YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Piper's Son
This topic is about The Piper's Son
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta → Restarting September 9th 2018

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mei (last edited Aug 22, 2013 09:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments "Award-winning author Melina Marchetta reopens the story of the group of friends from her acclaimed novel Saving Francesca - but five years have passed, and now it’s Thomas Mackee who needs saving. After his favorite uncle was blown to bits on his way to work in a foreign city, Tom watched his family implode. He quit school and turned his back on his music and everyone that mattered, including the girl he can’t forget. Shooting for oblivion, he’s hit rock bottom, forced to live with his single, pregnant aunt, work at the Union pub with his former friends, and reckon with his grieving, alcoholic father. Tom’s in no shape to mend what’s broken. But what if no one else is either? An unflinching look at family, forgiveness, and the fierce inner workings of love and friendship, The Piper’s Son redefines what it means to go home again."

Clary and I will be reading this. Everyone welcome =)))

message 2: by Katy (new)

Katy | 361 comments This book seems interesting. Have you guys read the first one? If so, what did you think? I may have to read it.

Clary | 27 comments I read the first one but wasn't too impressed. A bit too juvenile for my taste, but a nice, sweet, quick read nonetheless. The issue of depression was handled well, but I expected more on the romance front. It did made me interested in the side characters, though.

message 4: by Mei (last edited Sep 08, 2013 12:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Started ;) Nice to know that it's not only Tom's POV we'll be reading, but also her Aunt Georgie's.

message 5: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments I'm a bit having a hard time taking note of the names and their relation to the Finch/Mackee Family. Who's Callum? He's Sam's son, but who's his mother? It also said that Georgie & Sam had a 7-year relationship so maybe Georgie is Callum's mom. Also, is Abe the husband of Lucia? Just want to clarify, though.

message 6: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments I'm at 35% and I, at least, got some things clarified. :) To be honest, I'm getting a bit bored, though the writing is still beautiful. I wonder what happened with Tara and Tom's relationship and what broke it off. Tom seems to really like her but why do I keep reading they had a one night stand. And why Tara is in Timor, and what she's doing there. I'm also curious what Tom said on the phone before he fell.

Clary | 27 comments work has been crazy the last few days, so I barely started reading.... I like the writing but I'm confused about Tom's family and teir relationship toeach other. Expecially the grand-generation. Yes, Tom &Tarra seem to just have had a one night stand and I'm guessing after hus uncle died they lost touch. I'm guessing there is more to the story though. Did you also read the previous book? I hope I'll get some more reading done later today.. I like the way it's going

message 8: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments Yes, I read Saving Francesca and it was gooood. I think there's no need to read that one to readthis. Both books can stand alone anyway. I also like how this one is going.

I'm still confused with some situations. Dominic has been sober for months so why isn't he still coming back to Jacinta and why won't she let him?I thought that was the deal. Also, does Sam live with Leonie? And if yes, why does she just let Sam be with Georgie? And if they still like each other, which I think yes, why can't they just get back together again? The situations are complicated.

Clary | 27 comments I read "Saving Francesca" as well but wasn't too impressed. I prefer this one, actually. But I barely just started so I can't really make any comparisons -just a feeling, though. I have no answers to your questions since I don't think I'm as far into the book as you are, but I'll try to catch up and then, hopefully, can clear up some of that confusion^^

message 10: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments I just finished this morning. I loved it. How far are you now?

message 11: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 9th of September 2018

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************