Better Read Than Dead- YA Books discussion

All about You > How did your love for books begin?

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Personally, my addiction to books started when I was 5 and I read the Magic Treehouse series.

message 2: by Christen (new)

Christen | 6 comments I started reading when I was 11 and Harry Potter walked in my life.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Kat wrote: "and plus i have to like books now because my sister is going to b an English teacher"
Wow..lol.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

That's pretty cool. My family are dentists, technicians, accountants, and lawyers (the boring jobs!)

message 5: by Liv (new)

Liv Mine started after I read Inkheart by Cornelia Funke in 2nd or 3rd grade. I think I was 9.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Kat wrote: "LivedOneThousandLives wrote: "Mine started after I read Inkheart by Cornelia Funke in 2nd or 3rd grade. I think I was 9."

you must have been a strong reader"

Ikr, reading Inkheart when you're nine :O

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken (kensamcampo) no idea, but it may end

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Jolie wrote: "Personally, my addiction to books started when I was 5 and I read the Magic Treehouse series."

That's the EXACT same thing that happened to me! I was four though and i read the gorilla Magic Treehouse book. Still freakishly similar :D

message 9: by Lu (new)

Lu Gualdieri (lugualdieri) When I was 9, my mom gave me one of her mistery books, by a french author called Olivier Sechan. So when everybody was reading Harry Potter, I was reading mistery novels.
Honestly, I hope my love for books never ends.

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam (semanthia) | 21 comments Mod
My addiction became when I watched my grandmother read all the time and when she passed away I picked up a book and it was amazing. My mom had to take my book away from, and I was just always like this world it lies give me my book back I'm safe there. My punishment when I'm grounded now is my mom will take away my books :/

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken (kensamcampo) But my love for Ender's game won't end

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

CrushonBrendenCote. Boromir wrote: "But my love for Ender's game won't end"

Haha, that's nice to know :)

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (Elmira001) I first started loving books after reading Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I started loving books as a kid when my older brothers and parents would read me every Dr. Suess book then in elementary school we had annual Scholastic book fairs, where I bought my first book of my own, a Goosebumps book!! =)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Savannah wrote: "I started loving books as a kid when my older brothers and parents would read me every Dr. Suess book then in elementary school we had annual Scholastic book fairs, where I bought my first book of ..."

I used to be obsessed with goosebumps! As in I read nearly every single one

message 16: by Fatima (new)

Fatima | 5 comments I started when i was 6 or 7 and the first books i read were the adventures of the magic key

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Natalya wrote: "Savannah wrote: "I started loving books as a kid when my older brothers and parents would read me every Dr. Suess book then in elementary school we had annual Scholastic book fairs, where I bought..."

Thanks to my library at school when I was young, I am pretty sure I HAVE read every single one! Haha.

message 18: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) It started with Dr.Seuss's books then Harry Potter. :) I also read anthologies before (True Philippine Ghost Stories)

message 19: by Bek (new)

Bek When my mom read to me once, then it clicked. I hated that I couldn't read and was glad when I learned in kindergarten.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

My obsession with book's started before I was even in school. My sisters first book was called The Giving Tree and I listened to her and my mother read it every night. I love that book and it was also my first book that I earned how to read. Now that I'm older the book's kind of sad.

message 21: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean When I was little I used to get read to by my mom and sister. My mom loves books and that rubbed off on me. She works in the library and as a kid always got me the new release books early so I read them before everyone else!

message 22: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Hrcisme) | 34 comments I have an Uncle who used to stop by my house sometimes after work and I would always read him a new Dr. Seuss book (when I was like 4,5, and 6.
Since I was 4 I've had a friend who was serious about reading, writing, and drawing- It rubbed off on me.
I've basically grown up reading. In third grade Harry Potter changed my life.

message 23: by Tayla (new)

Tayla Robichaud (trobes7x) Summer reading got me started, I picked a series read by accident and then got hooked

message 24: by Wayan (new)

Wayan | 27 comments i think the christmas when i was umm 10 i think
i got the book
utterly me clarice been by lauren child and that's sorta what got me readin'!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Wayan wrote: "i think the christmas when i was umm 10 i think
i got the book
utterly me clarice been by lauren child and that's sorta what got me readin'!"

Oh yeah! I remember that book! I think its what got me into realistic fiction :)

message 26: by E.j. (new)

E.j. | 7 comments My love of reading started with a children's book adaptation of Oliver Twist. I read for three days straight, and didn't put it down. I loved that book.

message 27: by Margarita (new)

Margarita Bastar (margaritareads) I imagine before I was concious enough to remember, it began with my mom reading us a million books as kids, but I used to read the Laura Ignalls Wilder series, The Babysitters Club, Little Women, Huckleberry Finn, The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie, and a bunch more in elementary school :)

message 28: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 25 comments Has anyone read Lyle Lyle Crocodile? If you're not hooked to books after that than good luck!

message 29: by Monika (new)

Monika (moxx) I have always enjoyed listening to fairytales when I was little and I would learn them by heart back at times I couldn't read yet.

When I learned how to read, I read books that my mom bought for me and when I was 9, I started visiting the local library and I think that it was the moment when I got bitten by the reading bug :).

message 30: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 25 comments Monika wrote: "I have always enjoyed listening to fairytales when I was little and I would learn them by heart back at times I couldn't read yet.

When I learned how to read, I read books that my mom bought for ..."

Yay for the library~! :)

message 31: by Monika (new)

Monika (moxx) Library is such an amazing place! :) Although I hardly visit it anymore because I have an ebook reader now.

message 32: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 25 comments Have you used Amazons digital library or something like that?

message 33: by Monika (new)

Monika (moxx) No, I haven't, I usually download books that are for free.

message 34: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 25 comments I don't have an e-reader but I was under the impression Amazon's library was free, no?

message 35: by Monika (new)

Monika (moxx) Adam: I don't know. It might be :).

message 36: by Elise (new)

Elise (jewessaloover) | 3 comments It would be probably because when I had started reading I would pretend to be the character I was reading about . I would see the it was going in the book in my head. So that's why I love to read.

message 37: by Elise (new)

Elise (jewessaloover) | 3 comments Right now I'm reading Insurgent by Veronica Roth and Inkheart by Cornelia Funke but when I started getting into it I was reading the Judy B. books I think that's what they were called I really don't remember.

message 38: by Adam (new)

Adam (amilesb) | 25 comments Elise wrote: "It would be probably because when I had started reading I would pretend to be the character I was reading about . I would see the it was going in the book in my head. So that's why I love to read."

I think this is the most fun way to read. You get to experience the world that the characters are in and it makes the drama more intense. Its also fun to do this imagining yourself as one of the side characters... it totally pushes the main character into a new light!

message 39: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 9 comments My love of books started when I was young. My favorites were The Little House on the Prairie series, Anne of Green Gables and Charlotte's Web.

My obsession with books started a few years ago with Twilight. I haven't been able to stop reading since! I was even inspired to write one.

Reading is an escape for me. I love entering these worlds and finding adventure, even if for only for 20 min here and there.