Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Cover Help > Changing cover

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenpippa) | 13 comments Hey everyone!

After recent drama with my book, I'd really like to change my book cover.

It's exactly the same, just with a name change. I'd decided to use my "internet name" to deal with this so would appreciate if someone could help me out.

Thanks!!

xo

message 2: by Janeka (new)

Janeka | 347 comments Lauren,

you are talking about "Learning to Love", I suppose.
Where can I find the new cover?

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 5160 comments Your book is published by GR standards and as such we do not change covers.

I suggest you contact GR support as previously advised and see if a member of staff will do since a librarian doing it can cause loss of librarian status

message 4: by Lauren (last edited Aug 22, 2013 04:33AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenpippa) | 13 comments Janeka wrote: "Lauren,

you are talking about "Learning to Love", I suppose.
Where can I find the new cover?"

Yep, that's the one. I could send it to you if you could help.

Paula wrote: "Your book is published by GR standards and as such we do not change covers.

I suggest you contact GR support as previously advised and see if a member of staff will do since a librarian doing it ..."

A friend of mine has just changed the cover of her published book and didn't need to contact support?

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 5160 comments Then she has gone against GR policy and when it is found it will be reversed

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 5160 comments In addition, the book is published by GR standards as Lauren Howard and that is the name that should remain the only people who can go against GR policy is staff hence why you where told to contact support.

Unless a note from a staff member is add changes will be reverted to GR policy

The Holy Terror (theholyterror) | 46 comments The cover CAN be changed if the book hasn't been released yet (I guess you don't want it deleted anymore now that you've got all of those built in 5 star ratings, huh?)

The only time we don't change covers is if the book with the new cover has the same ISBN, then an alternate cover edition is created instead, keeping the original edition intact. People want to shelve the version with the cover they read.

Covers change before release all the time though, so it's not an issue to change the one for your book, Lauren. I would do it but I'm an evil librarian who is out to ruin the world ... Or maybe I'm just on my phone and lazy :p

Your author profile name can be changed too, and you should have control over that.

If I'm wrong on any of this, I'm sure rivka or someone else will correct me.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenpippa) | 13 comments The Holy Terror wrote: "The cover CAN be changed if the book hasn't been released yet (I guess you don't want it deleted anymore now that you've got all of those built in 5 star ratings, huh?)

The only time we don't chan..."

I've been told that the book can't be deleted so I just want to change the cover so that my name can alter. Privacy reasons etc. I was going to use a pen name anyway, wish I had have done now! Someone could clear all the ratings (also asked customer service for this but again - they declined) and I wouldn't mind.

Also, I don't think you're evil! I just lost my temper a few days ago, I blame it on PMS in all honesty haha. Honestly, I'm just as pissed off as you guys that people took things and blew them WAY, WAAAAY out of proportion. (i.e. that stupid Salon article that is journalism at it's damn finest, twisted words and altered "quotes"). I perceived shelves as threats, others didn't. I was then upset because librarians wouldn't help me out. It's all such a fucking mess that I'm trying to straighten out now.

I am sorry for all the mess it's called. For everyone involved. I'm by no means a malicious person, I'm sorry for things I've done wrong and I am BEYOND sorry for the disgusting words of some of my "supporters." I never expected this to reach out so far. I really hope you don't hold it all against me because I honestly wish no one anything but blessings and positivity.

BACK TO THE POINT, GR have already told me I can change my profile name so hopefully that isn't reverted back.

My book doesn't have an ISBN or anything so hopefully someone can help me out with changing my cover! :)

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 5160 comments The Holy Terror wrote: "The cover CAN be changed if the book hasn't been released yet (I guess you don't want it deleted anymore now that you've got all of those built in 5 star ratings, huh?)

The only time we don't chan..."

Covers are not changed on published books or pre published books - pre published by GR standards includes ARCs and online publishing, and were there are reviews of a book especially

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenpippa) | 13 comments Linda wrote: "If a cover/title/author's name gets changed, would that erase all the previous reviews/ratings? Or would both sets of data remain combined/merged so the author gets (redacted) the advantages both ..."

When I was told the book couldn't be removed, I asked for reviews/ratings to be completely wiped and reset but GR told me that it would be "unfair" to all of the raters. The sheer exposure of my name is why I want to start implicating some changes... hope you can understand that.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenpippa) | 13 comments Paula wrote: "The Holy Terror wrote: "The cover CAN be changed if the book hasn't been released yet (I guess you don't want it deleted anymore now that you've got all of those built in 5 star ratings, huh?)

The..."

Ahhh, right. So I will have to contact GR directly then? I was told I could change my name so I should be able to change my cover to match up with that. It is LITERALLY exactly the same cover, just with the altered name. It seems a little much to contact GR staff directly for such a simple task.

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 5160 comments And this is a book review / cataloging site. If I have read and rated a book it is a record of MY reading deleting the book alters my reading history.

Others allude to the deletion of books from GR as someone walking into their home and removing a book from their book shelves

message 13: by Monique (new)

Monique (Kadiya) | 762 comments Lauren,

This really is a case where you will need to talk to GoodReads support. Librarians cannot help you, as Paula said.

message 14: by Paula (last edited Aug 22, 2013 07:26AM) (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 5160 comments Linda wrote: "If a cover/title/author's name gets changed, would that erase all the previous reviews/ratings? Or would both sets of data remain combined/merged so the author gets (redacted) the advantages both ..."

The reviews ratings remain.

Under official GR policy, the author name on the book should be reverted to Lauren Howard since that was then name people read the book under and since the author has changed the name on the profile it would remove the book from the current author profile.

That is a decision best left to rivka or a staff member so appropriate notes can be added

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenpippa) | 13 comments Contacted GR staff directly again. Please do not revert my name back until I have discussed this all with GR as I have been told that's okay. This is a matter of privacy and internet safety and like I said, I had been considering changing my name to a pen name prior to release anyway so chances are, people would have ACTUALLY read LTL under the name Lauren Pippa.

ARCs that were sent out were unedited in some places so they were by no means the final draft.

Thank you for all of your help so far though everybody!

message 16: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 5160 comments Linda wrote: "Paula wrote: "...since the author has changed the name on the profile it would remove the food from the current author profile...."

Do you mean "book" or "feed"?"

Book

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 24223 comments Mod
Closing thread.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread