Time Travel discussion

Member Introductions > Greetings

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean Randall (seanrandall) | 2 comments Hello everyone,

Just dropping a quick hello!, hopefully into the right place for it. I've not participated in groups on Goodreads before, so I'm hoping to join in with the next time travel read.

I live in a rural part of the UK, work in a slightly-less rural part of the UK and have a fiancee who enjoys romance novels (and only sci-fi or fantasy if it's "funny"), a 2 year old daughter (who gets read to a lot but has yet to develop her own tastes) and a guide dog (because I'm blind).

I trust I'll find many interesting and enjoyable reads from this group and look forward to joining in next time. :)

Sean.

message 2: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Welcome Sean:

Any true explorer eagerly accepted & check out all the threads & add some posts.

message 3: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Smith (garrettsmith) | 246 comments Welcome Sean:

Your bio, and that of your family, sound like a great addition to the group.

All the best,
Garrett Smith

message 4: by Tej (new)

Tej (theycallmemrglass) | 1725 comments Mod
Welcome Sean! Nice to have a fellow Brit on board, Im envying your rural environment as I have the window open greeted with the noise of yet another london high rise tower under construction.

I hope enjoy the group as much as i do :)

Wow, you are a prolific reviewer and a good one too, congrats on being a top 60 Gr reviewer.

message 5: by Sean (new)

Sean Randall (seanrandall) | 2 comments Thanks everyone for the welcome! I don't get as much time as I once did; the joys of children and employment, though copious, do detract from book time. I started using Goodreads really as a way to catalogue my own reading, and tend to end up righting long reviews about books I enjoy a great deal. Looking forward to chiming in as topics come up. :)

message 6: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod
Welcome to the Time Travel group Sean!

We are currently reading The Many-Coloured Land although we began on August first and its a longer book so we are pushing it for a six week period to September 15.

There is poll to pick our next group read. The theme this month is "Not Quite Time Travel" the poll is here:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/8...

Garrett Smithis doing a giveaway of their book Rabbit Hole
Rabbit Hole (The Paradox Series, #1) by Garrett Smith

The thread is here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

I am told there is a Thor 2 thread that I should stay away from for health reasons...I warn you but if you choose to go there its on you: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

I notice you list Brandon Sanderson as one of your favorite authors...if you notice my avatar is actually the cover of The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Way of Kings.

I have read pretty much everything he has ever written except his young adult Alcatraz series. What do you think about Mistborn, Elantris, Way of Kings, Warbreaker...

Here is a question I should ask a Brandon Sanderson super fan...Sanderson has stated his books exist in the same universe but occur on different planets...and has admitted that one character goes between books...Hode in Warbreaker...claims to be from "Where gods die" which works for both Warbreaker and Mistborn. Also, the Wit in Way of Kings is the "teleporter" character....Your thoughts?

Again welcome to the group...I hope you enjoy and contribute.

Lincoln

message 7: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Gelsheimer (gelsheimerkeats) | 25 comments Hi everyone! I'm new to the Time Travel group, too! Already had posted my book in the Time Travel Books by Members, but forgot to say hello first! Ha! I'm always doing things backwards! Look forward to getting to know some of you! Heading to back to 1773 now for some tea! - Aurora Conspiracy

message 8: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Smith (garrettsmith) | 246 comments Welcome, Ginger. You've joined a great group! We are enjoying it so much.

message 9: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Welcome Ginger...

Go ahead and go back in time and read what I wrote to Sean to see what all is going on in the group...and if you happen to be a Brandon Sanderson fan as well go ahead and answer those questions as well...

message 10: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Welcome to our group. Lincoln's given the long introduction, so you have lots to get you started. Please jump in our discussions without any hesitation!

I know this is a silly question, but I have to ask it because it's one of those little non-official surveys I've got going in my head. Do you actually say the phrase "greetings" to people out loud in real life or do you only ever write the word "greetings"? It seems that there is one type of person who only writes it and another type that both writes and says it. However, the second type seems a little more rare these days.

message 11: by Tej (new)

Tej (theycallmemrglass) | 1725 comments Mod
I know many people who write Greetings but never say it aloud. I dont think I have come across anyone who do apart from the odd film character in a period setting, most recent I recall being King Shultz in Django at the beginning (sorry I remember that one clearly because I've seen the movie four times)

My Grandfather always wrote salutations! He sure as hell never said it though.

Sean only used Greetings in the Subject heading, though, not in his addressing us.

message 12: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Tej wrote: "I know many people who write Greetings but never say it aloud. I dont think I have come across anyone who do apart from the odd film character in a period setting, most recent I recall being King ..."

I have a friend whose brother says it aloud on a regular basis. Thus the informal survey when I see it written. :-)

message 13: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Nope just said it out loud and it sounded funny...

message 14: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Lincoln stated he 'said it out loud and it sounded funny...'

No problem:

All words are just symbols & ineffective if their meaning lacks consensus.

Greetings are often exuberant & exaggerated for effect & this has more to do with current fad as opposed to elegance or precision (Whatzzzzzzup?).

Beyond salutation, flashy language may be employed for cadence over brevity; ‘Four score & seven years ago’ does flow better than ‘eighty-seven years ago’ but I doubt Lincoln (the President not our group member) used such a phrase in everyday conversation, that's not the point.

Still, in Time Travel, knowing the correct symbols to convey your meaning is essential to success.

It’s all covered in my second book.

message 15: by Bill (new)

Bill Cleary | 66 comments I think it's pretty much reserved for aliens now, "Greetings, Earthlings."

message 16: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Smith (garrettsmith) | 246 comments Unless you put Season's in front of it, that works. But again, you would only write that, not say it out loud.

message 17: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Gelsheimer (gelsheimerkeats) | 25 comments Amy wrote: "Welcome to our group. Lincoln's given the long introduction, so you have lots to get you started. Please jump in our discussions without any hesitation!

I know this is a silly question, but I h..."

Can't say the last time, if ever, I uttered "Greetings". I think I might start doing it just to mess with people though! :0)

message 18: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Gelsheimer (gelsheimerkeats) | 25 comments Lincoln wrote: "Nope just said it out loud and it sounded funny..."

:0) Me, too!