The Robin Hobb Collection discussion

Megan Lindholm > Meg Lindholm

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hudson (new)

Hudson (bostonrich) I was wondering if anyone on here has read Meg Lindholm and if so, how is the style of writing different than Robin Hobb's?

message 2: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 23 comments I read her recent short story collection The Inheritance. The stories were labeled as to which persona she wrote them under but I didn't see a huge difference, frankly. It was all good.

But, IIRC her Lindholm writing is mostly older and out of print now, so perhaps her earlier work had a more differentiated tone.

message 3: by Hanne (new)

Hanne (hanne2) | 791 comments Mod
i haven't. i know she has a second writing 'alter ego', but i haven't read any of her work as megan lindholm

message 4: by Hudson (new)

Hudson (bostonrich) Thanks Lindsey, I will check that out. I am not sure but it seemed from the quick research I did that Megan might be more YA while Robin is clearly rated R!

message 5: by Rob (new)

Rob (robzak) | 432 comments She's got a story in Dangerous Women under her Megan name.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 14 comments I recommend the collection: The Inheritance for people who want to find out what Megan Lindholm's writing is like. It containst all her best short fiction*. It has the added bonus of also containing 3 stories by Robin Hobb set in the Realms of Elderlings. (One about the founding the of Rain Wilds by settlers, one story set in Bingtown and one from the Six Duchies that'll please cat lovers. :p)
If anything the collection is worth reading (as a fan) for the foreword and introductions to the stories alone.

*Warning: it's very different from Robin Hobb. More weird sci-fi and Urban Fantasy of the old unsettling-stuff-happening-in-modern-settings type, rather than the kick-ass detective/romance type that's currently so popular.

message 7: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments I have this on my shelf as well. One of the few physical books I have on a physical TBR shelf.

message 8: by Hanne (new)

i have it too! i you guys want i'd gladly read it together after we finish this one? feb? march?

message 9: by Rob (new)

Rob (robzak) | 432 comments I'll read it eventually, but not until after March most likely.

message 10: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments I'm up for The Inheritance whenever. I'm easy on the scheduling

message 11: by Hanne (last edited Jan 17, 2014 02:23AM) (new)

I have the soldier trilogy on my shelves as well, so if anyone wants to read with me, i would be very happy!

regarding the inheritance, i have that one on loan from a friend. it's a really good friend so i don't need to return in a matter of weeks, but i don't want it to be june either :))

so my proposal: let's do the inheritance first, let's say march 1st?

and if anyone is up for the soldier son trilogy, we could start book 1 in april?

EDIT: hang on, her next book is coming out in April, so perhaps we might want to read that one first, before heading into her other trilogy?

message 12: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 567 comments I'm good for March and April - whichever ones we read first.

message 13: by Rob (last edited Jan 17, 2014 03:21AM) (new)

Rob (robzak) | 432 comments You all enjoy. Words of Radiance comes out March 4th. ^_^

message 14: by Hanne (new)

ok just seeing that the publication date for fool's assassin in goodreads says april, but the amazon and bookdepository have august - i would believe the latter more actually.

so perhaps we can finish soldier son before fool's assassin comes out. let's wait and see :)

message 15: by Rob (new)

Rob (robzak) | 432 comments August is the date I saw from Ms. Hobb. I forget now where..

message 16: by Hanne (new)

yes that's the idea. unless people want to continue faster with the next books, but let's try to stay to one a month for now :)

message 17: by Rob (new)

Rob (robzak) | 432 comments I'll likely be skipping them all. I have too many other things I want to read right now.

I'll definitely be back in August though.