The Next Best Book Club discussion

TNBBC's Lists > Some of the most Popular, Longest Novels ever written

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Suraj (new)

Suraj Mahant | 7 comments I've tried to compile a list of some of the longest books ever published. http://www.freepaperbook.com/some-of-... . These books have also been best sellers and liked by many.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 2 comments Some of those are already on my list to read, and others will be added. Thanks for the list. :)

message 3: by N (new)

N | 104 comments I've read Les Miserables, War and Peace and A suitable boy - of the three I preferred A Suitable Boy.

message 4: by Suraj (new)

Suraj Mahant | 7 comments N wrote: "I've read Les Miserables, War and Peace and A suitable boy - of the three I preferred A Suitable Boy."

A suitable boy is definitely a book not to miss, it's long but still captivating

message 5: by Suraj (new)

Suraj Mahant | 7 comments Infinite Jest is something i am looking forward to read.

message 6: by Kyly (new)

Kyly (mermaid121) I want to read war and peace. It sounds really good!

message 7: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 193 comments I made it through War and Peace, but I wouldn't put it in my top 100.

A long and popular book was The Stand by Stephen King.

message 8: by Kyly (new)

Kyly (mermaid121) cool

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Rizza (michaeljamesrizza) | 7 comments Many big name Postmodern writers were trying to write long, dense, encyclopedic novels: Gaddis's The Recognitions, Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow, Barth's Sot-weed Factor, DeLillo's Underworld, Power's Gold Bug Variations. Infinite Jest is part of this list (or postmodern tradition)

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Rizza (michaeljamesrizza) | 7 comments Are any of these popular, though?

message 11: by Albert (new)

Albert | 17 comments Stephen King's The Stand. One of my favorites but it has ruined me for much of his later work.

message 12: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) I loved The Count of Monte Cristo. It's dang long.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Reese (melissareese) | 3 comments I love Les Miserable rather it is the novel, musical, movie, etc. I also agree The Stand by Stephen king. another favorite of mine are The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (_afkbookworm_) I've not really read much of the better known books, what's a suitable boy about? And Obviously I've heard of war and peace but is it a good book?

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan Elliott Sara ♥ wrote: "I loved The Count of Monte Cristo. It's dang long."
I second that emotion. It's one of my absolute favorite novels of all time and the performance on Audible is quite good. It makes a great value for one credit!

message 16: by Suraj (new)

Suraj Mahant | 7 comments Jessica wrote: "I've not really read much of the better known books, what's a suitable boy about? And Obviously I've heard of war and peace but is it a good book?"

Suitable boy is a post freedom Novel set in India - and how traditions and culture in aristocratic families was used as an excuse to maintain wealth and power. A girls struggle to live life on her own terms - to choose a suitable grrom for herself rather than a one chosen by her family.

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (_afkbookworm_) Suraj wrote: suitable boy is a post freedom Novel set in India - and how traditions....

Thanks Suraj!

message 18: by N (new)

N | 104 comments And it's also about love, life, family, unity, betrayal, heartbreak and joy. Plus in my none Indian capacity as a reader an insight into life and rules, tradition and beliefs in Indian culture. Facinating but not a patch on A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. In fact I'd say all three books Les Miserables, War and Peace and a Suitable Boy are very similar in the depth and details of characters and have a similar theme of happiness and struggle from very different view points and points in History. War and Peace a families struggle with War and it's effects but a basic story of humanity, Les Miserables is an ensemble cast dealing with the after effects of Rebellion and War.

message 19: by Mkooo (last edited Sep 05, 2013 01:49AM) (new)

Mkooo | 3 comments What about sagas like The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy, The Dukays by Lajos Zilahy, In Search of a Lost Time by Marcel Proust, Quiet Flows the Don by Mikhail Sholokov, The Gulag Archipelago by Alexandr Solzhenitsyn... there are more surely that I don't know of

Also some of the long ones The Karamazov Brothers by Dostoyevsky, The Arabian Nights, In the First Circle by Solzhenitsyn

Not to forget the 4 classic Chinese novels ( Water Margin, Romance of Three Kingdoms, Journey to the West, Dream of the Read Chamber ), they are immense and they remain my wish to read in future, if i ever find them in the first place, pretty much the same goes for Solzhenitsyn all I can fin of him is a One Day of Life of Ivan Denisovich

message 20: by Suraj (new)

Suraj Mahant | 7 comments most of them are i guess series or published in more than 1 volume that is why they are not mentioned here.

message 21: by Mkooo (last edited Sep 08, 2013 01:40AM) (new)

Mkooo | 3 comments Suraj wrote: "most of them are i guess series or published in more than 1 volume that is why they are not mentioned here."

OK, still good to know about them...
I remembered one more Ulysses by James Joyce if it's not already mentioned

message 22: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Rogers | 6 comments Middlemarch is great.
War and Peace is OK although the essay sections are dull.
Les Mis is great.
Sarum: A novel of England...wonderful.

message 23: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova is around 700 pages. I have yet to read it because of the length but I have read the synopsis and its definitely up my alley.

Under the Dome by Stephen King is in the 1000s and I think if i wanted to read this I would stick to the mini series on tv.

message 24: by N (new)

N | 104 comments The Historian is a good book, I'm honestly shocked that it's that long?!? I read it years ago and I would have just sais it was 'normal length', 700 pages? Really?

I agree that War and Peace was something I was very happy to have finished and can wear the 'I survived' T-shirt!

Stephen King books like the Stand are so epic that the length is necessary :)

message 25: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) The Historian is 752 pages to be exact. Don't get me wrong when your really into a book sometimes one tends to overlook such lengths but that to me is too much. I'm a big Vlad the Impaler fan. but not sure if I can find time to dedicate for such a book. Perhaps at some point...

message 26: by N (new)

N | 104 comments Yes definitely you are so right, when reading a great book you can't wait till the end yet you never want it to finish! Like I said good book but Dracula is so much better!

message 27: by Jude (new)

Jude (jude911) | 4 comments What about the Michener novels. They are pretty big but also way good.

message 28: by Karen (new)

Karen (karinlib) War and Peace is my favorite novel, but I do have a soft spot for Michener's large tomes.