Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Books/Characters > Your Pet Peeve In Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
What really annoys you in fiction?

For me its love triangles!

I can't stand them! Especially romances! How quickly can a person fall in love? With so many different people! I can't understand that at all and its not something I can relate to. But seems to be in alot of popular books.

Sometimes I just want to yell: Make up your mind you fickle cow!

Whats yours?

It can be elements of the story, a phrase ("Oh my." I blushed) or something that authors tend to overuse... often... with no real understanding of... or what it means to use them... Or how it passed the editors...

I will allow you to vent. Go!

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Gilley | 40 comments I'm with you on the love triangles! And they always seem to be two men fighting over one woman, and I never understand why...

My biggest pet peeve right now is the domineering jerk "hero" in romances. He isn't strong, he isn't tough, he just feels the need to say a lot of "tough guy" things. I don't mind the coarse hero - Mr. Rochester - but when the character needs to walk around saying "I'm so bad; I'm so tough"...nope. Character development, please!

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly | 1 comments One of my pet peeves is when a fantasy writer populates their urban story world with nearly all White characters for no apparent reason.

message 4: by Bisky (new)

@Lauren I know what you mean god its annoying lol. It was funny the first time, but now its over used.

@Holly I disagree alittle there.

If its a world where the focus is just on one particular area (A castle grounds and the countries near it) most all fantasy is based on medieval europe. Thats the reason. I don't think its an intentional thing. My books characters tend to be people who are white and have more middle eastern (specifically persian) colouring because thats my friend demographic since I live in northern europe and I kinda base my characters on people I've met (A Dance with Fury's main characters happen to be white, except for one. But it has a very limited cast. My larger novel is based in London (the protagonist is middle eastern) however and there is a very large mix of people as London is like that. To be honest I wasn't really thinking about it its just the way it happened.)

But if we are talking about a really wide world with hundreds of countries and continents then yeah, I agree. There can be not enough variety. But I really think its just because its based on more of British and Euopean history/folklore*points at game of thrones* not something more sinister.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Pearce (michaeltinkerpearce) | 91 comments I have to agree, but I would like to see more fantasy set in non-European settings. In our fantasy novel everyone is either 'white' or covered in hair, but we have races differentiated in other ways- Goblins, Dwarves, 'Tall Folk,' Trolls etc. There are people of color in the world, we just haven't encountered them yet as all the action takes place in and around the dwarven kingdom, where they are all the descendants of Norsemen. We still deal with issues of racial prejudice etc. but the divides aren't based on skin color.

One of my big pet peeves about medieval fantasy is they create a world based on our own Middle Ages-- but without a powerful centralized church. As a student of history I can tell you that without the Catholic Church our own Middle Ages would have been very, very different.

message 6: by Carl (new)

Carl I love to read YA as its writers have improved the genre. But too many still treat teen characters' having our even thinking about sex as taboo. These are teens we're talking about. Several exceptions: Thumped and Bumped. But these feature sex.

message 7: by Carl (new)

Carl Sex as central element. I still read YA but this aspect is usually not believable.

message 8: by Bisky (new)

@ Micheal "Middle Ages-- but without a powerful centralized church. As a student of history I can tell you that without the Catholic Church our own Middle Ages would have been very, very different. " Ohh yes! Totally agree! (I study Viking History :3)

@Carl I agree actually. I remember when I read alot of YA the only sex was either a bonding thing like soul mates and cheesy (twilight) or sexual assult. I never read a book about a healthy relationship in that respect.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Pearce (michaeltinkerpearce) | 91 comments Really? I also study Viking-era history a lot lately! In fact both of our Foreworld Saga Novellas are set in Viking themes...

message 10: by Bisky (new)

:D I read horror, study viking history write urban contemporary fantasy (with lots of guns) :x should really write a horrific story about vikings :p

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Pearce (michaeltinkerpearce) | 91 comments Speaking of pet peeves, Twilight is a whole category by itself... The twisted, dysfunctional relationship between a fifteen-year-old girl and her blood-sucking undead 100 year old molester? *shudder*

message 12: by Bisky (new)

*Shudder* I think the worst thing is that 50 shades of grey was fanficiton for it! I mean christian grey was oringinally edward o_o

message 13: by Deb (new)

Deb (soulhaven) | 103 comments Bisky wrote: "What really annoys you in fiction?

For me its love triangles!"

What about "attraction triangles"? Although, I find many get them confused. I don't go for the insta-love, either, but my story needed my main couple to "progress" rather smartly, so I did throw in a 3rd-wheel... but it really was just a case of "Hey, you're cute, oh darn, you already like him" "Wait, he likes you, too? I better stake my claim"... Yeah, really basic like that.

Um... what most annoys me? Pretty much anything where romance is THE central plot... to me, romance is not plot. That being said, I love romance in a story.

Otherwise... I haven't read enough to find a particular theme most annoying.

message 14: by Carl (new)

Carl Michael: what young female characters ignore is beyond me. I finished "The Snow Queen" by Joan Vinge. Main character returns to home planet and finds old BF killed lots of people. She doesn't care; she loves him. Please... SPOILER ALERT

message 15: by Carl (new)

Carl I suppose the spoiler alert goes first. *sigh*

message 16: by Deb (new)

Deb (soulhaven) | 103 comments Carl wrote: "Michael: what young female characters ignore is beyond me. I finished "The Snow Queen" by Joan Vinge. Main character returns to home planet and finds old BF killed lots of people. She doesn't care;..."

You're right. I can accept a little "Love conquers all", but not "Love makes me stupid"...

Not to say it doesn't happen in real life (I've seen a few Dr Phil eps), but it's not something we should glorify.... there should be consequences for that sort of decision making, or lack thereof.

message 17: by Carl (new)

Carl Makes sense. "Love makes me stupid"--lol!

message 18: by Bisky (new)

I understand attraction triangles! I have one in one of my books. You can get to know two poeople at the same time, but not love them its really annoying. And there are alot of books where the guy is abusive but the woman still loves him. granted it does happen in real life, but it still pisses someone like me who it would never happen to. its too clique just to dangle love above a characters head to make them do things.

message 19: by Deb (last edited Aug 23, 2013 03:59AM) (new)

Deb (soulhaven) | 103 comments Bisky wrote: "just to dangle love above a characters head to make them do things. "

I prefer jaded characters who are wary of love, personally. I like to be convinced.

Bisky wrote: "where the guy is abusive but the woman still loves him. granted it does happen in real life "

It does. But it doesn't end in a HEA, usually. That's where the fiction tends to go wrong, dangling that happiness.

message 20: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette Turner (smaft2) | 2 comments I get aggravated at time travel books. The whole idea really, really annoys me. Futuristic and other worlds I adore, but seriously, if your six foot with thick gorgeous hair and abs-of-steel and are from the past or the future - do not knock on my door or else!

message 21: by Bisky (new)

He can knock on my door. But I just won't let him out again.

message 22: by Deb (new)

Deb (soulhaven) | 103 comments Bisky wrote: "He can knock on my door. But I just won't let him out again."

LOL (o:

message 23: by Bisky (new)

:P

message 24: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette Turner (smaft2) | 2 comments No way I'd take a hunky alien over a time travelling dude any day. Or a scottish kilt wearing laird. No time travellers crossing my door. I know a lady that reads romances with zombies - yes I know the movie! That could also be a no go for me. Zombies being killed by kick ass heroines is okay though. Picky aren't I?

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments I read a lot of YA books. I know the characters are young and inexperienced, but when they make those stupid mistakes, like not listening! (Yes, again I know that is a teenagers MO. LOL) But still, I had to stop reading one series because the heroine was irritating the hell out of me. Was not worth the rise in blood pressure.

Zombies being killed by kick ass heroines? Sounds like one of my favorite series. :)

message 26: by Carl (new)

Carl Antoinette, I'm on board your anti-time travel ship. Story can be entertaining but it's a ludicrous concept. *ducks*

message 27: by Bisky (new)

@Heidi Ohh I find that a majour problem with Urban Fan heroines of any age! its so annoying! Why do magical things happen to stupid people!

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments Bisky wrote: "@Heidi Ohh I find that a majour problem with Urban Fan heroines of any age! its so annoying! Why do magical things happen to stupid people!"

Well, if you think about it, if they didn't do those stupid things then we wouldn't have a story. Then again there is stupid and there is Really? LOL

message 29: by Bisky (new)

@Heidi I recently was reading a story when this happened:

I realised they were tracking me through the tracker on my backpack. I crouched behind the car. They were getting closer. I scooped my backpack off the ground and ran. Even though the tracker was in there, I had no time to think about it as it had my gun inside. I ran for miles. I was sure I had lost them.

Really? Take the gun out you pratt :p

message 30: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments Bisky wrote: "@Heidi I recently was reading a story when this happened:

I realised they were tracking me through the tracker on my backpack. I crouched behind the car. They were getting closer. I scooped my bac..."

LOL That is definitely a "Really?" moment.

message 31: by Ken (new)

Ken Brimhall (kenbrimhall) | 3 comments When you're reading a good romance novel and it turns into smut.

message 32: by Bisky (new)

Oh yes, smut is terrible :x

message 33: by Michael (new)

Michael Pearce (michaeltinkerpearce) | 91 comments OK, BIG pet peeve. Authors that get details wrong when it would have been just as easy to get it right. Like having the character click the safety off on his revolver (no common revolvers HAVE a safety catch) or having a sword be heavy (why would people fight with them if they were heavy and clumsy?) In these internet-days it's so easy to research details like these that there is no excuse not to. It's just poor craftsmanship, and that offends me.

message 34: by Bisky (new)

Oooh I understand that. Especially if its a book about a culture I know alot about thats completely wrong. If they haven't been there they need to research! :3 Its not a movie afterall :p

message 35: by Ethan (new)

Ethan (ecalof) | 16 comments I've got a bunch of pet peeves (I'm also not a fan of love triangles), but one takes the cake for me: improper names. I'm not talking about people who create a world that allows for eleven characters named Awesome McCoolname, or people who have silly names because the character demands it. I'm talking about culturally inaccurate names. I was reading a novel once with a male Russian character with the surname Timofeevna, which is (a) a patronymic middle name, not a surname and (b) a female name, as are all Russian names ending with an a. It's the same when I see a native Chinese character with a Japanese name, or stuff like that. It reeks of laziness and lack of research IMO.

message 36: by Bisky (new)

Ahh yes that is really annoying. I think now, as was said, with the internet, there really isnt any excuse for that anymore lol

message 37: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Castro (nicolecastro) | 116 comments I hate the name Kate. If your MC is named Kate, I do not want to read your book. I like the name itself, but to name a character that name is so damn cliche.

I also hate when a character looks in the mirror then describes what they see. Really? That's the BEST you could do?

These two reasons alone are why I cannot read FSOG. I read the first two paragraphs and both of these things were present.

message 38: by Carl (new)

Carl Soap opera names, e.g., "Drake."

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael Pearce (michaeltinkerpearce) | 91 comments What is FSOG?

message 40: by Carl (new)

Carl Finished "The Mote in God's Eye," a decent sf (science fiction) book. Added bonus: huge exposition section explaining the alien planet's political situation. One character even said they could talk about this subject because they were walking to their destination and therefore had the time. REALLY?

message 41: by Bisky (new)

@Carl hahaha thats hilarious :p

@Micheal 50 shades of grey :3

message 42: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Castro (nicolecastro) | 116 comments OH, I also loathe 2 spaces after a period (or other stop punctuation). WE DON'T USE TYPEWRITERS ANYMORE, PEOPLE.

message 43: by Bisky (new)

I honestly wouldn't be able to notice that o_O

message 44: by Carl (new)

Carl Nicole, lol.

message 45: by Bisky (new)

Why I love the movie signs so much I think :P

message 46: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 1053 comments Mod
@ Nicole: I don't know why, but sometimes word processors will do that randomly. I hate it when I see it happen in my work but I don't mind seeing it in books.

@ Willow: I hate that they often do that in horror style. You see the beast destroyed just to realize one has survive, and you can imagine that the whole thing will start over again... GRRRRRRR I so hate that!

Personally, my pet peeve is more in the details. I've read a book lately where the protagonist complains that her husband doesn't love her anymore, and he used to sleep naked now he sleeps in full pajamas (or pyjamas depending on where you're from :P). A few pages later, the protagonist says something like that: Another sleepless night. As usual, he is sleeping naked under the blanket and I am laying all dressed on top of the covers... In the same book, after turning off the TV a few pages later, she turns to it and watches "insert name of a star* say something.
I feel like screaming, MAKE UP YOUR MIND! I know it's only details but they can get irritating at times.
So yeah inconsistency is my big pet peeve. That and big cliffhangers. I don't mind when things are not resolved but give me an ending, something that you would expect for a last chapter, not something that you would find in the middle of a book. These are not series, they are books sold in pieces.

message 47: by Bisky (new)

I agree with everything you said :x lol

message 48: by Kay (new)

Kay (aceraven) | 41 comments I hate lazy endings, the ones where you can tell the author was sick of the book and wanted to end it. It coincides with the mention further up the thread of not tying up the plot lines, but also having something that was never mentioned the entire time, but neatly ends the book. It drives me crazy!

message 49: by Carl (new)

Carl Willow, you'll want to avoid Margaret Atwood, queen of open endings.

message 50: by Bisky (new)

hahaha :p

« previous 1