The Book Thief The Book Thief discussion

Death WILL narrate in the movie

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

bookworm25 Markus Zusak confirmed in on his official facebook today.

He said in a status update today:

"Sophie, Geoffrey, Emily, Ben and Nico all look magnificent…and I will just say to all the loyal readers out there who might be wondering if Death narrates the actual film, as he does in the book:

The answer is an emphatic
YES.

Whilst I’m able to tell you that detail, I can’t say anything else just yet – except that I’m looking forward to seeing how Death enters the screen, and to hearing him speak. Whatever happens, I can leave you now with two small but certain facts:

Just as he does in the book, Death will help look after us.
And he’ll do his very best."

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Funderburk Great news! wonder who it will be.

Claire Wait...there's going to be a movie?

Holy smokes. This has the potential to be AWESOME. Of course, we all say that a beloved book will make a wonderful movie, and then the movie comes out and it doesn't meet our high expectations.

But if Zusak seems to like it so far, and Death is going to narrate...well it seems to be off on the right foot.

bookworm25 Sam wrote: "Great news! wonder who it will be."

I think they may leave it as a surprise until the movie premieres.

Iman27 Looks like the person playing Death will be a surprise. MY GUESS IS IT'S ZUSAK WHO WILL BE NARRATING. Or not. But it'll be cool if he's a part of the movie and not just behind the scenes.

bookworm25 Iman27 wrote: "Looks like the person playing Death will be a surprise. MY GUESS IS IT'S ZUSAK WHO WILL BE NARRATING. Or not. But it'll be cool if he's a part of the movie and not just behind the scenes."

That would be so awesome! I heard another person say that he/she hopes that it's Morgan Freeman narrating, and I have to agree, I could totally see him narrating as Death.

message 7: by JO (new) - rated it 5 stars

JO Foreverhopeful21 wrote: "Markus Zusak confirmed in on his official facebook today.

He said in a status update today:

"Sophie, Geoffrey, Emily, Ben and Nico all look magnificent…and I will just say to all the loyal read..."

Oh this is good news, but I hope it is not Morgan Freeman, I want someone different, he has narrated many things. The author although I have never heard him is cool idea for narrator he certainly knows the motivation behind everything.

message 8: by Inês (new) - added it

Inês GREAT NEWS ^^ Wounder who will she be

Kornelia In my opinion Death's identity should kept mysterious. The narrator's voice (being male, I assume) is a key influence in a movie.
Since everyone can interpret Death differently, a voice is a risk for too much revelation... Male... Female... Hermaphrodite... Figment... A voice is a restriction because everyone envisioned "something" while reading. That "something" cannot be categorized... Or put in a box... It's Death!

message 10: by Nick (last edited Aug 27, 2013 02:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick My guess:

Strong possibility: Liam Neeson

Sounds oddly familiar: James Earl Jones

Rank outsiders: Casey Kasem, Ellen DeGeneres

message 11: by JO (new) - rated it 5 stars

JO Liam Neeson would be good he would have gravitas and yet also comforting. hahaha on the rank outsiders. How about Joan rivers

Carina I agree Liam Neeson would be a great choice... I'd be happy with an unknown getting it though so long as it keeps the same qualities Death has in the book.

I kind of hope they have a bit of Death in the next trailer otherwise January is too long to wait!

Rebecca Carina wrote: "I agree Liam Neeson would be a great choice... I'd be happy with an unknown getting it though so long as it keeps the same qualities Death has in the book.

I kind of hope they have a bit of Death ..."

I thought the movie was set to come out this November?

Kaleigh I hole someone awesome play's death's voice (in a way I hope their voice is almost haunting at parts, that'd be cool). To be honest, I just really hope they pick someone great for Rudy because I feel like this is going to be frustrating for me since I had such a clear picture of him in my head. I loved Rudy!

Selene {нєιя σf ℓυиα} Claire wrote: "Wait...there's going to be a movie?

Holy smokes. This has the potential to be AWESOME. Of course, we all say that a beloved book will make a wonderful movie, and then the movie comes out and it do..."

By The Angel. I watched the trailer and cried! DON'T DISAPPOINT ME AGAIN (for like the 30th time), HOLLYWOOD!!

Victoria Claire wrote: "Wait...there's going to be a movie?

Holy smokes. This has the potential to be AWESOME. Of course, we all say that a beloved book will make a wonderful movie, and then the movie comes out and it do..."

you speak my words exactly :)

Carina Rebecca wrote: "I thought the movie was set to come out this November?"

Depends where you live. US get it November, UK in January. Not sure about any other countries.

Rebecca Carina wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "I thought the movie was set to come out this November?"

Depends where you live. US get it November, UK in January. Not sure about any other countries."

oh got it, thanks! I didn't think about that. Well I am sure that the actor for death will be spoiled by January.

Carina Most likely you're right - would be nice to hear it though and get an idea rather than just be told who is voicing it...

message 20: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya Yes! Hopefully the movie will be pretty close to the book... Can't wait for November 15!

Andrew I hope its Allan Corduner, he read the audio book and did a fantastic job

message 22: by Feliks (last edited Nov 03, 2013 09:24PM) (new)

Feliks Yawn! There's no actors --much less a director--worth a damn these days, umm, acting? In the internet age? They put more effort into their Twitter accounts and their plastic surgery than their acting skills. No matter how great a story you want to see made, sorry..fail! Should have been written back in an era when a film industry could have met the challenge.

Harii Claire wrote: "Wait...there's going to be a movie?

I was shocked too when I saw the trailer while watching tv, I had to rewind it to be sure.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Apparently Death is being played by Roger Allam. Don't know who he is, but he better play Death well!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Let's hope he lives up to the wonderful character Markus Zusak created!

Marci I love the way he worded the status update! But how do you suppose they are going to animate the parts where death interacts with the souls he's taking?

Pippa Russell I really wish they would have the girl who plays Liesel also play death. Mostly because of the line where death says if you want to know what I look like, go and have a look in the mirror.

message 28: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Sam wrote: "Great news! wonder who it will be."

it comes out in like 7 days or something