Something Old, Something New discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Discussions > October 2013 'Member's Choice' Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Michelle (shelld79) | 754 comments Mod
In order to give everyone enough notice to obtain the books if they so choose, I thought I would start a nomination thread now for our two 'Member's Choice' reads.
So, if anyone wishes to nominate a book or two for us to read in addition to those I choose (I haven't fully decided yet!) I'll collate the results and run a poll where we can all vote.
Nominations will be open until the 8th September and then I'll put up a poll for voting.
For our first nomination month I think we might just allow any genre and see what everyone comes up with.

BTW - If anyone has any other suggestions on how we can best accommodate everyone in the nomination and/or voting process and whether doing it this far in advance is suitable please don't hesitate to let me know.

Have fun!

message 2: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 140 comments That seems fair to me Michelle. It seems to work for other groups and it does help knowing the book a bit in advance, especially when you're reading other books for other challenges as well!!! I won't be nominating this time round but look forward to seeing what others come up with. I'm going to struggle to fit more in I think but like your typical addict I couldn't resist another fix!!!

message 3: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Ok, so to make nominations that little bit easier and to give some guides as to book choices, what if we say that for the month of October all the books nominated have to be associated with the letter 'A' in some way? Either the title starts with this letter or the author's surname.
C'mon, don't be scared, just a couple of book choices is all we need to start some great discussions.

message 5: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Sharon wrote: "I nominate Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight"

Ooooh, thanks for kicking off the nominations! I've heard a bit about this book lately and it sounds interesting.

message 6: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Ok, so we have only another couple of days before I wanted to let everyone know what the members choice for October was going to be.
If there aren't any other nominations then Reconstructing Amelia will automatically get chosen plus I'll just decide on another one to add to the list as well.

message 7: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Ok, well as there were no other nominations Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight is going to be deemed our October Member's Choice read.
Hopefully we can have a few people join in on reading this book as the more people discussing a book the more fun it is to read :-)

message 8: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 140 comments So do we have until the end of October to read it, Michelle? If so I'm in. I just looked it up and it's available at my local library so that makes it easy. It sounds like an interesting read too.

message 9: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Elaine wrote: "So do we have until the end of October to read it, Michelle? If so I'm in. I just looked it up and it's available at my local library so that makes it easy. It sounds like an interesting read too."

Hi Elaine, yep, you have all of October to read it (and beyond if you are like me and take on too many group reads and always fall behind :-))
I won't ever close a book discussion thread once a month is over, I'll just move them to the archive section to keep everything tidy and current so any books with a discussion thread can be talked about forever if anyone can't get to it in the current month.
It is a casual reading group after all!

message 10: by Elaine (last edited Sep 11, 2013 04:27AM) (new)

Elaine | 140 comments Sounds good to me. Thanks Michelle. I like your philosophy. Life is busy and stressful enough without having to make something that's generally enjoyable turn into a chore. Having said that though I just keep adding more and more books to my TBR. I wonder if I will live long enough to read them all??!!!!

message 11: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Elaine wrote: "Sounds good to me. Thanks Michelle. I like your philosophy. Life is busy and stressful enough without having to make something that's generally enjoyable turn into a chore. Having said that though ..."

Haha, I know what you mean. That's why I created this group because I was starting to feel too pressured in others because I couldn't read virtually a book a day like everyone else. I don't know how some people do it! I'm lucky if I can finish one book a week.
At my current TBR level (only counting the books I actually own and not ones I also have on my wishlist) I have enough reading material for at least the next seven or eight years at my current reading speed, and that's assuming I don't add any more which is just ridiculous!!! At least it's a safe and clean addiction :-)

message 12: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 140 comments Yes I agree completely and definitely there are much worse things to be addicted to.

message 13: by Simone (new)

Simone Ramone (simoneramone) | 19 comments I'd nominate The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway.
The first time I read it, the copy I was given had no cover, the book blew me away, and when I realised it was a true story, I sat with my head in my hands, stunned, for quite a while.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Reconstructing Amelia (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kimberly McCreight (other topics)