TV We've Just Watched discussion

Reality TV > Survivor

Comments Showing 1-50 of 314 (314 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/pho...

Not happy with ANY of these returning players. Rupert, Tyson, Candice, Aras, Kat, Gervase. Not one person I would bother rooting for. Ugh.

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 79 comments I agree. Candice? Again? (shudders)

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) She was not that interesting the first two times. I may root for Tyson. There's no way I'm NOT watching because I don't want to break my streak of never missing an episode since the first day it aired. Ugh. Next season should be all new players. Talk about a twist; we wouldn't see that one coming! And I hate that there's a Redemption Island regardless of the twist.

Colton the racist buffoon from Alabama is back to embarrass me and my home state for the second time.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments I'll be rooting for Tina.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments I grind my teeth at the concept that they were considering Cesternino, but decided we'd rather see Colton instead. (I've seen this suggested; don't know how true it is.)

message 6: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Don't forget, a new Survivor starts tonight!

message 7: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) My husband says for the first time since it aired, he may not watch. There's no way I'm breaking my streak of never missing an episode, even if it sucks. Just more for me to complain about.

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 79 comments It ought to be interesting. Some of the conflicts on there really do surprise me -- I''m amazed that no one has killed someone yet.

message 9: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) We'd better remind Mark, he always forgets.

message 10: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I sent Mark a PM. Let's see if he remembers.

I bet your husband with break down and watch, Tressa.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments I made it through Survivor: Thailand, so I'm probably up for this season.

message 12: by Tressa (last edited Sep 19, 2013 07:23AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) OK. Pleasantly surprised that I didn't hate this right off the bat, even though I don't care for any of the returning players with the exception of Tyson, whom I have always gotten a kick out of. He just has some endearing qualities that make me like him.

I had a feeling Rupert and his wife were going to showboat their undying love. Tina was right to beg him not to do it, that their team needed his skills (although hubby and I had to laugh at the praise about his shelter-building skills. Remember that basement he made that flooded at high tide?). I know he wanted her to play, but what he did probably put her in line to get voted out early on anyway. And besides, she may have won the Redemption Island challenge.

Colton is back to show that he has a nice, softer side? Well, it didn't take long for his true self to come out. His screaming at that ditzy blonde in the boat was hilarious. And the preview for the next episode has him stirring up some more shit. I do really like his boyfriend, though. He seems like a genuinely nice guy (good old southern boy) and I think he may go far.

Cannot stand the ex-football player (Culpepper)? He annoys me for some reason.

Oh, and I really like Gervace's niece, and why the hell were they coming down on her for his celebrating the win? And people aren't supposed to celebrate a win? It's not like their loved one is sacrificed to the gods once they are voted out. Gervace should be the next to go next time they lose immunity. He is pathetic at challenges.

message 13: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I didn't hate it either. Watching, I thought, is this show crazy for voting off someone from each tribe at the beginning. Why would they do such a thing? Surprise.... here come Redemption Island....I hate RI! It's just torture for everyone involved, including the viewers. I did feel bad for John throughout the show for him wanting to protect his wife.

Rupert still annoys me, hope he loses.
Caleb seems like a nice guy. Wondering why he's with Colton?

Just watching Gervase during the challenge brought it all back how bad he was at challlenges. Why would he celebrate the win, when he almost singlehandedly lost it? And I don't think his niece should have been voted off.

Anyone else notice how Jeff really seems to be star struck with Culpepper? Every chance he gets he's talking to him, lol.

This should be a good season! I also decided not to be that hard on myself for not remembering everyone in past seasons, since this is the start of season 27. : )

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 79 comments Gervase. Watching him trying to move his sorry ass during the challenge was embarassing to watch.

Eileen, I agree with you about RI, I actually groaned when I saw that was coming back.

As to Colton, yep, didn't take him long to revert to type. And Culpepper -- being that I'm not a great sports fan, watching Jeff fawn over him was annoying.

message 15: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I didn't get why Gervase was so in-yo-face-losers! with his celebrating, when he performed the worst out of his team in the challenge. I would have kept a low profile and thanked God that we won, no thanks to me. I laugh at the "I'm good at puzzles" foreshadowing on Survivor. When they say they're great at puzzles, they're about to lose a challenge due to their lack of puzzle expertise.

I couldn't even remember which season Gervase had been on. So I'm not going to beat myself up either. I do recognize almost all of them, although I didn't remember Culpepper's wife much at all. Or that other short dark-haired mom.

I can't wait to see what Colton has in store for us.

Oh, I really like Aris' brother, too. You can really tell how he still regrets how his junkie/thug behavior hurt his family and his relationship with his brother.

I haven't noticed Jeff's obsession with Culpepper. I don't know why anyone would be obsessed with him; he's annoying as hell.

I was wondering why they were voting out someone so early on, and then my husband reminded me about RI. Groan. Thought they were never bringing this back again. I hope Gervace's niece wins!

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 375 comments I think that this season might get very nasty. Emotions are already running high. What will happen when their loved one gets mowed over in a physical challenge? This just might be a crazy season.

message 17: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Sep 22, 2013 03:52PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments I heard "shelter-building skills" and nearly died laughing.

ETA: Why in hell is RI back? It wasn't missed.

message 18: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Sep 22, 2013 03:56PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments Gervaise was on Borneo. I forget if he was the prototype of Survivor's "black dude who can't swim" or not.

ETA: He's already on my "ruled out by edit" list for this season, with Colton.

message 19: by mark (last edited Sep 26, 2013 08:39PM) (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 365 comments I've definitely enjoyed the first two episodes and thank you Eileen for reminding me about the show!

- so happy that Rupert was first to go. ecstatic! but since I actually dislike Candice the traitor even more, I was sorta enjoying his I'm Gonna Do Nothing Let Candice Do All The Work attitude on redemption island. still, he's first out and there's something awesome about that.

- Candace's husband Crybaby was sorta endearing. probably cause he cried so much. poor little crybaby!

- I think the Loved Ones have been stupid two times in a row with who've they've voted out and why. can't believe I actually was agreeing with Probst in the first episode when he couldn't believe that punishing a returning survivor's behavior through their relative was actually an option. his disgust was palpable and I was equally disgusted. especially since that wasn't the real reason: as noted in the second episode (although I was thinking it in the first), it was obvious that Football Hero didn't like Gervase's niece's comment towards him and wanted her out because of that. shades of Russell Hanz!

- I hate Football Hero. he is a real pain to watch and I have a feeling we'll be watching him for a while, ugh. also, did anyone catch his description of his alliance in the first episode: "four guys and one gay guy"! that was funny and terrible all at once. the guy's a moron.

- like Eileen, I am really curious as to why Bear Cub is even with Colton in the first place. he seems too sane for Colton.

- Colton was annoying as ever. not sure what annoyed me more, all the crying in the first episode or the return to his old ways in the second. it's funny, watching Crybaby cry made me feel bad for him but watching Colton cry made me roll my eyes. I'm a bad queer I guess, I should be supporting my queer brother, but argh he's just so hard to watch. I want to do nothing more than just shake him until his teeth rattle.

- Aras' brother looks like he'll be an interesting and entertaining villain. I like him a lot. I just hope he doesn't turn into a real asshole, I like my villains to be Chris Daugherty types, on the down-low with their villainy.

- I've always sorta liked Aras, but he's also been fairly forgettable to me because his season was dominated by The Story of Cirie, the juggernaut known as Terry, and the madcap adventures of two insane people named Shane and Courtney. but Aras in his first season was definitely in control of his tribe, and in a pleasingly low-key and reasonable way. like how I imagine Ethan Zohn would have been as a leader - if Ethan had ever been in control of anything (which he wasn't).

knowing what I've seen of Aras in the past, I wasn't surprised to see that he was already clearly the leader of his tribe by the second episode. a relaxed, kick-back kinda leader who mandates massage circles and positive attitudes, I guess. I can be down with that kind of leader. at least for a little while. I really enjoyed how easily and dismissively he shut down Colton. more of that please!

- I also enjoyed Tyson. but then I've enjoyed Tyson both times previously - until suddenly I start hating his lame attitude. I wonder how long it will take this season.

- I loved moms beating daughters on the first immunity challenge. sweet!

- pretty annoyed at no Rob Cesternino. he's had such success on the internet with his blog that I figured he'd be a lock on this season. ah well. I like him more from his blog than from his original season, where he didn't do as much as everyone seems to remember him doing. he was mainly just an entertaining character. rather a dull season - I just re-watched it. second and last time!

message 20: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Sep 26, 2013 08:53PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments From what I understand, they chose to cast Colton & boyfriend, rather than Cesternino and a relative. That's a real loss.

ETA: Colton pulling that stunt on a tribe led by Aras and with Tina on it (she's always had superb social radar; she won with it), is incredibly dumb. Sort of amusing to watch, but dumb play. But he's not a good player.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments I am starting to get the vibe that the endgame players (not necessarily including the winner, thanks Vanuatu Chris!) are on Returnees.

Not winning: Colton (duh), Gervaise, most of the men on Newbies.

message 22: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 365 comments I agree about Tina (except for her second season, of course). an underrated winner and the first winner who won purely by her social game.

oh, Colton. as you say, not a good player. or a good person! and like Tina said, he really is symbolic of the New Survivor. sigh.

message 23: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) mark wrote: "I hate Football Hero. he is a real pain to watch and I have a feeling we'll be watching him for a while, ugh. also, did anyone catch his description of his alliance in the first episode: "four guys and one gay guy"! that was funny and terrible all at once. the guy's a moron...."

I hate him, too. What a prick. Plus, he seems pretty stupid.

There's just something unlikable about Candice. I don't know what it is, though. It's like even her strength is annoying, when that shouldn't be! Maybe it's her entitlement attitude? Her husband is OK, though.

Hate Rupert, always have, and am glad he's gone. He messed up BIG time. His wife is milquetoast and forgettable.

Is it just me or does it seem like Gervase and Marissa don't really like or respect one another, even though they are blood? I really liked her and hope she stays. He'll be another bad player dragged to the end because no one would ever give him a million bucks.

Colton must live just to be disagreeable. I mean, he is pissed that his tribe is getting along, and filling up the empty time by talking to each other! He's nuts and a grade A asshole to boot. I also love how Tina and Aras shut his add down ASAP. I barely remember Aras but agree that he makes an excellent leader. I'd love to see him win again.

Some people were pissed that Tina beat Colby, but she is a good player when she's in the right tribe and can mix luck and skill to her advantage. She does play an excellent game, and once again players are not realizing there's more to winning Survivor than brawn.

I'm also a fan of Tyson. He's goofy but endearing.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments Tina fully earned her win in that she had gotten so in Colby's head that he took her to the finals over Keith, who would have been the easy beat.

message 25: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments I really like this new twist in survivor. I like the complexity of voting someone out that might go against your loved one. I don't hate Rupert, but he definitely annoys me. Glad he is gone. His wife will be gone soon I would assume. Bad choice on his part taking her place.

message 26: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Anyone else think Rupert's wife is a tiny bit glad he's gone?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments I think I'll add Mrs. Rupert to the "not winning" list, because all we know about her is that she's Mrs. Rupert, pretty much. And they've spent plenty of time on that tribe, for all that they haven't been to TC.

message 28: by mark (last edited Sep 27, 2013 12:24PM) (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 365 comments Tressa, I think you are right about Candice's entitled attitude making her so unlikeable. that and once a traitor, always a traitor, for me at least.

also agree about Gervase and Marissa's attitude towards each other. it's odd. but I like Marissa and I've never particularly liked Gervase.

I probably overstated my dislike for Rupert. I definitely don't care for him, for sure. he also has a really entitled attitude. but even though I disliked him intensely in his 2nd and 3rd seasons, I thought he actually played smart games in both of those seasons. I really liked him for the first half of his first season. then that entitled attitude became clear and I soured on him. but as far as players I dislike, I still far prefer Rupert and even Candice over players I truly despise like Colton, Russell Hanz, Naonka, and Abi Maria. all these vicious clowns that New Survivor seems to want to be central to their narratives.

also agree about Rupert's wife a bit glad to finally be away from Rupert's shadow. my jury's still out on her, I don't have a strong sense of her personality yet. although I'll say this: I am an enemy of tie-dye.

message 29: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) When I say I hate a contestant, it's in the realm of the game and encompasses their personality, game play, interaction, etc. I don't know them outside the game, obviously. But, Rupert has gotten on my nerves since about five episodes into his first season—the way he grooooowls! when he talks, that cheesy smile that shows every tooth. He's a great fisherman and provider for his team, but not sure about a great player. And of course there are bigger jerks out there such as Naonka and Abi Maria, one of the most least self-aware people I have ever seen.

Rupert made me hate tie-dye.

message 30: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments Ha the tie-dye hate cracked me up. Totally agree. I became a tie dye hater when a guy in my gym wore a tie dye tank top every day.

message 31: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) It doesn't take much to hate tie-dye.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments Like growing up in a sea of it. (Yeah, that dates me, doesn't it? LOL)

message 33: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I'm thrilled Rupert's gone, he just annoys me. I also think Rubert's wife is just a little happy he's gone. I do think the tie dye shirt is the only one he owns.

Was it just my imagination or did Aras and Tyson look overly cozy by the fire this week?

You're welcome, Mark! Hate to have you miss all the fun. Shaking Cotton wouldn't help and you might hurt yourself. Then we'd miss you weekly recaps.

message 34: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Tyson rubbing Aras' shoulders was kind of out of the blue.

message 35: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments I noticed that with Aras and Tyson also. Surprised me. Isn't Tyson in the game with a wife or girlfriend?

message 36: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 365 comments i think it just may be a different style than some folks are used to? maybe more of a california style? the way that Tyson and Aras acted is a lot like how me and my friends act with each other. pretty touchy. and I'm the only queer one! my friends are fairly macho despite all the touchiness.

thanks again Eileen!

message 37: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Well, I live in Alabama, and two guys who are not gay would never EVER rub each other's shoulders, lol. Hell, when they go to lunch together they don't sit across from each other but one sits one seat over across the table. Have never understood this one.

message 38: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 365 comments yeah, definitely a different style! i think Tyson & Aras are closer to my social world in style than say a couple guys in Alabama who can't sit across from each other at a table... which is so odd, to me at least. lot of physical demonstrativeness in my crowd. and my friends are carpenters and in other male-dominated trades, married w/kids, etc etc. very different worlds!

message 39: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Same country, different world!

message 40: by JackieR (new)

JackieR (readthat) | 318 comments wow! they won't even sit across from each other? I think here in Chicago they will, but maybe I haven't paid attention...I am going to check in this haha

message 41: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I just know my husband would never sit between another man's legs and let another man rub his shoulders. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I do think it's nice that they were comfortable enough to be that relaxed with each other. I'm the kind of person who likes to touch people when I'm talking to them. Not everyone likes it though, lol.

message 42: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) JackieR wrote: "wow! they won't even sit across from each other? I think here in Chicago they will, but maybe I haven't paid attention...I am going to check in this haha"

Of course this doesn't happen every time two men eat lunch together, but I see it often in the food court I go to several times a week. I think maybe it has to do with them spreading all their food out? They don't like to be crowded, but women don't mind it as much.

My husband also would never get a massage from another man, nor give one.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments Ding dong, the bitch is dead!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments I'm about to add the entire Newbie tribe to my "not the endgame, very probably not winning" list. This is a tribe that couldn't shoot straight.

message 45: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 365 comments so happy that Colton is gone! it was a bit much that Probst went on about Colton supposedly quitting the last time around, but overall I appreciated the scolding. mainly I just appreciate not seeing him anymore.

I don't mind people quitting Survivor because my favorite thing about the show is its parallels to the real world. and there are plenty of quitters in the real world.

oh, that Newbie tribe. well, they do know how to bring the drama. I don't see how any of them besides Vytas is going to go far.

Candice and Marissa's reactions to John was priceless.

I wonder if Candice & John will invite Marissa to "join their tribe". so to speak.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments At this point, I would say Aras and Tyson have the best edits. But it's early.

message 47: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 365 comments I've been very happy with Tyson so far. love his comments, they seem less shallow this time around.

message 48: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) That scene between Aras and his brother was tough but touching. Oh, the dynamics of siblings when one is a Golden Child and the other a Problem Child. I would love for Aras to win aain.

Am disliking Culpepper more and more each week. What a jerk. But Candice's husband doesn't really know how to play the game.

Glad Colton's gone, and I'm sad for the thousands of others who would have given anything to have had his spot on Survivor. Jeff did NOT want him back again, but the producers have the say in who's on the show. They probably thought they could get some mileage out of a gay relationship on the island, especially if one part of the couple is named Colton.

I wish Gervase would STFU giving advice to his cousin about the game.

message 49: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 365 comments if they wanted gay, I wish they would have brought back evil elf Todd. now he knew how to play the game.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1012 comments Gervaise is starting to smell like a really good goat.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7