What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Corporations taken over the world/ set on another planet/ digital copies of people

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Nov 02, 2017 05:35AM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments This book was (mis)classified as Paranormal romance. It is straight science fiction.

A girl goes to another planet with the digital copy of her grandmother. There are other digital copies of her grandmother running various parts of the big evil corporation.

On this planet there is a large forest that voids all electronic signatures (view spoiler)
The girl and a rebel guy of some sort are fighting back against the corporations, though against what specifically I can't remember.

I can't remember much else from the book. I would have read it within the past 4-8 years, and I don't think it was a very old book.

*2017 update it would be the past 8-12 years since I read it now.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments Do you remember if the book was targeted towards adults or young adults?

message 3: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments I'm pretty sure it was targeting adults. The characters were young, but out of their teens I think.

message 4: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments bump

message 5: by Brian (new)

Brian (furicle) The unincorporated series by dani kollin has some if these elements, and I've only read one if them... Perhaps check them out.

message 6: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Nov 01, 2013 05:25AM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments It's similar, but that's not the book. Thanks for the try.

I'm pretty sure it's a stand alone (but I could be wrong) The main character is female (but it's possible we saw from the guy's perspective as well)

message 7: by Shanna_redwind (new)

message 8: by Shanna_redwind (new)

message 9: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Not an exact match, but perhaps The Margarets?

message 10: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Jun 17, 2014 05:32PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments No, that's not it, but thanks for the try. It looks like an interesting book.

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a well known author, mainly for that fact that I can't believe that an author known in the sci-fi field would write and publish a science fiction under a paranormal romance label.

message 11: by Shanna_redwind (new)

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Ok, not exactly it, but evil corportation and a copy (cloned) of the 2 mc's ancestor. Young Rissa

message 13: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments That's not it, but thanks for trying.

message 14: by Shanna_redwind (new)

message 15: by Grey (new)

Grey Wolf | 49 comments A bit tangental but have a look at Elizabeth Moon?

message 16: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments I looked through her works. I didn't see it, but thanks for the try.

message 17: by Shanna_redwind (new)

message 18: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
The Bar Code Rebellion by Suzanne Weyn? Here's a review on Goodreads that mentions the heroine's grandmother - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 19: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Thanks, but I've read that one recently and I know that's not it.

message 20: by Shanna_redwind (new)

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3 comments 'On a Clear Day' by Walter Dean Meyers? I believe I read the book you're talking about in middle school, and the description of this book sounds really similar. It was so long ago though that I'm really not sure...hopefully!

message 22: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments could it be Zendegi by Greg Egan?

message 23: by Kris (new)

Links for Rachel and Stormhawk's suggestions:
On a Clear Day by Walter Dean Myers
Zendegi by Greg Egan

message 24: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Thanks for the suggestions, but neither one was it.

I suspect that the author is female, only because I remember it was labeled Paranormal Romance, and there's not too many men writing under that label.

I don't know that the girl was originally fighting against the corporation, at least not actively. But I know she did start actively fighting at some point in the book.

message 25: by Shanna_redwind (new)

message 26: by Kris (new)

What does a "digital copy" of her grandmother look like? Where does it appear? Is it a sentient (A.I.) program?

message 27: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments It's a sentient program that she carries around in her computer. The other copies are in computers running the big evil corporation, which had became more evil when the copies started running it. I'm not sure if they had a way to get into robots or something, but the original grandma that she had with her just traveled around in the main characters computer.

message 28: by Kris (last edited Mar 23, 2015 07:50AM) (new)

How and why is a computer program of her grandmother created?
How did her grandmother die?

(For example, in Goodbye for Now, the programmer-love-interest creates a "digital copy" of her grandmother to help her with the grieving process.)

message 29: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments I don't remember how her grandmother died. I think the original copy was made so that she could continue to function. The extra copies that are running the corporation I think may be like AI's running things with her personality, only it corrupted and her humanity was lost after the original digital grandma. The original copy that she carries around with her was still human in her reactions.

message 30: by Shanna_redwind (new)

message 31: by Shanna_redwind (new)

message 32: by Lou (new)

Lou Rocama | 436 comments Maybe one of Tony Ballantyne's AI books?

Recursion
Capacity
Divergence

I skimmed them all at the same time, so couldn't say which your description made me think of.

message 33: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Thanks for the try, but it's none of those. I'm pretty sure that it was a stand-alone. Those look good though.

message 35: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Close Kaion, but I'm sure that's not it. Mine was definitely a full length book. I wonder how many digital grandmothers stories are out there.

Thanks for the try.

message 36: by Shanna_redwind (new)

message 37: by Shanna_redwind (new)

message 38: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Bump

message 39: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Thanks, I went through the list and didn't find it. I have the feeling that it wouldn't make it on to anyone's "best" list, though I enjoyed it.

message 40: by Shanna_redwind (new)

message 41: by Shanna_redwind (new)

message 42: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Bump for the new year

message 43: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Jun 01, 2017 02:24PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments When I say it was misclassified in the original thread, I mean that it actually said Paranormal Romance on the spine of the copy I read, which really bothered me because it was very obviously Science Fiction.

Bump

message 44: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments following

message 45: by Shanna_redwind (new)

message 46: by Shanna_redwind (new)

message 47: by Shanna_redwind (new)

message 48: by SBC (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 893 comments Maybe Strings by Dave Duncan? It's a grandson/grandmother relationship but there is a key female character his age and (although I can't remember it too well!) something to do with clones.

message 49: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Thanks for the try, SBC but it's not that book.

message 50: by Shanna_redwind (new)

« previous 1