

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) Kenny, have you read The Lord of the Rings? Or The Chronicles of Narnia?
Enjoy Hogwarts!

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22 comments Lisa is absolutely right: Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia are really great - and also totally different reads.

I wanted to suggest The Elves Series by Bernhard Hennen but I looked it up and it seems it's not available in English but only in German - I presume you do not read german books, do you? It's really great high fantasy and the worldbuilding as well as the story telling is one of a kind.

message 4: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 97 comments Indeed, Narnia and LOTR are sure to give many pleasant hours of sheer joy, IMO!

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessicameaney) I love fantasy, I've read a lot in the last few years! The Far Seer trilogy is great, but be prepared to keep reading, there are 2 other trilogies set in the same world then a 4 part series as well that all links together, Robin Hobb is a fantastic author!

I like long series, I really loved James Barclay's Raven series, 7 books altogether, then a sort of prequel, same world 3000 years before, his Elves series - very very good. And another 2 part series of his (huge Barclay fan :D)

I've read one of Guy Gavriel Kay's trilogies, The Fionavar Tapestry, and I loved it so hoping to get back to his books again some time.
I've also read Patrick Rothfuss' first two books of his trilogy, final one yet to be released - could not recommend them enough if anyone is looking for fantasy books :)

I re-read Harry Potter every year, and Narnia and LOTR every couple of years... Hoping to tackle Jordan's Wheel of Time Series after I finish ASOIAF :)

Really want to read that Bernhard Hennen series now but my German would not be good enough for a fantasy series I don't think :P

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Stockton | 19 comments I have read the Eragon (Inheritance Cycle) and that was a really interesting read

message 7: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 97 comments Melanie wrote: "I have read the Eragon (Inheritance Cycle) and that was a really interesting read"

I liked the Inheritance Cycle quite a bit.. until the third book, which could have been told in about half the time, IMO. And Inheritance was a vast disappointment...

message 8: by Dniss (last edited Sep 10, 2013 10:28AM) (new)

Dniss (denissebooklover) Hi!
I have read the Inheritance Cycle, the Harry Potter series, Narnia, and Im currently reading ASOIAF
I also enjoy dystopian series like The Hunger Games, now Im reading Divergent by Veronica Roth!

message 9: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 97 comments Hi, Denisse!

Enjoy ASOIAF.:) Happy reading!

message 10: by Thita (new)

Thita | 1 comments Dustin wrote: "Melanie wrote: "I have read the Eragon (Inheritance Cycle) and that was a really interesting read"

I liked the Inheritance Cycle quite a bit.. until the third book, which could have been told in a..."

I am so agree with you, Dustin. The first and second books are great, but the third was meh and I just read the fourth because I just can't stand not finishing the story. Not that I like the way it ended though.

Currently I am reading ASOIAF, I am almost finished AFfC. I also have read and loved Harry Potter, Narnia, His Dark Materials, Percy Jackson, The Kane Chronicles, Heroes of Olympus. I just read Temeraire, and I thought it's an awesome opening to the series (although the series seems to be prolonged with 8 books).

message 11: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 97 comments Thita wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Melanie wrote: "I have read the Eragon (Inheritance Cycle) and that was a really interesting read"

I liked the Inheritance Cycle quite a bit.. until the third book, which could have..."

Thank you, Thita, I appreciate you saying so.:) I just think that it started off well, with much promise, but Paolini bogs the reader down with literally hundreds of pages of needless details. And I hated the ending of the last book!! 116 pages of anti-climatic filler, IMO!!

message 12: by John (new)

John | 4 comments Aside from G.R.R. Martin's books, there are so many great series and authors out there. Some of my favorites are: J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings/Hobbit books; Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series; Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time; David Eddings Belgariad; R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt Do'Urden books...the list could go on. All of them will keep you immersed for hours on end.

message 13: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 97 comments John wrote: "Aside from G.R.R. Martin's books, there are so many great series and authors out there. Some of my favorites are: J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings/Hobbit books; Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth S..."

Sounds great, John!

message 14: by Clare (new)

Clare (claresbooks) Guess who just bought clash of kings!

message 15: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 97 comments Clare wrote: "Guess who just bought clash of kings!"

Yaay, for you! I'm so happy, Clare!!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) I have read ASOIF. I have read Narnia. I am not a fan of Tolkein. Sorry. I am a huge fan of Raymond E. Feist and Mercedes Lackey. I haven't read the Inheritance Cycle. I did have them but I donated them. I have read "Mists of Avalon". I have read some Arthurian retellings. I have read some David Eddings. I have read the "Accorna" series. and "Catalyst" and Catacombs" by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Scarborough. I have been reading Fantasy for 22 years. I tried Tad Williams but I can't stand him. I also have some of "Sword of Truth" series. Of course I have read Harry Potter.

message 17: by Jack (new)

Jack | 4 comments Reading ASOIAF, read Codex Alera, Eregon (YA I know), Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter,Pern, Wizard of Earthsea, Rirya revelations, bunch of Star Wars books and pretty much anything I get my hands on

GRRM's A Song of Ice & Fire Appreciation Book Club

unread topics | mark unread