Speaker Geeks! discussion

Ethical Debates > Vital organ removal

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maddison (last edited Aug 21, 2013 07:57PM) (new)

Maddison (Brainyboots) | 463 comments Which means removing organs from a person to save someone else.

discuss.

message 2: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
It depends on whether the removal was agreed upon by the donor. You know, it's funny that you bring this up because I'm reading My Sister's Keeper right now.

message 3: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
Like, if someone agrees to give a kidney or part of their liver, then fine. But if they don't want to, it becomes an ethical debate.

message 4: by Maddison (new)

Maddison (Brainyboots) | 463 comments Leah wrote: "It depends on whether the removal was agreed upon by the donor. You know, it's funny that you bring this up because I'm reading My Sister's Keeper right now."

Most of the donors are dead so that's a little complicated. But they have brain death now which means if they are still breathing but their brain has died they can take the organs and avoid legal debates

message 5: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
Okay, okay, I was taking that in a different way. You can choose whether or not you want to be an organ donor while you're alive, so technically, it's still your choice. Otherwise, can your family choose for you to donate organs after you've died?

message 6: by Maddison (new)

Maddison (Brainyboots) | 463 comments Mostly

message 7: by Leon (new)

Leon Mare (LeonMare) | 4 comments Just so glad I lived so fast that I have practically used up my organs. Probably beyond "use by" date.

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (turwaithielgreenleaf) | 17 comments In our religious education class we had to choose a topic that we had learnt about and write an essay on it. I chose organ donation. The statement that I was writing about was 'The government should issue a law that presumes consent fir donating organs'. Basically it was just have everybody on the database without consent (apart from unfit people) UNLESS they opt-out. This would mean that the NHS would not have a dwindling supply of organs, because if everyone is on the opt-in list then some of them are sure to get brain dead someday.
The point that I made was yes. They should enforce this list to regain the organ supply. But I think that if they were to do this, they would have to make a big deal of being able to opt out. For example, letters through the door and television adverts which tell the reader/viewer that they have an option to opt-out of the donation if they wish. I also made sure that young children (around under ten) should not be part of this, but should instead choose to opt-in if them or their parents wants them on the list.

message 9: by Xdyj (last edited Aug 21, 2013 11:24PM) (new)

Xdyj | 127 comments Turwaithiel (nicole) wrote: "In our religious education class we had to choose a topic that we had learnt about and write an essay on it. I chose organ donation. The statement that I was writing about was 'The government shoul..."

I agree. I think many ppl are fine with the idea of donating organs after death but are just too lazy to sign up for it.

message 10: by T.J. (new)

T.J. Person's choice. I honestly don't know why more people haven't done this. I mean, when you're dead, you're dead. It's cool to know that you could save a life even after yours is over :)

message 11: by Leon (new)

Leon Mare (LeonMare) | 4 comments Jip, it sure beats "ashes to ashes".

message 12: by T.J. (last edited Aug 27, 2013 01:56PM) (new)

T.J. H99 wrote: "I think that after you're dead, it shouldn't matter anymore, if you're saving someone's life, but I'm not going to be an organ donor until I'm much older. I have an irrational fear that if I were i..."

Yeah, I see what you're coming from. To me, a person who is still ALIVE (coma, whatever) should STILL HAVE THE RIGHTS TO HIS OR HER OWN BODY. After death, it doesn't matter, but if that person never once said, "hey if I go into a coma, let me die," than that person should try to be saved. That's my opinion on it because I've had people tell me that people should be able to be taken off of life support without their consent. Yeah, if there's NO HOPE for them, but if there is, they have a right to that chance at life.

Sorry, getting off topic.

message 13: by Evan (new)

Evan (sampsom) | 578 comments I think if people wish to give their organs then let them. It is their choice and they are doing a very noble thing. I'm unable to give my organs but I would if I could. The thought that I could save someones life is one that I would be proud of.