SSG: Spy/Spec-Ops Group discussion

Hell Island (Shane Schofield, #3.5)
This topic is about Hell Island
I Want a New Title! > 'Hell Island' (& other techno-thriller novelas)

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (last edited Aug 24, 2013 06:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim | 4 comments I just finished reading Hell Island; my first Matthew Reilly novel. It's short, fast paced, and action packed. Some parts are a little corny, but it's a fun read. Not for the reader serious about realistic action. This story fantastical.

The book is only 122 pages. It was written to encourage reading in Australia. I like the idea of a quick read option. I don't like paying the same price for a 122 page novel as a 400-600 page book, but it was an interesting experience.

Has anyone else read this book? What did you think?

David Dalton | 28 comments Jim wrote: "I just finished Hell Island; my first Matthew Reilly novel. It's short, fast paced, and action packed. Some parts are a little corny, but it's a fun read. Not for the reader serious about realis..."

As a Matt Reilly action junkie I too read Hell Island. I enjoyed it a lot. I agree about not liking the high price for a novella. I think I first read it in a low cost paperback. If they lowered the price to under $3 I am sure many people would jump on board.

message 3: by LadyTechie (new)

LadyTechie | 25 comments It looks like that is 4th in the series. Will you be reading the others? Did it feel like you missed anything? I love when authors write series that way so that you can jump in anywhere and not feel lost.

message 4: by Unknown (new)

Unknown Auther | 8 comments My spy series lays a trail of breadcrumbs, then explains everything in the end. At the end of the series, the explanations are explained.

David Dalton | 28 comments No, this is pretty much a one-shot. Does not help or hurt the overall story of Scarecrow.

message 6: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim | 4 comments Cheryl wrote: "It looks like that is 4th in the series. Will you be reading the others? Did it feel like you missed anything?"

Yes, I have the first book of the series, Ice Station, in a stack of books to read next along with The Lions of Lucerne, by Brad Thor, American Assassin, by Vince Flynn, and The Intercept, by Wolf Dick. I read Hell Island while in the middle of reading Vince Flynn's Term limits, which I still need to finish.

I didn't feel I missed anything because it's fourth in the series. It was easy to jump into .

message 7: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited May 06, 2015 08:42PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 1128 comments Mod
Novella? What?

I don't see how it works, but glad you guys got your jollies.

Come to think of it, Hammett wrote novella-length stories and he was the best action-writer ever. So I guess its feasible.

But for me, techno-thrillers really need to be full- length works. It is totally odd-sounding to hear 'techno thriller novella'. Novellas are more for the romance genre, wouldn't you think?

David Dalton | 28 comments Well, with a novella all you get is ACTION! No big build up, no romance, just action. It is assumed you already know who Scarecrow is, otherwise jump on board for a fast action ride.

message 9: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited May 07, 2015 10:08AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 1128 comments Mod
Oh! I see

Thanks for this insight... its kinda interesting to hear of this new wrinkle in publishing

'Flash fiction' is another one--I think the limit there is 200-or-so words

Roger Cave | 47 comments Jim

All of Reilly's Scarecrow bokks are the same pace, whether 400 pages, or 122. Loved Ice Station, but perhaps preferred Scarecrow.

As for techno thrillers, try Tin Man by Dale Brown.

message 11: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim | 4 comments Will give it a try. Thanks!