Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2013-09 - Debut Novels - What will you read in September?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8467 comments Mod
Thanks for the lovely choice for September, LynnB!

Which of these Debut Novels tickle your fancy?

message 2: by Tien (new)

I'm just going to make a note on what's on this shelf that I own - hopefully, we'll be settled in our new house in September and I can find & read them!

Shadow and Bone
Of Poseidon -audio
Lexicon - though I don't understand why this is on this shelf as this is definitely not his First / Debut novel (???)
We Need New Names

and that's from first 5 pages...

message 3: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments Not sure yet what I'll read but here are some candidates (all from my TBR):

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1) by Bec McMaster The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern Silver (Silver, #1) by Rhiannon Held Fire Baptized (Santeria Habitat, #1) by Kenya Wright What a Boy Wants (What a Boy Wants, #1) by Nyrae Dawn One Week Girlfriend (Drew + Fable, #1) by Monica Murphy

message 4: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1602 comments Think I will start with these two, but that may change...
Letters from Skye
The Age of Miracles

message 5: by Lyn (Readinghearts) (last edited Aug 22, 2013 11:34AM) (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2803 comments Mod
I've got this one, lol. I swear 75% of the books that I read lately are debut novels. Here are the ones that I know I have on tap for October:

The Boleyn King
The Bookstore
The Silent Wife

I'm sure there are more, and there are several I would like to read, just looking at the list. So we will see what I end up with.

message 6: by Tara (last edited Aug 22, 2013 02:58PM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments I am going to definitely read Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi and hopefully I will get one more in.

message 7: by Niamh (new)

Niamh | 61 comments Great shelf pick! So many of the books on this shelf look like ones that I would like. Off to the library to see which ones I can get my hands on :)

message 8: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 339 comments Tien wrote: "I'm just going to make a note on what's on this shelf that I own - hopefully, we'll be settled in our new house in September and I can find & read them!

Shadow and Bone
Of Poseidon -audio
Lexicon ..."

I noticed several on the list that are not debut novels. I wonder if some people are not familiar with the term "debut".

message 9: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1602 comments @Adrienne - I think you will find that most shelves have books that are "misfiled". Personally, I don't think I've seen one that doesn't have at least some books that don't fit the category. People have their own reasoning for how they shelve their books. Drives me crazy at times ;)

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3411 comments Mod
I don't have a good track record for actually reading the things I put on my list each month. I always read something from the shelf, but it's often not what I've planned at all.

So I'm just listing the books I want to read from page one of the list, and we'll see what happens.

Cinder
Sister
Shatter Me
The Iron King

message 11: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) I think I'm going to start off w/ The Snow Child and see how things go from there ...

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2803 comments Mod
LynnB wrote: "@Adrienne - I think you will find that most shelves have books that are "misfiled". Personally, I don't think I've seen one that doesn't have at least some books that don't fit the category. Peop..."

Yep, like the old joke (that isn't really a joke) about Harry Potter being on every list. Crazy.

message 13: by Bea (new)

message 14: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Susan wrote: "I don't have a good track record for actually reading the things I put on my list each month. I always read something from the shelf, but it's often not what I've planned at all.

So I'm just list..."

I am not good at reading the things I say I will read either! I am hoping to read the book I chose for the shelf though, but I didn't want to try to add any other books to the list because I fear I wouldn't get to them.

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenofthebookworm) I'm leaning towards The Light Between Oceans and The Hypnotist, although as I have eight books to read before I can pick up either of those they may still be unread at the end of September.

message 16: by Biondy (new)

Biondy I think I'll go with The Age of Miracles.
I already have the book, but haven't even open the seal.

message 17: by Niamh (new)

Niamh | 61 comments I'm going for Tell the Wolves I'm Home. Sounds like one I'd never have picked before so it's first on the list for me. :) I've already started it as it was available from the library.

I'm going to try for Throne of Glass and Sister as well if I get the time. I might not as I'm way behind in my MTR booklist. Only 6 books behind schedule on that one. :/

message 18: by Julia (last edited Aug 30, 2013 03:45PM) (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) I don't know if I'll be able to read all of them (or if I'll even like them), but I've ordered from the library.....

Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) by Katie McGarry The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1) by Aimee Carter Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson and Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight . At least I'll have a variety to chose from.

message 19: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 1 comments I am going to read "Shatter me"

message 20: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments JuliaC wrote: "I don't know if I'll be able to read all of them (or if I'll even like them), but I've ordered from the library.....

Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1) by Katie McGarry The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey [bo..."

I really liked "Pushing the Limits" and "Unearthly". I so need to read the sequels!

message 21: by Julia (new)

Julia Ce (juliace) Thanks D.G. - You're the only person I know who's read them so I'll start w/ one of those first.

message 22: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments They are both YA and I read a lot of that. :)

It depends on what you like. Pushing the Limits is realistic fiction meats YA romance - with some really tough themes.

Unearthly is YA about angels. I loved it - love triangle and all but it made sense! I may skim it before I read the sequel to make sure I remember everything.

message 23: by Tara (last edited Sep 02, 2013 09:05PM) (new)

Tara | 742 comments D.G. wrote: "JuliaC wrote: "I don't know if I'll be able to read all of them (or if I'll even like them), but I've ordered from the library.....

I loved all the books in the Unearthly series. One of the better YA series out there.

message 24: by Lisa (last edited Sep 14, 2013 02:59AM) (new)

Lisa O'Rourke | 46 comments Lisa O'Rourke I have just counted 16 debut novels on my to-read shelves. I have started 'Letters from Skye' by Jessica Brockmole....so far so good.

message 25: by Tien (new)

Oooh... did you see the Booker shortlist? One of the books I tentatively chosen for this month (We Need New Names) is on it! Wonder if I can try to fit that in with everything else ;p

message 26: by LynnB (new)

LynnB | 1602 comments I'm reading The Golem and the Jinni which is a debut novel, but now I have to check to see that it's on the debut novel shelf....