Speaker Geeks! discussion

What Do You Think (General)? > Should women have to give up their jobs to have kids?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maddison (new)

Maddison (Brainyboots) | 463 comments discuss

message 2: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
This is one of those things that you have to think long and hard about before having kids. While I don't think that a woman should have to give up her job forever just because she had a child, I DO believe that she should be willing to stay at home for a little while to take care of her baby. I don't think it's right to just have a kid and immediately put him/her into a daycare center or something of the sort UNLESS the mother is an unmarried, single, working mom who has no other option. THEN there's a reason to (I'm talking almost immediately after the birth). But a child needs his mother, and I think that, if the yearly income can support it, a new mother should stay at home for a while to take care of her baby before returning to work.

message 3: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
(Ah, I see now...thanks!)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

No they should not HAVE to, that's the first thing I'd like to say. (Because of the title.)
I like how my mom did it.
Okay, so I was adopted and she stayed home for a while. Then she had my sister, and stayed home (we're only nine onths apart) with a helper person. Like a nanny or whatever. And my mom started working part time.
She still works part-time, but up to 30 hours a week, and side jobs with out school disctrict.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, moms get days off from their work whether you are a teacher or a nurse. I know I want to become a teacher, so hopefully, my kids will be summer babies so I can stay at home then return to work at the right time by the time they should be weaned. I don't think moms should be forced to stay home or lots of couples wouldn't want kids because without that second income they can't afford it.

I say its all that family's choice.

message 6: by Evan (new)

Evan (sampsom) | 578 comments I'm a man. And if I get married and both of us are in full time jobs. We would discuss what we do. I'd be happy to quit work and become a "house husband" looking after the children and doing the regular chores. I don't think it is even necessary to give up your job. Many workplaces are considering having a nursery to look after the small children of employees who give birth. If you can afford it. Hire a nanny or send your child to a nursery it is a move that will benefit the economy.

message 7: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, Lend me your ears! (new)

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ (charlie_awesome) | 91 comments Mod
People are quick to criticize women for keeping their jobs, but never seem to recognize that men should be doing half the work. Women's jobs are just as important as men's most times. It depends on what you do, and how your martial situation is. In some countries, parents can get nearly a year paid maternity leave, and are able to split it up between the father and mother!

message 8: by Victor (new)

Victor (ace-geek) No, they shouldn't have to. Being a-stay-at-home parent should be a choice. Working while being a mother doesn't make a woman less of a mother. As long as the baby is taken care of by the father/a nanny/daycare/other, I don't see that it matters. And nowadays there are families that absolutely need two incomes to keep going.